Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

My reply to: Save Up To $75 Off A New Admirals Club Membership.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta, SPG, HHon, etc.

Dear Xxxxx Xxxxxx,

Time is running out for your exclusive offer! Join now to save up to $75* on a new Admirals ClubŪ membership.

If you join during the promotional period, you'll save $25 on a new annual membership, and if you purchase your membership with any American ExpressŪ Card, you'll save an additional $50. That's a total savings of $75! This offer expires February 15, 2010.

Please refer to the invitation we mailed to you in December, or present this email at any Admirals Club lounge to redeem this promotional offer^. To receive the applicable discount, please mention promotion code AXM if paying with an American Express Card, or promotion code A9M if paying with any other credit card.

The annual membership fee for our AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŪ customers is $350; with this offer, your annual fee could be as low as $275. That's less than $25 a month for access to conference rooms, complimentary Wi-Fi powered by T-MobileŪ HotSpot**, desktop PCs with internet access, complimentary coffee, tea, soft drinks and light snacks — all in a peaceful oasis away from the busy airport terminal.

We hope you will accept our invitation to this exclusive offer. To learn more about the Admirals Club lounge, visit www.aa.com/admiralsclub.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Nancy J. Knipp
President
Admirals Club
To which I replied...

Delta's SkyClub offers a three (3) year lounge membership for $600 for their second-highest elite tiers (it's completely free for their top tier).

SkyClub features unlimited free cocktails, free internet (WiFi), free hot food (in many locations) and even putting greens at some locations! To top it off, they give complimentary Regis Club memberships to SkyClub members for the duration of membership. That's a mere $200 a year for access to SkyClub and affiliated lounges globally.

As an Executive Platinum AAdvantage member, I'm in your top tier. You're offering an Admiral's Club membership for $275 for one (1) year where I would have to pay for cocktails and food? Furthermore, my home airport, LGA, has an Admiral's club that looks second-rate at best.

I would gladly reconsider this offer at a lower price; or if domestic American Airlines' Admiral's Club lounges were to change their offerings to be more in-tune with that of SkyClub. My husband is a SkyClub member. Spousal membership in SkyClub is only $475 for three years (that's $160/year) - do you offer a similar discounted spousal membership for same-sex couples?

I anxiously await your reply.

I still haven't heard anything back...

Honestly, in the US, Admiral's Club lounges are sad. If they were all like NRT then I'd jump on the offer!!

- Chaz AA EXECPLAT
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:43 am

I have to agree to the whole concept of this thread. It's a bit of a cheek.

Interesting last sentence but hey, whatever floats your boat!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
IANAL, but I suspect if you could document your spousal relationship with a marriage license or other civil union documentation, AC would likely grant you the spousal discount. Even with such docs, depending on the leanings of whomever was processing the membership or their management, you may still need to fight it. I don't claim to know AA's corporate or social policies here.

But, if this is something you are genuinely after, I think there are better ways to approach it than an oh-by-the-way addendum to a letter complaining about the product and price.

Not intended to be a political message here...
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
IMO the OP asks some interesting and pertinent questions - I only hope they were sent directly to Nancy K., and not into the AA cloudlet.

As for the question about spouses etc. reading aa.com lounge membership pages states

"Certificate of Marriage/Spousal Equivalency/Domestic Partner
To add a spouse, spousal equivalent/domestic partner to your Admirals Club membership, please complete the above form."

So, er, what's the question? If it's an equivalent discount, from reading the offer it appears not; if it's "does AA allow spousal membership to 'spousal equivalents' and domestic partners?" the answer is apparently so - and iirc have for some time.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
a) I agree with everything the first poster says. AC memberships offer the least bang for the buck in the industry. How come everyone else gets free beer* and reciprocal lounge access?

b) It also raises a question for me: I bought a lifetime membership back in 2005 before meeting my girlfriend. If we marry, can I add her to my lifetime membership? If so what is the cost?

*=UA RCC members get free beer when accessing lounges of partners such as US Air or Continental
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I completely dropped my AC membership last year and don't miss it.

Domestic desk agents can't do much for you anymore,
More food and drink choices in the terminal,
Wifi everywhere I go if I want it.

The only thing I've given up is easy access to FOXNews.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Spyder

Domestic desk agents can't do much for you anymore,
On what do you base that? IME, there has been no diminution in what the AAngels can do. We've had them do above-and-beyond rebooking/upgrade/reroute just a few weeks ago. No change at all in what they're capable of doing. Do you have sources for the comment, or just personal experience?

I will agree, though, that having a small airport club as "home" probably improves their willingness to do things; but the ability is definitely for the agents.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by brp
On what do you base that? IME, there has been no diminution in what the AAngels can do. We've had them do above-and-beyond rebooking/upgrade/reroute just a few weeks ago. No change at all in what they're capable of doing. Do you have sources for the comment, or just personal experience?

