Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-SAN EVIP availability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
LHR-SAN EVIP availability

I am planning on taking the family from LHR-SAN next week (11/06/09) and would like to use EVIPs for all four of us. I have spent this morning searching for routes with EVIP availability but cannot find any.

Any experience on which route is most likely to have 4 cleared would be greatly appreciated. DFW, ORD, JFK etc.

Thanks

Mark.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Did your research involve calling AA?

In general, LHR-JFK is usually the best option due to the number (5x) of flights. But scoring four upgrades can be a challenge; you may be better off traveling in pairs.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
If you have not called the EXP desk then do so as they can sometimes get C inventory that you will not see by other means, but frankly looking for 4 on the same flight one week out is not ideal

Strategy wise I'd go for 777 flights not 767 and you would help matters if you could avoid flying on the Friday as well, 3 days earlier for example you can see LHR-ORD with C6 right now.

I would suspect from personal experience that scoring 4 upgrades on a LHR-DFW route is going to be challenging, JFK or ORD may be a little easier.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Ok, it took me less than five minutes to find your answer. (I will PM you an invoice for my time.)

AA113 LHR-MIA 1125a-420p is showing C7. Grab those seats now.

From MIA, you have a couple of options. First, you can connect via DFW to SAN, with upgrades available the entire way:

AA2493 MIA-DFW 655p-900p
AA533 DFW-SAN 950p-1045p

Or you can fly through LAX (or to LAX and drive to SAN from there):

AA231 MIA-LAX 620p-845p (upgrades currently not available)
AA397 MIA-LAX 815p-1055p (3 upgrade seats currently available)
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Don't forget that on your return Trip, you'll have to pay the evil LHR luxury tax when you upgrade to J. I can't recall exactly what it is, but I think it's 80 (131 USD) per upgrade.

-SF
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by SoulFlyer
Don't forget that on your return Trip, you'll have to pay the evil LHR luxury tax when you upgrade to J. I can't recall exactly what it is, but I think it's 80 (131 USD) per upgrade.
It'll be on the outbound leg as he is starting at LHR, no luxury tax to pay on the return leg.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Mark_T
It'll be on the outbound leg as he is starting at LHR, no luxury tax to pay on the return leg.
You're right, my bad. I had the trip reversed in my head as I have taken it so often exSAN.

-SF
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
Ok, it took me less than five minutes to find your answer. (I will PM you an invoice for my time.)
Wow! Great info! What's your billing rate for this type of work?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by SoulFlyer

-SF
Is it really that much now? Back in June I remember paying something like 65 dollars, so 40 pounds or so?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
Originally Posted by Nick90274
Is it really that much now? Back in June I remember paying something like 65 dollars, so 40 pounds or so?
IIRC, it's 40 GBP in coach; J and F pay 80 GBP - the front cabins increased from 40 to 80 a couple of years ago, I believe, and it's set for further increases in the future.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nick90274
I think you'll find you are both right.

It is currently 80, but as you already pay 40 in Y it is only the additional 40 to pay for J.

These go up after the end of this month though to 45 and 90
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Blumie
Did your research involve calling AA?
When you call the UK number on the back of your EXP card during the day, your call goes to one of the really helpful agents in AA's Dublin res. office. They'll be very patient with you in going thru routings looking for that kind of availability, starting with what's already been suggested above. I've never had a bad experience with any of them. BUT, If you were to call right now (it's 9:30pm GMT) your call would get forwarded to the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.