Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rate American AAdvantage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, DL PM
(-) Award redeposit fees for EXPs

I'm surprised that not more people have brought up the award change / mileage redeposit fees for EXPs. A totally fee-free top tier level (per UA / CO) or even a reduced change/redeposit fee (DL) would unequivocally give EXP the upper hand over UA 1K.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LTP;Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by G.RAES
I'm surprised that not more people have brought up the award change / mileage redeposit fees for EXPs. A totally fee-free top tier level (per UA / CO) or even a reduced change/redeposit fee (DL) would unequivocally give EXP the upper hand over UA 1K.
I'm not sure you are thinking this through. With my current mileage bank (and I'm sure there are many other EXPs in my position) I could have more than 10 round trip Milesaavers to Europe (before my recent spending spree it would be closer to 15). If I could get the miles refunded at any time, then why wouldn't I book several contingency trips far out and then cancel them at the last minute or when my schedule frees up? (Sounds good so far.) However, the problem is when you multiply this by all the EXPs the net result would be reduced award availability to the best value locations. Maybe I'm overstating the problem, but I do think there would be an effect.

However, I would be in favor of one or two free redeposits per EXP per year. I think this would enhance the value of the program without creating unintended problems.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Overall, I like the program. But my issues are:

1. The lack of flights for award travel compared to five years ago. Example, I could get a reasonable LAX-MIA-CUR, or any other Caribbean flight, back in 2004 for the Saver Fare. Leave LAX in the AM... CUR in the afternoon.

Now, for the Saver Fare, you have to fly from LAX to MIA, spend the night in MIA and catch the CUR the next day. More and more flight are becoming like this. I was planning a LAX to CZM. I figured LAX to DFW, then DFW to CZM. Nope.. LAX to STL.. STL to DFW (spend night), DFW to CZM the next day.

2. Unable to combine miles with two or more passengers on the same itinerary. Say you need 120,000 mile for two RT award ticket (60,000 per person). If I have 100,000 and my wife has 20,000 miles, it would be nice that I can combine these miles.

3. The partnership with Citibank.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, DL PM
Originally Posted by TULOKCICT
However, I would be in favor of one or two free redeposits per EXP per year. I think this would enhance the value of the program without creating unintended problems.
I did think of this, and I agree with you. SkyMiles PMs were miffed when Delta re-instituted redeposit fees, albeit with two waivers per year and a reduced charge ($50 vs. $150 for others); but I thought their reasoning about deterring "speculative bookings" was sound.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I'm generally happy with the program. The only improvements I would like are:

1. Ability to book OW partner awards online.
2. Better shopping promos for RDMs like US Grand Slam promo.
3. Partners that non-US residents can use-foreigners can't get the AA credit cards for example. It costs Aussies 61,000 Amex MR to get 20k SPG to 25k AA.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
B- (maybe I'm too tough and it should be a B)

The Good
  • Award availability and types (on AA and partners)
  • At least actual flight miles on almost every fare (no 50%/30% or even 25% of flown miles on cheap fares)
  • SWU good on basically every fare
  • Lifetime status including non-BIS miles
  • Double EQ miles promotions
  • US call centers
  • Gold and Platinum challenges
  • Citibank credit cards partnership
  • The sticker upgrade system for Gold and Platinum (I have been ExP for less than a month so this statement is made as a Plt)

The bad
  • Can't redeem/earn miles on BA US to/from UK
  • Partial credit on some fares when using OW airlines
  • No ability to upgrade on OW partners
  • OneWorld lack of coverage (for me especially in Europe)
  • Phone fees on tickets that can't be purchased online (even better, let me book OW awards online)

The ugly
  • Co-pay for upgrades (at least give me the option to use extra miles and no "cash")
  • For award purposes near east countries being part of "India" (e.g. Y to Cyprus/Turkey can be had for 20K, Israel/Egypt is 45K)
  • No elite bonus when flying on some OW airlines (regardless of fare paid)
  • Fees for ExP awards changes/redeposit (at least allow me to do it x times per year)
  • Expedite fees for non-ExP (does it really cost more to issue my upgrade award 20 days before the flight?)

Overall probably the best US based program, but partner related issues (yes partner are part of AAdvantage) are bringing it down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.