Search

AA award within Australia - one-way domestic

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
AA award within Australia - one-way domestic

Hi everyone-

Simple question but for some reason I am not confident in the results I've found.

I want to get a one-way award within Australia. The chart says 20k/30k Y/J. Is that one-way? That seems awfully steep. Please tell me it is RT and I can get a OW for 10k.

Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:55 pm

It is 10K each way - see wholly within awards.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The 20k/30k OneWay award is for travel within the South Pacific

At the top of the Chart is details for Travel "wholely within listed countries" of which Australia/New Zealand are listed as a single entity. That table is the one that you need for travel within Australia and is 10k/17.5k one way
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Great news! Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3MM
We used one-way awards in Australia for 6 flights --- good availability and effective use of miles, especially for a trip that required intra-country flights.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by old3
We used one-way awards in Australia for 6 flights --- good availability and effective use of miles, especially for a trip that required intra-country flights.
6 flights - do you mean 6 x 10K intra-country awards?

Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to use OneWorld award for that type of itinerary?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
6 flights - do you mean 6 x 10K intra-country awards?

Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to use OneWorld award for that type of itinerary?
Very hard to do a domestic OneWorld award on a purely domestic itinerary within Australia

Dave
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Very hard to do a domestic OneWorld award on a purely domestic itinerary within Australia

Dave
The poster's profile shows he is from DFW, so I assume his "domestic trip" within Australia was part of a bigger trip. Furthermore, he mentioned <<especially for a trip that required intra-country flights. >>
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
The poster's profile shows he is from DFW, so I assume his "domestic trip" within Australia was part of a bigger trip, especially he mentioned
<<especially for a trip that required intra-country flights. >>
Right, but he would need 2 OW carriers in addition to AA.
I think QF is the only OW carrier from the US to Australia
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:14 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by mvoight
Right, but he would need 2 OW carriers in addition to AA.
I think QF is the only OW carrier from the US to Australia
In view of the limited Direct flights by AAward AAvailabilty on Qantas using OW AAwards you open up AA/JL/QF via NRT and CX/QF via HKG.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:45 am

We used award miles for a trip from LAX to Oz, requiring a number of domestic Aussie legs. We ended up with an open jaw LAX-MEL//AYQ-SYD-LAX with a stopover in SYD. It was a standard partner award on QF of course. Flights to/from AYQ are expensive so one domestic leg was covered by the award.

The remaining legs were MEL-CNS (JQ) and CNS-AYQ (QF). We paid out of pocket. Fares are quite low due to QF, JQ, and Virgin fare wars. It may not be the best use of miles to use them for the domestic legs.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:20 am

The poster's profile shows he is from DFW, so I assume his "domestic trip" within Australia was part of a bigger trip. Furthermore, he mentioned <<especially for a trip that required intra-country flights. >>
The post I was replying to was referring to "6 x 1 ways" and whether an OW award would be better for that sort of itinerary

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.