Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A nice thank you from AA arrived today 20,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2001, 1:19 pm
askworldtraveler

A nice thank you from AA arrived today 20,000 miles

I joined the Aadvantage program day 1 when it opened. I recieved a letter dated June 4th that reads as follows: Twenty years ago, American Airlines decided to test an innovative loyalty program designed specifically to reward its most valuable passengers. Today, thanks to Aadvantage members like you, Aadvantage is celebrating its 20th anniversary. What started as a temporary promotion, is now the largest airline loyality program in the world with more ways to earn and use mileage than any other program. ______, because you have been with us since the beginning, we'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support. Included with this letter is a voucher for 20,000 Aadvantage miles. Please accept it with our sincere thanks and gratitude for the past twenty years. Best regards, Bruce Chemel, President Aadvantage Marketing Programs
Note: For more information on special anniversary offers, watch your Aadvantage newsltter or log on to www.aa.com

Few thoughts and comments....Nice gift - anyone recieve anything different? First time I've seen Bruce Chemel's name in a letter to me. The 20,000 mile certificate while 'not transferable" has the Awarded to: left blank to be filled in. It expires....12/31/02. I'm wondering why they didn't just add to my account - so much easier!

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++

Old Jun 12, 2001, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
That's GREAT! That would be a good question to ask - but why would you want to give it away when it adds to your total acquired miles (unless you are already lifetime platinum) Wouldn't it be nice if they sent us each 1000 miles per year of membership - I'd only get 7000 miles, but I would accept it gladly. I think it is a wonderful gesture - especially in light of how hard everyone is working to get 20,000 miles with partners.

------------------
DtG
Old Jun 12, 2001, 2:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I didn't join on the first day but am quite sure it was within the first few weeks. But until I recently moved from Chicago to South Florida, I flew almost exclusively on United. I'll be surprised if I get a gift, or at least one as nice as that!
Old Jun 12, 2001, 3:19 pm

dgordon,

askworldtraveler is an EXP with 4,000,000+ AA miles to his name... I am sure he is already lifetime Platinum many times over, and a 20,000 miles voucher from him to a loved one would surely be seen as a pleasant overpowering gesture!

Maple
Old Jun 12, 2001, 3:19 pm

That's great news, askworldtraveler. I'm class of 1982. I wonder if I'll receive 19,000 miles?
Old Jun 12, 2001, 3:51 pm

Great promotion!

I joined on July 14th, 1981.

I'll post if I get the letter.

Happy Anniversary AAdvantage!
Old Jun 12, 2001, 4:10 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I would think that the certificate is for people who want to give them to others as gifts - to help top an account for an award.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Maybe it is not transferable AFTER someone's name is written on the certificate. I would be glad to give you my full name by e-mail. HA HA

------------------
DtG
Old Jun 12, 2001, 9:08 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
As an Admirals Club member I was "grandfathered" into the AAdvantage program as of 05/01/81 and never "signed up". My AA number begins with a zero (0XXXXXX). I hope I too receive this "recognition"
Old Jun 13, 2001, 9:37 am
SST

Boo-hoo. I'm SURE I joined immediately, as I've got the UA Mileage Plus plan back to the beginning, and I'm positive that I joined AA's plan simultaneously due to some comparable flights.

BUT over the years, when I seemed to have no hope of getting anything worthwhile out of the program (my, how times have changed!), it seems I lost membership status, or reregistered, or something, and if I remember right, my accounts were all consolidated into an account I got after signing up for MCI about 1990. It never made any difference before. NOW I miss 20,000 miles. Again, weeping, I double-da*n the mile-high stack of paper I've recycled rather than kept over the years......
Old Jun 13, 2001, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
When was the "beginning" for AAdvantage ... some time in 1981, anyone know the exact date/month?

[This message has been edited by nologic (edited 06-13-2001).]
Old Jun 13, 2001, 11:34 am
askworldtraveler

I believe it was May 1,1981 - WT

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++

Old Jun 13, 2001, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
On May 1, 1981, I think I was still running home to watch cartoons after school and had probably never even heard of American Airlines at the time.

Great bonus though! Enjoy the miles!
Old Jun 13, 2001, 4:29 pm

Kappa, you are correct. The Admirals Club roster was one of those things used to make up the first AAdvantage roll. It was kept on index cards.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 8:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
when aad started, i hated aa. flew braniff. thanks to aa, i got 2 daughters to england for spring break on braniff before it went under. would have stayed w/aa but service was terrible. i think it is neat that they remember you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.