Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-LHR loaded as 757 starting April 2010

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2012, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bostonoski
Are they potentially changing inventory due to increase/decrease in number of flights?? If anyone knows, do please tell me. I'm getting worried I ought to just bail out and buy a cheapo O/W on Icelandair, or use up my AA miles I was hoarding for a future vacation and change airlines.
Set up ExpertFlyer alerts for all acceptable dates and don't worry about it.

Award redemption ease is certainly of importance to FFers but I wouldn't change loyalties due to one temporarily-unsatisfactory redemption effort on a single route.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA,UA,DL,HA
Looked here because this is my most-flown route and am currently trying to book a O/W awrd.

Oddly the inventory was decent (and happily I grabbed a seat, still on hold) for early July. But suddenly 2 days later there is nothing. Not ANY sAAver awards in summer (or on BOS/SFO or others on any routing), whereas there were plenty late Thursday night.

Are they potentially changing inventory due to increase/decrease in number of flights?? If anyone knows, do please tell me. I'm getting worried I ought to just bail out and buy a cheapo O/W on Icelandair, or use up my AA miles I was hoarding for a future vacation and change airlines.

I've never seen award travel so impossible to book, in 20+ years! (And yup, am cross-posting various issues in awards threads, so please don't berate me for mentioning awards!)

i just tried for july 4-14 bos-lhr. you could book it but for economy it was 60k miles plus $176 in 'taxes'.

to think i got a one way bos-lhr last november for 20k miles and 2.50 'tax'....
Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Set up ExpertFlyer alerts for all acceptable dates and don't worry about it.

Award redemption ease is certainly of importance to FFers but I wouldn't change loyalties due to one temporarily-unsatisfactory redemption effort on a single route.
I tried ExpertFlyer but as far as I can tell I have to pay to be a member to set up alerts. I didn't see much of use to a poor student. I am trying AwardNexus, no luck yet but still trying.

It's more than one flight, I have been trying to book this for a long time, but it's more to do with (1) the issues I have recently had with AA & AA CS, and (2) more importantly, why earn miles if I can't use them? I have used AAdvantage for 20+ years and never had trouble booking award flights, if I am flexible. And this time I am far more flexible than usual. Clearly there is less availability than there used to be (no awards for BOS>SFO seems just crazy to me!). So, since I went back to school and stopped flying as much, and the award travel's not available, I could just use up my awards and fly cheaper, i.e. JetBlue SWA etc. I do like AA, but have always spent a little more because I wanted the miles. Now, I'm not sure if spending the extra was worth it, if I can't use the miles. (I'm not the first poster to suggest this.)

Originally Posted by silvermine
i just tried for july 4-14 bos-lhr. you could book it but for economy it was 60k miles plus $176 in 'taxes'.

to think i got a one way bos-lhr last november for 20k miles and 2.50 'tax'....
I have a ticket held for 7/3, and when I booked it Thursday night there was availability every day from 7/3 to the end of the month, weekdays at least. Now, nothing. Departure tax from LHR is the killer (but BA fuel fees are worse!). Congrats on your great deal! Wish I was flying off-peak!

Update: Just checked again and now the 26th, 4th and 5th are available. If I could figure any logical reason why it changes like this... well, it would make life easier. I remember a time when everyone used to say to search flights at 12:30am CST on Tuesdays because things on AA.com used to reset then and held flights (they used to hold for longer than 24 hrs) would dump back into inventory all together. It used to work too!

Last edited by bostonoski; Feb 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm Reason: add results
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:38 pm

New to this

Hi all,

I am new to the miles awards game and have booked 30k coach seats on 6/20/12 MCO-MIA-BOS-LHR, all on 757's . I have AA flight 124 BOS-LHR. It was all that has been available since I have started looking but I am seriously worried about comfort with the 3 -3 configuration.

Can someone tell me how bad it really is for someone who has only flown coach? (usually 767's on transatlantic) Also does anyone know if this flight is usually full during this time of year or is there a good chance we could get an isle with an empty 3rd seat? Hoping to find better seats before June but just in case I would like know what I am in for.

Sorry for asking so many questions and thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by redchilicat
Hi all,

I am new to the miles awards game and have booked 30k coach seats on 6/20/12 MCO-MIA-BOS-LHR, all on 757's . I have AA flight 124 BOS-LHR. It was all that has been available since I have started looking but I am seriously worried about comfort with the 3 -3 configuration.

Can someone tell me how bad it really is for someone who has only flown coach? (usually 767's on transatlantic) Also does anyone know if this flight is usually full during this time of year or is there a good chance we could get an isle with an empty 3rd seat? Hoping to find better seats before June but just in case I would like know what I am in for.

