Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAplause certs from before an expiration date was printed on them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond

I have a bunch of certs from previous years. They don't have an expiration date like the ones we got for 2009 that have a Feb 28, 2010 expiration date. Are the old certs still valid? Will the folks I give them too still get to cash them in? I'd like to still be able to give those out.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I used one on Sunday on 136 LAX-LHR. The FA was happy to receive it. I don't think that they get cash, -- rather, I believe that each one becomes an entry in some type of internal contest for prizes.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:58 am

It's all a big gamble, so why not try?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Yes, I'm aware of the lottery. I just didn't know if the older certs were still valid. I guess I'll give them out once the ones with expiration dates are handed out.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
If the certs don't have an expiration date on them, sadly they are expired. I received this information from an AA supervisor.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:50 am
Original Poster

That is disappointing. I'd hate to give someone a cert and they don't get their lottery entry.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by aspex
That is disappointing. I'd hate to give someone a cert and they don't get their lottery entry.
do anyone of us know where and how do u get more of the cert's since sometimes the once they give me with my card in the mail arent enough at times.....
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
do anyone of us know where and how do u get more of the cert's since sometimes the once they give me with my card in the mail arent enough at times.....
I've never been moved to give away all of them - Mrs. Gemac and I both get them, we always fly together, don't run into enough AA people doing more than the minimum to get through them. We do always follow up with an e-mail to AA Customer Service detailing who it was and what they did that was over and above expectations, and ask that it be put in the employee's folder.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
i find if you give them away before the flight -- you sometimes get treated a little better.
more of a bribe -- less of a reward for good service.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by spurg
i find if you give them away before the flight -- you sometimes get treated a little better.
more of a bribe -- less of a reward for good service.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by skylady
Is that a for the action of giving them away as a bribe, or that an FA might provide better service because you gave it to him/her?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
Do they really care about these?

I tried giving some of these certs to a ticket agent in SFO once, who didn't really want to take them, kind of indicating they weren't worth the paper they were printed on...

Haven't really passed out any since - huge stack sitting unused.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by gamehendge2000
I tried giving some of these certs to a ticket agent in SFO once, who didn't really want to take them, kind of indicating they weren't worth the paper they were printed on...
I tend to agree. I get the feeling that the gesture is appreciated, but that the cert itself is not so important to the recipient.

Cert or not, I do make it a point to thank the specific FA who provided service for my section of the flight.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Is that a for the action of giving them away as a bribe, or that an FA might provide better service because you gave it to him/her?
FAs shouldn't need a piece of paper to offer good service.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I tend to agree. I get the feeling that the gesture is appreciated, but that the cert itself is not so important to the recipient.

Cert or not, I do make it a point to thank the specific FA who provided service for my section of the flight.
For really good service, I write to AA via the website. One of the brilliant SJC AAngels went above-and-beyond recently and I wrote to AA. I spoke with her a few weeks later, and she thanked me for the letter, saying that the club manager had given her a copy, and such stuff does go in their files. I got the distinct impression that that did matter.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.