Wiki Posts
Search

BYO wine to have poured....

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2003, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
BYO wine to have poured....

Back in December, word was that AA changed their policy and would no longer pour wine brought on board by pax. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/013457.html

I was just wondering if this policy is still in effect. Any FAs out there?

Thanks.

Edited to add: Maybe I am obsessed with this but reservations just told me the policy reads that "FAs are no longer required" to pour wine brought on board by passengers. I joked with the agent that it sounded like I still had chance if I asked nicely. The fact that FAs are no longer required doesn't mean that they won't.

[This message has been edited by AAgoraku (edited 05-06-2003).]
Old May 6, 2003, 7:15 pm

We are no longer "allowed" to serve ANY alcoholic beverage that isn't provided by AA. This took effect a few months ago. Sorry

Mike-BOS
Old May 7, 2003, 6:54 am
GRS

Last week on flight 423, I saw a passenger with a whole bottle of wine serving it by himself, this was in Business class on the A300. I couldn't see if it was his own bottle (which I doubt) or was from the airplane.
Old May 7, 2003, 9:41 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikea3xx:
We are no longer "allowed" to serve ANY alcoholic beverage that isn't provided by AA. This took effect a few months ago. Sorry

Mike-BOS
</font>
Thanks for your response.

Well, that is interesting. The reservations agent read what she said was the policy and verified that it used the phrase, "no longer required." Like most things...clear as mud.
Old May 7, 2003, 10:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GRS:
Last week on flight 423, I saw a passenger with a whole bottle of wine serving it by himself, this was in Business class on the A300. I couldn't see if it was his own bottle (which I doubt) or was from the airplane.</font>
Since you get free wine in BC, there is no reason to have that BYO rule. In fact, AA benefits if you bring your own than drink theirs.

Coach on the other hand...if you could bring your own who would buy the awful wine on board...and how would AA get out of their financial troubles?

Oh, this rule was for "security" reasons? My mistake.
Old May 8, 2003, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP/MM
I must admit it never occurred to me to bring my own wine, but the rule makes it seem as if it's OK. So what is the practical implication of this new rule if you DO bring your own?
- Will the FAs open it for you (I don't know if cork screws are allowed in carry ons now)?
- If it is somehow open or opened, will the FAs get irritated if you're pouring your own wine?
Old May 8, 2003, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Napa:
I must admit it never occurred to me to bring my own wine, but the rule makes it seem as if it's OK. So what is the practical implication of this new rule if you DO bring your own?
- Will the FAs open it for you (I don't know if cork screws are allowed in carry ons now)?
- If it is somehow open or opened, will the FAs get irritated if you're pouring your own wine?
</font>

Corkscrews are ok in carryons - have been for several months.

Pouring your own? Violation of FAA regulation. Do people do it? Yes.

Is it against the rules? Yes.

I have brought my own alcohol on board, given it to the FA, and was successful in having them pour it for me. Saved AA money, since I bought my own alcohol. Once, I told the FA that it was fine with me if they shared it with the rest of the J cabin on a transcon.
Old May 8, 2003, 1:57 pm
Suspended

why would it be against FAA regulations? let me guess, safety.
Old May 8, 2003, 4:45 pm

The FAA rule that prohibits pouring your own is in both 121 and 135 operations

http://www1.faa.gov/avr/afs/cabinsafety/FAR's/121-575.rtf

http://www1.faa.gov/avr/afs/cabinsafety/FAR's/135-121.rtf

The concern stems from according to FAA

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
We have received information that indicates drinking of alcoholic beverages by passengers on board air carrier airplanes may be an increasing problem. There have been instances ranging from harassment and/or cruel treatment of flight attendants to physically attacking a male purser.
</font>
The decision by AA to not allow FAs to pour passenger's alcohol is a business decision and not required by FAA.
Old May 8, 2003, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP/MM
That sounds right. After all, I doubt if passengers are more likely to get unruly on wine they bring on board as opposed to wine supplied by the airline.

Nonetheless. although you might guess from my info that I sometimes drink wine, I probably won't try this.
Old May 9, 2003, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I recently purchased a 50 ml bottle of JW Blue from the on-board Duty Free and the FA served it to me...

[This message has been edited by nologic (edited 05-09-2003).]
Old May 9, 2003, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:
I recently purchased a 50 ml bottle of JW Blue from the on-board Duty Free and the FA served it to me...
</font>
Was this part of a set or do they sell miniatures individually? 'Cause that's not a very big drink.
Old May 9, 2003, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:

[This message has been edited by nologic (edited 05-09-2003).]
</font>
JW Blue minatures for sale? mmmmmmm... How much? $10 - $12?

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Noble (edited 05-09-2003).]
Old May 12, 2003, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like there's a big crackdown on booze recently. On at least two of my four flights this weekend they went through the "can't drink alcohol unless an FA serves it to you" spiel during the preflight announcements. I don't know about the other two flights, as I was sleeping at the time.

Never heard this before. I was aware of the rule, just never been on a flight where it was announced.

d
Old May 12, 2003, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
Seems like there's a big crackdown on booze recently. On at least two of my four flights this weekend they went through the "can't drink alcohol unless an FA serves it to you" spiel during the preflight announcements. I don't know about the other two flights, as I was sleeping at the time.

Never heard this before. I was aware of the rule, just never been on a flight where it was announced.

d
</font>
"can't drink alcohol unless an FA serves it to you"

Was included in the preflight announcement for #196 SFO-BOS on Friday, 05/09. First time I can ever recall hearing this.... However, there was nothin' said on my return #197 BOS-SFO on Sunday, 05/11.

[This message has been edited by AAgoraku (edited 05-12-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.