Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I have recourse for downgrade on mileage award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Do I have recourse for downgrade on mileage award ticket?

Hello,

I have very little experience with American Airlines (I really only fly star alliance), so I would really appreciate some advice.

I booked an AA award ticket all on cathay first class from SFO to manilla via HKG. It was all confirmed and has been for several weeks (the flight is in january). I got an e-mail today stating that my HKG-manilla leg is now buisness class. I called American and they said that there was an equipment change from a 747 to an airbus and it was standard policy for cathay to then put milage tickets into buisness class due to smaller first class capacity on airbus. I was told there was nothing that could be done, that all flights on my day had no first class milage awards available. I asked to speak to a supervisor so that maybe they could call cathay directly to request my seat back. I was then told that "I am a level 65 supervisor, I am the highest there is and nothing can be done."

So, I feel like this was an involuntary downgrade in class of service on a confirmed ticket and that I am owed either my first class first class seat back or compensation. Am I wrong with this assumtion?

The problem is that I have no knowledge as to policy so I was not in a position to react to the downgrade with with any power of knowledge.

Any advice appreciated. THANKS!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
The unfortunate thing here is that AA have no control over the Cathay part. If, due to the change, there are no F seats, AA can't make that happen.

If the rest of your ticket is in F, they are not going to give back the difference between F and J. You may be able to get some partial miles back for the segment, but even that's not very likely as it would be hard to assess just how much. Although, if you do a reasonable calculation yourself and use it as a suggestion, it could help.

Of course, there is the alternative to cancel the trip and get all of your miles back. Because of the change AA would likely (although even that could take some talking) do it without any fees. But I have a feeling that that's not what you want.

I'd say that the best option is to do some calculation of a pro rated mileage difference for that leg and call with that as a suggestion.

It sucks, but these things do happen.

I just checked and it seems that SFO-HKG is 6927 miles while HKG-MNL is 711. Honestly,the prorated amount you'd be asking for would be so small (if it were reasonable) that it may not be worth the effort.

Cheers.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Call back and have them explain it to you again. When you get an answer you like, ask to have it put in the record.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by are8
Hello,

I have very little experience with American Airlines (I really only fly star alliance), so I would really appreciate some advice.

I booked an AA award ticket all on cathay first class from SFO to manilla via HKG. It was all confirmed and has been for several weeks (the flight is in january). I got an e-mail today stating that my HKG-manilla leg is now buisness class. I called American and they said that there was an equipment change from a 747 to an airbus and it was standard policy for cathay to then put milage tickets into buisness class due to smaller first class capacity on airbus. I was told there was nothing that could be done, that all flights on my day had no first class milage awards available. I asked to speak to a supervisor so that maybe they could call cathay directly to request my seat back. I was then told that "I am a level 65 supervisor, I am the highest there is and nothing can be done."

So, I feel like this was an involuntary downgrade in class of service on a confirmed ticket and that I am owed either my first class first class seat back or compensation. Am I wrong with this assumtion?

The problem is that I have no knowledge as to policy so I was not in a position to react to the downgrade with with any power of knowledge.

Any advice appreciated. THANKS!
As a pax that only uses Star Alliance, congrats on having enough miles w/AA to pull an F award!

I would also as the "Level-65" supervisor what level Arpey holds.

Other than that, BRP seems to have given very sound advice.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA, HH
It looks to me like you have been changed to a CX flight that does not have an F cabin. I do not think you will get anything from AA. I have booked a trip in F with AA miles in FEB on CX/JAL/AA to BKK. Some flights do not offer an F cabin and I am in J, but it is still costing me the miles for an F ticket, my choice. Take it or leave it.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itchief
It looks to me like you have been changed to a CX flight that does not have an F cabin. I do not think you will get anything from AA. I have booked a trip in F with AA miles in FEB on CX/JAL/AA to BKK. Some flights do not offer an F cabin and I am in J, but it is still costing me the miles for an F ticket, my choice. Take it or leave it.
According to the agent it is still three cabin, just smaller F capacity.

Last edited by dstan; Nov 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm Reason: repaired broken quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
My wife was recently downgraded from F to J from DEL-ORD on AA due to a broken seat. However, AA did refund a part of the miles. You may be eligible for a partial refund. They would only refund 15,000 miles and not 22,500 since she had a ORD-SNA leg which they valued at 7,500 miles.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by zakami
My wife was recently downgraded from F to J from DEL-ORD on AA due to a broken seat. However, AA did refund a part of the miles. You may be eligible for a partial refund. They would only refund 15,000 miles and not 22,500 since she had a ORD-SNA leg which they valued at 7,500 miles.
Yes, but the OP's downgrade is for the short (711 mile) leg.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
The difference between F and J for a one-way award is 12,500 miles. As brp pointed out, you will be in J for 711 miles of a 7,638 mile trip, or 9.3% of that trip. 9.3% of the 12,500 mile difference is 1,163 miles, and you could make a case for having that many miles credited back to your account. If that paltry amount of miles is worth the hassle to you, call AA and ask for that. If not, not. Either way, you will enjoy F SFO-HKG, and I suspect that J HKG-MNL will be nice also.

One other thing - I would learn to spell "Manila" before you get there. Some of the citizens might take offense if you have not taken that trouble. I know that it sounds like it should be spelled like your favorite flavor of ice cream, but it isn't.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM); BD *G; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zakami
That's stupid.

ORD-SNA is two class. If she'd used a J award the whole way, she would have been in F for that segment anyhow. How hard did you fight this decision?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:10 pm
Suspended

According to the cx web site they still have several 74As on any given day HKG-MNL. Have you considered a longer layover if F is very important?
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE

So, I took Dallas49er advice to call back till I hear what I like. I got them to send an email request to CX for the seat back (as stated there is no F award available the whole day). I dont know helpfull that will be, but I will let you know how that turns out.

Madison Guy Ya, the "level 65" thing was strange. I have never heard of it before. It sounded like something made up. Of course if I were working phones all day I would make up fun stuff too. Most likely I would report myself as being a level delta force supervisor.

Last edited by are8; Nov 25, 2009 at 1:12 pm
Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
So, I took Dallas49er advice to call back till I hear what I like. I got them to send an email request to CX for the seat back (as stated there is no F award available the whole day). I dont know helpfull that will be, but I will let you know how that turns out.

Madison Guy Ya, the "level 65" thing was strange. I have never heard of it before. It sounded like something made up. Of course if I were working phones all day I would make up fun stuff too. Most likely I would report myself as being a level delta force supervisor.
^^
Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In simplest terms, you have a contract of carriage (the ticket) that specifies F. If you're not getting what you paid for (and miles are simply a pre-payment, accrued as a liability in an airline's balance sheet), you are entitled to compensation.

Incidentally, Rep. Schumer is certainly interested in hearing your story about AA denying you compensation.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Hello,

I was then told that "I am a level 65 supervisor, I am the highest there is and nothing can be done."

So, is there a such thing as a Level 65 Supervisor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.