Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA & EY / Etihad Airways launch reciprocal miles redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phasers
So, what is the best way to check availability from DFW-BEY, short of calling AA to book the flights on EY?
Your options are:
AMM -> BEY (RJ) (availability shown on awardnexus.com)
BAH -> BEY (GF) (availability shown on flightstats.com)
AUH -> BEY (EY) (availability shown on Etihad's website)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Your options are:
AMM -> BEY (RJ) (availability shown on awardnexus.com)
BAH -> BEY (GF) (availability shown on flightstats.com)
AUH -> BEY (EY) (availability shown on Etihad's website)

Thanks for the reply. How do I search on Etihad's website? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Etihad F awards no longer available to AA?

Dear fellow flyers, I have spoken to over six AAdvantage awards desk agents and no one seems to know the answer to my concern. I am trying to redeem an F ticket between AUH and LHR and when the agents search, they tell me that they can't book F because they can only request economy and business, but when I politely tell them that the aircrafts on this route feature 3 classes, they see that yet are still unable to request F awards. Has anyone had a similar experience? Please share. Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Nope. There's a whole thread about EY awards using AA miles.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I've made 2 reservation in F on that route this year and, while none of the agents seem to be familiar with the process, they get there in the end.

I don't know if this is a factor but both my reservations show as 'O' 'Economy' but I have been assured that they are in F. I've confirmed that with EY and even reserved my seats so I'm pretty confident where I'll be sitting.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by fly747first
Dear fellow flyers, I have spoken to over six AAdvantage awards desk agents and no one seems to know the answer to my concern. I am trying to redeem an F ticket between AUH and LHR and when the agents search, they tell me that they can't book F because they can only request economy and business, but when I politely tell them that the aircrafts on this route feature 3 classes, they see that yet are still unable to request F awards. Has anyone had a similar experience? Please share. Thanks!
Is their availability on the flights? They need to find "O" class.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skunker
Is their availability on the flights? They need to find "O" class.
The Etihad web site shows availability on the dates I want, but when I call AA, the availability is significantly lower, which is expected since of course Etihad would reserve most seats for its own frequent flyers. After a ton of research and over 20 calls, I was able to find F availability but on a flight to CDG, not LHR.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
... since of course Etihad would reserve most seats for its own frequent flyers.
There is no evidence that EY does that.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I doubt that. I just made a booking for EY in first class JFK to AUH for Sep, 2012 and everything went smoothly.

However, may be the OP was trying to book the early morning flight from AUH to LHR which is operated with the brand new 773ER and it is also being blocked for EY FFP members too.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for offering that! It makes sense - if EY is restricting even their own FFP members, they certainly would not make an award booking available to other partner FFP members.

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I doubt that. I just made a booking for EY in first class JFK to AUH for Sep, 2012 and everything went smoothly.

However, may be the OP was trying to book the early morning flight from AUH to LHR which is operated with the brand new 773ER and it is also being blocked for EY FFP members too.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
There is no evidence that EY does that.
Then how do you explain it, i.e., Etihad's web site shows availability but AA agents can't see it and even supervisors confirmed that they couldn't see any availability?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer

Nope, none of the AUH LHR flights were available.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:04 pm
Suspended

AA has all kinds of problems when making partner award bookings, from untrained agents to IT shortcomings. Happens all the time.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Sounds similar to the problems with LAN. If etihad's site shows it maybe you can ask to escalate to the Etihad liason?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: A few
I'd suggest merging this into the existing thread on redeeming AA awards on Etihad. I recall from that thread another person had issues on this route and it seemed to have something to do with it being on the 777 which for US routes is configured as 2-class but seems to be 3-class for the London route (indeed their own web site only lists a 2 class 777: https://www.etihadairways.com/sites/.../OurFleet.aspx)

Maybe there is a recurrent problem with AA accessing the F inventory on the 777?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.