Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is a flight attendant strike coming? (Discussion Sep 2010)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Is a flight attendant strike coming? (Discussion Sep 2010)

I searched the forum for this, and found an older thread that had been locked because it turned into an argument for/against unionization in general. So I hope it's OK to post this here, which I just saw on Bloomberg:
AMR May Face Attendant Strike Vote as Talks Near End

It says no strike is planned, but that they don't believe an agreement will be reached before talks end tomorrow night.

============================= MODERATOR NOTE===============================

This thread was for REASONABLE discussion and speculation regarding the possibility of a Flight Attendant strike. For information updates about such a strike, please see the thread entitled Flight attendant strike INFORMATION UPDATES ONLY (Sep - Oct 2010).

N.B. This is a "regulated" thread (regulated by the FlyerTalk TOS / Guidelines & Rules, as described here). This means no personal attacks, political or polemical discussion, etc. and for that reason has been CLOSED. For all-out discussion about the capitalist system, labor vs, management, etc. please go to the OMNI PR Forum.

Posts going to far off track will be summarily deleted; those earning warnings are subject to the FT Discipline system as shown in the TOS.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 26, 2010 at 9:49 am
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ehallison
I searched the forum for this, and found an older thread that had been locked because it turned into an argument for/against unionization in general. So I hope it's OK to post this here, which I just saw on Bloomberg:
AMR May Face Attendant Strike Vote as Talks Near End

It says no strike is planned, but that they don't believe an agreement will be reached before talks end tomorrow night.
Where do they anticipate any extraa money will come from? The airline is losing a lot of money.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Where do they anticipate any extraa money will come from? The airline is losing a lot of money.
That's why the last paragraph of the article says
“American is still not in a very good position to make financial concessions,” said Hunter Keay, an analyst with Stifel Nicolaus & Co. in Baltimore who has a “hold” rating on AMR. “That gives the flight attendants very little leverage. They can offer status quo and that’s probably the best scenario for the flight attendants.”
I don't know what the FAs are thinking.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Doghound

Probably the same thing that the ones at BA (already among the highest paid based on what I read) were thinking.

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Not like they can just raise checked baggage fees on a whim
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:01 pm

But they have excess $ to allocate free stock to the executives.
I am sure they would take the same stock grants as a % of salary the management team gets.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zman
I am sure they would take the same stock grants as a % of salary the management team gets.
This stock was already allocated as part of the compensation package for the executives. It's not as if they're just handing out a bunch of free stock for the hell of it. Understanding how executive compensation works really helps here (and I'm not talking about the abuses after-the-fact by the banks and such; that's quite different.)

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by zman
Perhaps AA should violate the executives' contracts by refusing to award this compensation. And while they're at it, they should refuse to pay pilots and FAs some of the compensation in their contracts.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:23 pm

deleted

Last edited by skylady; Jan 20, 2010 at 8:25 pm
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Doghound
Probably that in this environment, those who fail to stick up for themselves in negotiations are lost.

There's no indication at this point that they're being foolhardy or spiteful; in fact they have openly supported the ATI application, which is one of the more important variables in AA's future.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:31 pm

AA has the highest labor costs because they have the best employees in the industry (legacy carrier division). I could fly UA but don't because:

1) AA employees are almost always nice to me, especially the FAs. UA employees snarl at me.
2) FF program for top tier elites is second to none.

I've been more loyal to AA than I have been to significant others over the years. Don't go messing with what works or I may develop airline monogomy issues.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, 3 MM
credibility of AA management

AA management would look a lot more credible crying "I'm broke" if they had not very publicly offered to come up with $1 billion to rescue JAL.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Perhaps AA should violate the executives' contracts by refusing to award this compensation. And while they're at it, they should refuse to pay pilots and FAs some of the compensation in their contracts.
I may be mistaken, but isn't the issue that the FAs are currently working without a contract?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by lexington
AA management would look a lot more credible crying "I'm broke" if they had not very publicly offered to come up with $1 billion to rescue JAL.
I thought a part of the money they "offered" JAL was guaranteed revenue that they see already? Therefore, AA was actually offering up a lot less. Not to mention that a 3rd party, not AMR, was ponying up a lot of the cash to keep JAL around. Therefore, AA really doesn't have $1b in available cash.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I_Claudius
I may be mistaken, but isn't the issue that the FAs are currently working without a contract?
Not exactly. Under the Railway Labor Act (airlines are not covered by the NLRA), contracts never expire; they become "amendable" every so often (the term is agreed by the parties). The APFA (AA flight attendant union) contract became amendable about 20 months ago (May, 2008). Recently, the WN pilots ratified a new agreement that had become amendable in September, 2006, so long negotiations are not uncommon in the industry.

Originally Posted by lexington
Your post would be more credible if you'd not mischaracterized the size of AA's offer by more than a factor of three. AA has offered up to about $300 million in investment and has arranged for TPG to invest up to $1.1 billion:

In addition the proposal includes and improved capital investment of $1.4 billion which would include $1.1 billion from TPG and up to $300 million from AA oneworld. Should it be welcome and deemed appropriate by JAL in the Government of Japan, JAL’s restructuring will occur through a process similar to our chapter 11 process and it appears of this point that the prospect for an external capital investment is being downplayed by the parties involved in JAL’s restructuring.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1835...=yahoo&page=-1 (Tom Horton of AMR)

AA's proposed investment of about $300 million in JAL would be a one-time investment designed with the hope of preserving the relationship and the substantial revenue that relationship generates. AA's employee unions are currently demanding raises that total billions of dollars a year in on-going expenses. I'm confident you can see the fundamental difference between the two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.