Sorry for asking so many questions and thanks in advance for your help!
I've done the r/t LHR-BOS-LHR on the 757. I was in an exit row each time, so it was not that bad. There is overhead entertainment and bin space fills up quickly.

That said, flights to Europe, and especially LHR, get very busy in the summer; I would not plan on having an open seat in your row.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked again and now the 26th, 4th and 5th are available. If I could figure any logical reason why it changes like this... well, it would make life easier.
ExpertFlyer exists to make subscribers' lives easier. That's my 'I told you so' for the day.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redchilicat
I am new to the miles awards game and have booked 30k coach seats on 6/20/12 MCO-MIA-BOS-LHR, all on 757's .
Maybe it's just me, but I would be so, so ready to pay BA's surcharges when redeeming AA miles to fly MCO-LGW non-stop and avoid that 3-segment itinerary.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
I've done the r/t LHR-BOS-LHR on the 757. I was in an exit row each time, so it was not that bad. There is overhead entertainment and bin space fills up quickly.

That said, flights to Europe, and especially LHR, get very busy in the summer; I would not plan on having an open seat in your row.
Thanks for the info.

Maybe it's just me, but I would be so, so ready to pay BA's surcharges when redeeming AA miles to fly MCO-LGW non-stop and avoid that 3-segment itinerary.
We went this route to save money because we are doing a budget stretching Baltic cruise, every dollar saved leaves more money for the vacation. Trust me I would love to take a direct flight for once.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:33 am

Ouch, expensive! (Although flying BOS>MIA>MCO sounds not fun! We used to have non-stops BOS>MCO...)

ExpertFlyer exists to make subscribers' lives easier. That's my 'I told you so' for the day.
It's a nifty site! But again, I'm a budget traveller. I realize a LOT of FTers are not on such tight budgets, but since I do not have a full time job (and have not since 2006, due to recession & being a grad student), it's all about saving $$.

I couldn't justify the extra $200-300 for the BA flight. (However, my normally budget-conscious mother thought it was worthwhile... though I still didn't bite.)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=bostonoski;18102348]Ouch, expensive! (Although flying BOS>MIA>MCO sounds not fun! We used to have non-stops BOS>MCO...)

QUOTE]

Use to have a lots of NON STOP non 5 corner flights from BOS
But that was when AA made money.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bedelman
Wow. BOS-LHR is a major route for me. Will my loyalty to AA survive this downgrade? I will have to think carefully. Combine this with BA OnBusiness, easier T5-T5 transfers, etc., and I might move to BA. But what about EXP, AAdvantage, and domestic routes? Not sure yet...
BA and AA share revenue... so AA doesn't care whether you fly AA or BA.. it's a 50-50 JV.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I'm still dreaming of the return of the 777.

If I have to sit in another 757 that hasn't been updated since 1985, I might just cry.

On the other hand. I do love the business class on these planes and route.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I'm still dreaming of the return of the 777.

If I have to sit in another 757 that hasn't been updated since 1985, I might just cry.

On the other hand. I do love the business class on these planes and route.
I so totally hear you. When I used to fly BOS-SFO all the time I used to fly thru DFW or ORD just to avoid the 757s!!!!!!! Worst 1st class ever (in the old 2-class plane, the old old ones). I hated the slippery seats and the smelly old planes. I chose MD-80s instead whenever I could. (Earned more miles too.)

When stuck on 757s in Y though I still like 10A or F... as long as I have something to keep my feet warm.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Meal Service on 156 in J?

I've been looking around on Google but am having some trouble finding any recent reports..

What is the meal service like on the day flight (156) in J? Will be traveling this route in two weeks and am just wondering if I should have a meal before the flight or if the breakfast is pretty substantial.. also curious what the pre-arrival meal is like.

Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by jkm024
I've been looking around on Google but am having some trouble finding any recent reports..

What is the meal service like on the day flight (156) in J? Will be traveling this route in two weeks and am just wondering if I should have a meal before the flight or if the breakfast is pretty substantial.. also curious what the pre-arrival meal is like.

Thanks.
It's flexible. They always offer a choice of hot breakfasts, plus cereal, yoghurt, and breakfast rolls. Sometimes I'm really hungry on this flight, so I ask to start with the cereal and yogurt, followed by the hot meal and a cinnamon roll or two. You just have to make sure you ask for the cereal and yogurt first, as sometimes they don't offer it if you pick a hot meal. But yes, rest assured you can get plenty to eat at breakfast.

The afternoon meal is not as substantial, but there's usually a choice of pizza or salad, plus a small piece of cake for dessert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.