Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC in DFW Terminal D: Who else drinks Strongbow cider?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
AC in DFW Terminal D: Who else drinks Strongbow cider?

OK, so it's not the most important question in the world, but sometimes I do wonder whether we are the only folks who imbibe the Strongbow cider that is offered in the D Terminal's AC at DFW. Some of the bartenders don't even know that it is hiding in the cooler. We're not Brits, but we love this alternative to beer and wine. To our knowledge, no other clubs offer this fine beverage.

So, who else has a pre-flight quaff of fermented apple juice?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:11 pm

I had to look it up
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Had a snakebite last night at home. (Half Strongbow, half Guinness to the uninitiated) Don't fly through DFW too often though.

Chris
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Had a snakebite last night at home. (Half Strongbow, half Guinness to the uninitiated) Don't fly through DFW too often though.

Chris
Guinness? A true snakebite is half lager, half cider and, when a dash of blackcurrant cordial is added, it becomes a Purple Nasty! Last time I drank one of those was at university, quite a long time ago!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Guinness? A true snakebite is half lager, half cider
+1

and, when a dash of blackcurrant cordial is added, it becomes a Purple Nasty! Last time I drank one of those was at university, quite a long time ago!
...and if you add Pernod it becomes a real purple nasty. I definitely haven't had one of those since college. Probably wouldn't serve it in DFW AC!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Hmmm... well I guess I've been told the wrong item from the bars I've ordered it at. How about Bruised Apple? I've heard that as well.

Chris
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I spend a lot of time at DFW D and that is a new one on me.

Usually, I enjoy Makers + Coke or a Shiner Bock. Now I have another option.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO

Chris
Guinness? A true snakebite is half lager, half cider and, when a dash of blackcurrant cordial is added, it becomes a Purple Nasty! Last time I drank one of those was at university, quite a long time ago!
Actually, all the Snakebites I served involved Yukon Jack.

It wasn't the most popular shot but I probably served a couple every week...
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT
cocktail licence

i always remember when I was a student they refused to serve you snake bite in one drink. you had to order two separate half pints, with one of them in a pint glass - they always claimed it was against their licence to mix drinks this way.

i think technically a snake bite is just lager and cider, a snakebite and black is where the ribena comes in... either way - next time i'm in LHR AC
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by bmpeers
i always remember when I was a student they refused to serve you snake bite in one drink. you had to order two separate half pints, with one of them in a pint glass - they always claimed it was against their licence to mix drinks this way.

i think technically a snake bite is just lager and cider, a snakebite and black is where the ribena comes in... either way - next time i'm in LHR AC
Which state/country? In the US, alcoholic beverage matters are regulated by each state. And some states have very strange rules.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Spiff
I spend a lot of time at DFW D and that is a new one on me.

Usually, I enjoy Makers + Coke or a Shiner Bock. Now I have another option.
What he said... that's quite exciting news!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
britenbas is correct here. I've heard several variations on the stout/lager/cider build incorrectly named over the years.

Snakebite: Lager/Cider

Black Velvet: Guinness/Sparkling Wine

Priests Collar: Guinness/Cider

Black and Tan: Guinness/Bass

Half and Half: Guinness/Lager(Traditionally Harp)

Anything else is just drunken frat boys confusing their mixology terms. (Probably just before their mid-terms.)
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by AAbuzzard
OK, so it's not the most important question in the world, but sometimes I do wonder whether we are the only folks who imbibe the Strongbow cider that is offered in the D Terminal's AC at DFW. Some of the bartenders don't even know that it is hiding in the cooler. We're not Brits, but we love this alternative to beer and wine. To our knowledge, no other clubs offer this fine beverage.

So, who else has a pre-flight quaff of fermented apple juice?
I like Strong Bow ... used to buy it in the supermarket a few years back when I lived outside the DC area. Had no idea it was available at DFW. Thanks for the information.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.27M Hyatt Diamond Marriott SLVR HHonors GLD
Big fan of Strongbow! I'll be looking it up next time I'm in DFW - I assume we're talking about the draught cans rather than real draft cider...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT
sorry aamilesslave

i should clarify - i meant in the UK
but agree that the US does have some bizarre drinking rules sometimes.
I live in KY and regularly party to the early hours. I was in San Jose last year and was shocked to find everything closing at 1am!

Last edited by bmpeers; Jan 12, 2010 at 4:08 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.