Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change fee of $200??? Bye bye aa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Change fee of $200??? Bye bye aa

I want to vent my anger. $200 for a change fee??? I have been a loyal AA user until company problems forced me to cut back on travel. I was Platinum and I am about to be a million miler. That is pretty loyal for a customer.

I booked a flight to Lima for an anniversary. Business forced a change in plans. How was my loyalty to AA rewarded???? A $200 CHANGE FEE!!!!!!

IT IS TIME TO RETHINK WHERE I PLACE MY LOYALTY!!!!! Certainly no longer with AA (sorry to say). I will fly the other airlines where I don't have to worry about loyality. It is obvious that AA does not. I will probably give up my ticket and book on another airline. Why put more money in the pockets of those who really don't care!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:15 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See ya! Enjoy your new airline.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Change fees are not based on loyalty. In fact, sounds like a bargain that the change fee for your international fare is only $50 more than a domestic change fee!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Who are you going to fly now? What are their change fees for international tickets likely purchased cheaply (since they're clearly non-refundable)?

By the way, welcome to FT

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush Elite, AA Plat, BA Blue, and a host of others.
You're upset about the change fee that was clearly spelled out in the fare rules that were available in one click when you booked your ticket?

It's pretty common knowlege that there are fees for changing tickets that aren't purchased at full fare. That being said, you still may not have known, but really I think that you should read the fine print now and again.

Good luck at your new airline home.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italpisces
I want to vent my anger.

IT IS TIME TO RETHINK WHERE I PLACE MY LOYALTY!!!!! Certainly no longer with AA (sorry to say). I will fly the other airlines where I don't have to worry about loyality. It is obvious that AA does not. I will probably give up my ticket and book on another airline. Why put more money in the pockets of those who really don't care!
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Sorry you had such a terrible experience.

I'm curious, though - why did you bother to register here just to vent? This isn't www.aasucksandimleavingforanotherairline.com , so I'm not sure what you intended to accomplish by this drive-by. Perhaps you could make a second post (avoiding the dreaded OPW status) and explain what you gained by posting the above?

Again, welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I will fly the other airlines where I don't have to worry about loyality.
Please let us know what airline flying to Lima doesn't charge change fees. This could be very useful to other travelers heading there.

Welcome to FlyerTalk I look forward to seeing additional contributions from you on FT in the future.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA, US, SPG, Hilton, Avis

I will fly the other airlines where I don't have to worry about loyality. It is obvious that AA does not.
AA is by far not the worst when it comes to international change fees, but none the less:

Good Luck catching the next WN flight to LIM....
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
If you don't want to pay change fees, than simply buy unrestricted fares that can be changed with no fee.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:59 pm

Welcome, I don't feel as the others who posted. I am appalled at the many fees AA imposes. Nowadays I pay for my travel so every added cost hurts. I am with you on your complaint and feel that if enough people voice their concern sometime airline do change their policy. So voice your concerns and maybe there are enough upset members along with others to make a difference. Count me in as one person who is also upset with the many fees, especially this one.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Many of us abhor the fees - but knowing they exist we are sure to check the "detailed fare rules" before purchasing to know what the change conditions and fees are. The cheaper the fares, the greater the restrictions - non-refundable, changes only upon paying fees (up to $350 sometimes, so you escaped relatively unscathed), minimum times / Saturday stays, advance purchase required, seasonality, flights- limited, and more, come with the cheaper fares.

I sincerely doubt you will find another legacy / international airline with different approaches - BA is now even charging fees for assigned seats. OTOH, if Southwest meets your flight needs, they are relatively free of change fees and the like (not to mention upgrades, international flights, lounges and dedicated counters.)

By the way, it's relatively easy to rack up miles, and "used to be Platinum" equivalent doth not a great customer make, in most airlines' metrics - though I empathize with your angst.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: EXP 1MM
I understand the poster, last year I was in MIA and needed to change a flight to MBJ and the change fee was $150 and a new ticket just $127 so was better to buy a new one than change it. I was very mad and anger with the teller but I didn't had any other option. I just purchased my ticket and learned to think better at the time to make a reservation by the way I will never think about purchasing a ticket with Air Jamaica or Spirit I will never do that. Im very happy with my miles and upgrades and flight perks.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
What I don't understand is why people continue to think a loyalty program means the airline/hotel/insert business here is loyal to THEM. It's a marketing plan to keep you loyal to that business. No where does it promise that the business will be nicer to you or change rules to make you happy.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by skywalk
I am appalled at the many fees AA imposes.
Espen36 has kindly provided a solution to your concern about change fees.

Originally Posted by ESpen36
If you don't want to pay change fees, than simply buy unrestricted fares that can be changed with no fee.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
I hope I am not the only sucker who clicked on this...

Outstanding!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.