Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which LAX-JFK for best upgrade opportunity

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 2:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPGold, DL Gold Medallion, Avis Presidential, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't have any firsthand experience with upgrades on the redeyes, but it is probably true that there are companies that would allow paid J travel only on an overnight flight. This would theoretically make upgrades more difficult. However, mitigating this is the fact that many business people, like myself, probably just flat out avoid the transcons redeyes. They're too short to get enough sleep to make the next day productive.
You're explanation is all fine and good.

I'm not offering an explanation. Just speaking from experience. When I fly redeyes, my upgrades seem to clear much later, and my few missed upgrades this year have all been on redeyes.

My guess has always been that people think a J or F seat is more useful to them if they need to sleep. So more people pay full fare om those flights. (My own feeling is that a redeye is the least valuable transcon in J or F... I'd rather take a dinner flight and get a meal and some nice service out of the deal. What's the point of sitting up front if you're going to be too unconscious to appreciate it.)
Old Oct 12, 2009, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by BarkinJ
You're explanation is all fine and good.

I'm not offering an explanation. Just speaking from experience. When I fly redeyes, my upgrades seem to clear much later, and my few missed upgrades this year have all been on redeyes.

My guess has always been that people think a J or F seat is more useful to them if they need to sleep. So more people pay full fare om those flights. (My own feeling is that a redeye is the least valuable transcon in J or F... I'd rather take a dinner flight and get a meal and some nice service out of the deal. What's the point of sitting up front if you're going to be too unconscious to appreciate it.)
We fly JFK/LAX - on AA or UA, or EWR/LAX - on CO, at least once per week. We continue on to Las Vegas to review progress and receive financial updates on our clients investments in the "City Center" development.

From our experience, morning flights and dinner flights in both directions are the most heavily elite traveled. On CO, on most occasions the early morning/dinner flights are priced higher for First/Business Elite fares due to higher demand than the other nonstops. The is especially true on Fridays and Sundays. Also on AA and UA.

The redeye flights allow for a full day of business in the surrounding LAX areas LAS/SAN/SNA/ONT/LGB/BUR/PSP/FAT, etc, leaving time for traffic congestion or connecting flights.

The only time we fly redeye is due to a missed earlier flight or the need to be back in NYC for business. Otherwise, our firm allows us to stay the night, rest/relax and take the next day morning flight.

It's 1:29 pm here in Dubai.

Last edited by TigerWould; Oct 12, 2009 at 3:48 am
Old Oct 12, 2009, 5:26 am

I also fly LAX-JFK-LAX on an almost weekly basis.. I have found the redeyes to be much easier in clearing Y-J upgrades than any other flights.. And AA 185 ( the last non stop from JFK-LAX ) is also much easier to clear than any of the preceding flights...
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
(My own feeling is that a redeye is the least valuable transcon in J or F... I'd rather take a dinner flight and get a meal and some nice service out of the deal. What's the point of sitting up front if you're going to be too unconscious to appreciate it.)
The point is you are unconscious and horizontal, vs. semiconscious and upright and cramped.

IMHO, I would (and have) blow miles for an upgrade if I had the slightest doubt I'd miss it on 'stickers'.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by RTW4
I also fly LAX-JFK-LAX on an almost weekly basis.. I have found the redeyes to be much easier in clearing Y-J upgrades than any other flights.. And AA 185 ( the last non stop from JFK-LAX ) is also much easier to clear than any of the preceding flights...
Up until a few months ago, I flew LAX/JFK weekly too. I ended up going over on 22 and back on 21. The only problem with 185, which as you point out is usually wide open, (or 180 for that matter) is that if there are delays or cancelations, things roll over to this last flight, making upgrades more challenging. The good thing about 180 is that you can always move to either 10 or 30 where, upgrades, even those at the last minute, are pretty easy to get on Sundays. AA 185 is the last flight of the day. All else being equal, I'd pick AA 21.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
If there's any chance you can take an AM flight, I'd suggest going LAX-EWR. AA uses a 762 on this route as well and, while I've never flown this route I have to believe it would be a little easier to upgrade.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPGold, DL Gold Medallion, Avis Presidential, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trojanman
If there's any chance you can take an AM flight, I'd suggest going LAX-EWR. AA uses a 762 on this route as well and, while I've never flown this route I have to believe it would be a little easier to upgrade.
It is, indeed, easier to upgrade.

Other good options for getting into the NY area (and easy upgrades, IME):

LAX-ORD-HPN (my favorite little airport)
LAX-STL-LGA (LAX-STL is one of my favorite routes. See here.)
LAX-ORD-JFK
LAX-MIA-JFK (Twice this year I found this routing at the same fare as LAX-JFK, with the LAX-MIA leg on a 777. I don't often fly the LAX-MIA route, so I can't speak for upgrade success except to say that both of mine cleared at 72 hrs, and I was PLT at the time. Obviously, YMMV.)

But here's the truth:

1. Most people would rather fly LAX-JFK.

2. There's a lot more flight availability LAX-JFK, which makes it easier for people who have to get to NY at a specific time.

3. If you want to get from LA to Manhattan, flying LAX to JFK is probably the fastest door-to-door time, other than flying on Continental and taking their helicopter service into the city (assuming they still offer that).
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
It is, indeed, easier to upgrade.

Other good options for getting into the NY area (and easy upgrades, IME):

LAX-ORD-HPN (my favorite little airport)
LAX-STL-LGA (LAX-STL is one of my favorite routes. See here.)
LAX-ORD-JFK
LAX-MIA-JFK (Twice this year I found this routing at the same fare as LAX-JFK, with the LAX-MIA leg on a 777. I don't often fly the LAX-MIA route, so I can't speak for upgrade success except to say that both of mine cleared at 72 hrs, and I was PLT at the time. Obviously, YMMV.)

But here's the truth:

1. Most people would rather fly LAX-JFK.

2. There's a lot more flight availability LAX-JFK, which makes it easier for people who have to get to NY at a specific time.

3. If you want to get from LA to Manhattan, flying LAX to JFK is probably the fastest door-to-door time, other than flying on Continental and taking their helicopter service into the city (assuming they still offer that).
4. Gogo on all 762s.

5. No upgrade on ORD-HPN.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
4. Gogo on all 762s.
This will be worth a lot less to me when the free WiFi codes expire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.