I will agree, though, that having a small airport club as "home" probably improves their willingness to do things; but the ability is definitely for the agents.

Cheers.
Are you suggesting that they did things for you in the club that the EXP line wouldn't have, or couldn't have accomplished? If so I congratulate you on your good fortune.

IMO, the EXP line is more consistently and broadly useful than the club agents. For me the value proposition of the club just isn't there anymore like it was even as recently as a few years ago when they could make things happen in a pinch.

Oh, and my comment about FOXNews was meant tongue-in-cheek. Should have added a smilie to make that more apparent.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:08 am

Are you suggesting that they did things for you in the club that the EXP line wouldn't have, or couldn't have accomplished? If so I congratulate you on your good fortune.

IMO, the EXP line is more consistently and broadly useful than the club agents. For me the value proposition of the club just isn't there anymore like it was even as recently as a few years ago when they could make things happen in a pinch.

Oh, and my comment about FOXNews was meant tongue-in-cheek. Should have added a smilie to make that more apparent.
completely agree, except that I never noticed any real benefit over the EXP line even years ago.

I can't think of any good reason to pay money for an AC membership. I sometimes wonder if the AC appeal has more to do with being "able to get in" than with any real benefit of being inside.

mc4bbs - really liked your letter. I think a lot of folks feel that way.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:11 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

My point is that the ability to "make things happen in a pinch" hasn't changed in the past few years. Whatever they could do before they can still do (and do do) now.

The EXP desk can do this in most cases, but not as quickly.

Recent example:

SJC-LAX-LHE-VIE. SJC-LAX is delayed. Pam tries to get us on the earlier SJC-LAX,but no go. Still enough time, though.

We order food at the club. Just as it arrives,Pam comes over to tell us that the SJC-LAX is further delayed (she's been watching) and we'll miss LAX-LHR. So, she's already rebooked us on SJC-ORD,leaving right now,hurry to the gate. Also booked ORD-LHR in time for LHR-VIE. Confirms upgrades and seats.We didn't even know we were in trouble yet. By the time we'd have found out, SJC-ORD would have been gone. Pam walked us to the gate to get is squared away.

And,while we're getting this done, the bartender/food person is wrapping our food and comes running out of the club with a bag as we board.

Yeah, they can still do things in a pinch. I can appreciate that the value prop is not there for some, depending upon the club. It is certainly there for us.

Last night another example, at LAX. LAX-SFO finally canceled after rolling delays. EXP desk rebooks on UA. Go to the desk at LAX AC to find out where UA are at LAX She looks at the record and sees that it wasn't quite right, and redoes the paper tickets for the transfer. And I don't expect much at the bigger clubs.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Obviously, the AC isn't for everybody. The clubs are pretty crowded now. If they made all the changes the OP proposes, you wouldn't be able to get in - the pax would be packed in like sardines. I say leave them the way they are.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: Various
I see where the OP is coming from in comparing the soft product of the clubs. AA could use some improvements in catering without a doubt, I think it got worse with the Amora brand.

I will say that in an essence, AC membership is free if you are top tier with AA. You just need to have signed up for the Elite Rewards promotion and hit 125k, one of your choices is a complimentary AC membership.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:55 am

This goes along with the earlier AC renewal thread. I don't disagree with the OP and I think my biggest gripe is the no free booze/charging way too much for bad wine thing.

AA does have a domestic partner benefit. I use it for a spousal membership. They do not require any proof really, but I suppose AA knows everything about me anyway.

I have never had any service that I would call particularly amazing on the ticketing front. Some of the bartenders are fantastic though.

The LGA situation does really irk me though - not being access it from the C gates actually makes me fly from JFK. I know there was talk of a walkway that was scrapped, but there has to be some option. A bus every 15 minutes? A zip line? Arrrgh, just please get me out of that nasty terminal before anything else drips from the ceiling!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I agree that AA could do a better job on the complimentary food. Also, maybe complimentary beer and wine maybe from 4PM to closing (and would have no problem with a small rate increase to cover the free beer and wine.)

I will say that the AC Angels can be amazing. Well above service for me in the last year at SNA, SFO, LGA, FRA, DFW, and ORD. So so service at LAX, GRU and BOS.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by mc4bbs
To top it off, they give complimentary Regis Club memberships to SkyClub members for the duration of membership. That's a mere $200 a year for access to SkyClub and affiliated lounges globally.

AC membership also has Regus Club membership . . . Or at least my AC membership does; I get a new Regus card/booklet every year - never do a darn thing w/it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.