Wiki Posts
Search

'Everything' about the merger!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
The one question I have is that it says on the Q&A site that the 7 day upgrade starts on October 5. So does that mean that any flights October 5th on should be 7 days or Oct. 5 is the first time we can get that (so we can call on the 5th for a flight on 12th)?
I didn't know that little tidbit of info. I would say we will get our normal 3 day upgrade until the 5th. So what I get it out of that wording is let's say you have a flight on the 12th--your upgrade should get processed on the 5th.

I'll guess we'll see. Actually I just checked--I am flying out on the 12th to DFW--guess I'll know then.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
This is exactly what I was afraid of. They took the worst of everything. I will be in the market for a new airline. I have been flying US Airways a lot this year and really enjoyed flying them. Since America West is taking the worst features of both frequent flyer programs for the new Dividend Miles, I must switch. Also, I don't like the change to a cash bar from hosted bar in the Phoenix America West Clubs.

So whats left . We said goodbye to HP when they cut all their bonuses. I went to UA for the miles, but you hate TED ---RAR!!!!!!!!!. WN is great for the short hops, but overseas they are not going to take us Personally I choose UA and E+ over this new merged airline.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I called the Plat line last night, sat on hold forever, and it ends up no one has a clue. The update isn't done on their system and the two programs won't merge until sometime next year was the answer I was given.

So one good thing about CP was the CP desk. Is that something that is staying? I have not seen that discussed anywhere yet.

Jennifer
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jan_az
So whats left . We said goodbye to HP when they cut all their bonuses. I went to UA for the miles, but you hate TED ---RAR!!!!!!!!!. WN is great for the short hops, but overseas they are not going to take us Personally I choose UA and E+ over this new merged airline.
Great question.

Alaska Airlines still has a fantastic frequent flyer program-- they're partners with just about everyone in the US along with BA, LAN, Cathay, etc. Earning miles is easier and the award charts require fewer miles than America West. Delta has a strong route network as well as a far more generous frequent flyer program than America West. American and Northwest are also viable options. United has a solid frequent flyer program, but TED renders Premier membership less useful as there is nothing to upgrade to.

Really, since the new Dividend Miles is THE WORST frequent flyer program among major US carriers, you can't do much worse!
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
...So one good thing about CP was the CP desk. Is that something that is staying? I have not seen that discussed anywhere yet.

Jennifer
Yes, it is staying. This point is made very clear by the 2006 Preferred website.

http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...06_preview.htm
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Really, since the new Dividend Miles is THE WORST frequent flyer program among major US carriers, you can't do much worse!
Well said.... unless US has the only reasonable flights to your destination.

I had a flight to SAN yesterday and spent the flight pouring through the electronic timetables of AA, AK, DL, CO, etc looking to see if any of them offer an alternative to HP. Unfortunately, since 95% of my flights are to SAN, BUR, SNA, and PDX (in that order) I didn't end up with many options. I fly to SAN at least once a week and the best option is a Ted flight to LAX connecting to a bugsmasher to SAN with a total trip time of 3 hours. On the way back I would get the pleasure of flying a CRJ back and getting in really late. BUR and SNA are much worse (to the point where I would be better off renting a car at LAX and driving).

If I get truly fed up with HP then my ONLY other option is WN (and AK to PDX) which means no FC, no clubs, no relaxation pre-flight. The schedules are actually more convenient, but I'm giving up some sanity and making travel truly unpleasant.

I think that HP/US knows that the segment-based elites have little choice and that they don't make a lot of money off of us (my annual spend for 100 segments $7000 - $10,000). Rather than put a program in place that encourages us to fly more we get a very clear picture of how much our business is valued. Even at the CP level there's nothing in the program to make me say, "Wow, I'm going to move my business to US."
Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by andrewp
I think that HP/US knows that the segment-based elites have little choice and that they don't make a lot of money off of us (my annual spend for 100 segments $7000 - $10,000).
don't shortchange your value to them. if your average segment is 400 miles, their yield from you is 20-25 cents a mile, comfortably above cost, and surely a big component of their profits on those short hops.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by martin33
don't shortchange your value to them. if your average segment is 400 miles, their yield from you is 20-25 cents a mile, comfortably above cost, and surely a big component of their profits on those short hops.
And exactly which PROFITS are those?
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by martin33
They have a great way of showing me that I'm valuable to them... I was very gung-ho about the merger when it was announced, but now I'm just pissed off and bitter.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
And exactly which PROFITS are those?
Do keep up, dear. HP has been posting profits for quite a while. Of course, that's now history since they're merging with a financial blackhole.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by andrewp
They have a great way of showing me that I'm valuable to them... I was very gung-ho about the merger when it was announced, but now I'm just pissed off and bitter.

I am feeling the same way. For the first time I am seriously looking at what my other options are. It is really unfortunate, I was quite content with how HP was before.

Jennifer
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:25 pm

Yes, it is staying. This point is made very clear by the 2006 Preferred website.

http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...06_preview.htm

Thanks for the answer and the link. I see this says from March 1,2006-Feb 298, 2007. Will current HP Plats (who will have "temp" CP) have this available between now and March 1?

Jennifer
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:06 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Ok, where is the link to the HP bonus for flying US routes? I have two US intineraries coming up and might as well maximize miles. I am both DM and FF silver, perhaps I will make new DM gold?
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kanerf
Ok, where is the link to the HP bonus for flying US routes? I have two US intineraries coming up and might as well maximize miles. I am both DM and FF silver, perhaps I will make new DM gold?
Yes, can someone please provide the link for this? (As usual, I did not receive an e-mail from HP about the new developments; only from US. )
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:33 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Quick question on the merger, is the DM Gold going to 50% effective Oct 5 or Feb 28, when the next year program roles out?

I have both DM Gold and FF Gold.. and if DM Gold is still 100%. through end of year or next year.... I am switching my number on my reservations.

I am assuming the changes are drastic and Oct 5. But willing to ask...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.