Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Poaching in F on AA. On the increase?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
As my nephew used to say, "You mean."
No, mean would have been discretely getting up and placing the purse, obviously left by a passenger from the previous flight, on the jet bridge for said passenger to return and claim .
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
If I board the flight and discover someone else has already settled into my assigned seat (coat hung, items unpacked into the seat back, drink in hand), it's a 99% chance that I will ask for my assigned seat and not blink at any excuse they give me for why I should swap with them.

If someone is nice enough to ASK first, I will switch assuming ALL of the following - their seat is NOT on the bulkhead, their seat is not a window seat next to someone I deem to be the type to make it difficult for me to get up during the flight, I am not already seated across the aisle from a seatmate, and the new seat will not affect my FEBO order on a flight I plan to eat on (which is 10% of flights or less).
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by techgirl
If I board the flight and discover someone else has already settled into my assigned seat (coat hung, items unpacked into the seat back, drink in hand), it's a 99% chance that I will ask for my assigned seat and not blink at any excuse they give me for why I should swap with them.

If someone is nice enough to ASK first, I will switch assuming ALL of the following - their seat is NOT on the bulkhead, their seat is not a window seat next to someone I deem to be the type to make it difficult for me to get up during the flight, I am not already seated across the aisle from a seatmate, and the new seat will not affect my FEBO order on a flight I plan to eat on (which is 10% of flights or less).
+1. Part of it is the objective aspect of changing seats. Part of it is a negative reaction to someone else's excessive sense of entitlement, a desire to put them in their place. That may not be a very noble reaction to admit to, but it's human. Unless the seat they offer is objectively a lot better (next to Jessica Alba in a bikini*, etc.) I won't take it.

Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
Actually, I was pretty nice. It was a large purse with buckles and sparkly stuff on it. Had I stretched out into the space under the seat in front of me, as I often do, it and its contents would have been crushed.
Life is full of missed opportunities. The best thing is not to spend too much time lamenting missing them, but to just be better prepared the next time.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:37 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by gemac
Life is full of missed opportunities. The best thing is not to spend too much time lamenting missing them, but to just be better prepared the next time.
Owner of said sparkly item was sitting next to spouse, alas.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 4:52 pm

Since I normally travel alone, I get asked a lot by FAs to switch seats for one reason or another, usually to accomodate another passenger who wishes to sit next to a travel partner. I rarely refuse the request.

Upon boarding, if someone is already in my assigned seat, I will have a crew member check on it with gate personnel before confronting a possible poacher. However, when it is clear someone has poached my window seat and left me with their ...... aisle seat, I WILL, if after a brief discussion find that they aren't lost and that the seat squat wasn't an honest error, let them have a low-pitched ear full regarding their conversion of the seat that I had clearly paid for, and they had not.

I remember the days when they would wait for the plane to take off and then scurry up to a vacant first class seat from the back like the little cheese snatching thieves that they are.

Here is an interesting question though - if the seat is technically free (flying on a voucher or using miles, whathaveyou) is it considered theft if you, after take off, move to a seat that happens to be available in a higher class of service cabin? I mean, you already aren't paying for the ticket. . . technically, and I've had that one tossed in my face before. Caught me off guard. Yes I know a freebie on miles is an earned freebie but technically speaking . . . .

Right now it seems all airlines are bleeding revenue and can't afford to give away a premium seat to a poacher, it is better to let the seat go empty. I wonder how far they would get if they, after catching a class of service seat poacher, just popping their credit card they used to purchase their original ticket for the difference in fare. I mean, imagine the credit card bill shock if you got caught poaching a seat say, ORD/NRT or heaven forbid, LAX/SYD, those last minute fares can all but buy a small condo!

I just wonder if the airlines could get away with it. Pay the last minute fare difference or spend a few days in the crossbar hotel for grand theft? Hmmmmm!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 4:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WingNaPrayer
Yes I know a freebie on miles is an earned freebie but technically speaking . . . .
This is not a technicality. It is paid for. It removes a liability from AA's books. The person on an award ticket is no more entitled to poach a higher class of service than the person using cash. Looking at it as a "freebie" is incorrect.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Here is an interesting question though - if the seat is technically free (flying on a voucher or using miles, whathaveyou) is it considered theft if you, after take off, move to a seat that happens to be available in a higher class of service cabin?
Yes. It is theft of service.

I wonder how far they would get if they, after catching a class of service seat poacher, just popping their credit card they used to purchase their original ticket for the difference in fare. I mean, imagine the credit card bill shock if you got caught poaching a seat say, ORD/NRT or heaven forbid, LAX/SYD, those last minute fares can all but buy a small condo!

I just wonder if the airlines could get away with it. Pay the last minute fare difference or spend a few days in the crossbar hotel for grand theft? Hmmmmm!
Yes, they could if they gave the poacher the choice of paying the fare difference or pressing charges for theft.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by exquisitered
Haha, it's okay! You're not the only one!
Originally Posted by brp
All of my travel these days is with mrs. brp. I can tell when she doesn't want to talk

Cheers.
Originally Posted by JumboD
... This is around the time I sucked down scotch number four (and I dont drink scotch).

In all seriousness, the people here on FT have usually honed their flying manners and know the difference between overbearing/annoying and friendly. Walking around the boarding area starting conversations with people who are clearly only thinking about the fact that their flight is 45min late and they should have eaten (if in coach) or stayed in the AC (if in paid F/member).
Thanks for the affirmations, Exq and brp. JumboD, I hope I'm 'honed' enough not to randomly accost strangers with chattiness in the boarding area, but I'll make a point to avoid conversing with strange guys in sunglasses guzzling scotch.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
but I'll make a point to avoid conversing with strange guys in sunglasses guzzling scotch.
Wait. How do you think mrs. brp and I met*?

(*OK, not really, but this is the internet, after all)

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brp
Wait. How do you think mrs. brp and I met*?

(*OK, not really, but this is the internet, after all)

Cheers.
Exactly why I always chat* (*UK chat up pun goes here maybe?) with the guy in the seat next to me -- who is to say that he's not Mr. Right SocietyFlyGuy . And if Mr. Right is an EXP on AA, even better.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Exactly why I always chat* (*UK chat up pun goes here maybe?) with the guy in the seat next to me -- who is to say that he's not Mr. Right SocietyFlyGuy . And if Mr. Right is an EXP on AA, even better.
I've met some pretty cool people at the airport and on the plane. Always should take the opportunity to at least say "Hi" to the person next to you. ^
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by brp
All of my travel these days is with mrs. brp. I can tell when she doesn't want to talk

Cheers.
What is it she prefers doing when she doesn't want to talk?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:36 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Davidwnc
What is it she prefers doing when she doesn't want to talk?
Make fun of people who ask rude and inappropriate questions

Cheers.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
but I'll make a point to avoid conversing with strange guys in sunglasses guzzling scotch.
I would hope you learned that way, way before my post, as it rarely ends well .

Oh, and as as a better description of the person in question, have you seen Planes, Trains & Automobiles? Remember the rental car agent? Very accurate description in many respects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.