Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Can I earn more systemwide upgrades for more than 100k? (like UA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

I'm comparing UA and AA benefits for for 1K/EXP levels, and was wondering if AA gives you extra systemwide upgrades upon reaching levels above and beyond the 100,000 elite qualifying miles?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This year, you can earn two more at 125,000 EQM, and two more at 125,000 EQP, iirc. And of course, four more every time you cross a one million mile threshold (miles earned any way, after the first 1M if in North America,) in your AAdvantage account. Iirc, I earned 8 + 4 + 2 last year.

Otherwise, no, other than the promos and 1M one earns eight when one qualifies for EXP / EP.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:52 pm

System Wide upgrades are given for:

1. 8 one-ways per year when you become Executive Platinum (so for hitting 100K)
2. 4 one-ways are given for achieving 2 million miles in the AAdvantage Program, and for each 1 million miles after that (so at 3 million, 4 million, etc)
3. For promotions that AA has run for the last 2 years. Achieve 125K miles at you get an extra 2 one-ways, except this year where it appears you get to select 2 rewards at 125,000 miles -- so you could select 2 rewards of 2 SWUs for a total of 4. The main thing is that the award of SWUs at the 125,000 level is/has been by promotion only -- -not a part of the official program

Last edited by 777lover; Oct 13, 2009 at 9:30 pm
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by 777lover

3. Achieve 125 million miles at you get an extra 2 one-ways,
Does that have to be BIS miles, or do miles from any source count?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Achieve 125 million miles at you get an extra 2 one-ways,
Actually, 125 million miles would give you at least 496 SWUs...
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
I'm comparing UA and AA benefits for for 1K/EXP levels, and was wondering if AA gives you extra systemwide upgrades upon reaching levels above and beyond the 100,000 elite qualifying miles?
If you are comparing UA and AA benefits, you should also consider some additional aspects that might not be readily apparent:

1) AA allows SWU use on basically all fares ^. On UA, you have to purchase one of the higher fare classes.

For travel within the U.S.:
2) AA's EXP free unlimited domestic upgrades are not based on fare class. UA's 1K domestic upgrades will, 2nd Q '10, have fare class as one of the rankings (higher fare class 1K elites will get the upgrade before lower fare class 1K elites).

3) UA's "free" upgrades won't be for PS transcon service. AA's free domestic EXP upgrades are for all fare classes on all domestic flights.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:03 pm

1. 8 one-ways per year when you become Executive Platinum (so for hitting 100K)
2. 2 one-ways are given for achieving 2 million miles in the AAdvantage Program, and for each 1 million miles after that (so at 3 million, 4 million, etc)
3. For promotions that AA has run for the last 2 years. Achieve 125 million miles at you get an extra 2 one-ways, except this year where it appears you get to select 2 rewards at 125,000 miles -- so you could select 2 rewards of 2 SWUs for a total of 4. The main thing is that the award of SWUs at the 125,000 level is/has been by promotion only -- -not a part of the official program
Actually it is 4 one ways for passing 2 million etc, NO??
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eireman
Yes, it is.

Cheers.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by eireman
Yes. 4 per mill.

edit: heh, beat me to it
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
do you think its worth begging for a handful of them if you make 200K EQM? These become really helpful for transcon flights too...
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: Global Entry, 4MM, Lifetime AAdvantage Platinum
I would really like something else to choose from other than SWU's. I have 16 sitting in my account now that I will very unlikely use! Every year, mine just expire.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight
I would really like something else to choose from other than SWU's. I have 16 sitting in my account now that I will very unlikely use! Every year, mine just expire.
You can choose a full year Admirals Club membership and 25,000 miles. I think that it is not a bad option if you don't need more eVIP. Im considering this option also.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Search will reveal there are other possibilities.

No need to let them expire - gift them and make some people very, very happy! I've had some friends and relatives who have enjoyed them when I haven't needed them.

Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:43 pm

The sound you hear is me thumping my screen - as I KNOW it must be malfunctioning!!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One former Flyertalker told me several years ago that AA rewarded him with several extra eVIPs each year because he maintained a fabulous AA Fanboi website. So the OP could try doing that. There are also occasional reports that high eqm/eqp (well in excess of 100k) EXPs simply ask for extras and those requests are sometimes granted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.