'Everything' about the merger!

Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:48 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Posts: 2,635
The fact that miles from the carriers won't be merged for next year's elite status is absolutely awful.

I chose US Airways flights even though it inconvenienced me because I believed it would put me over the top for full-time Silver Elite next year after I spent most of this year racking up AA miles before deciding AA wasn't worth my while. I might not make SE in '06 if my 7,000 US Airways miles don't get counted for next year

This is a joke
FCYTravis is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:54 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,428
Originally Posted by andrewp
*Gold benefits as a US Plat
Thanks for that good info. Do you have any idea on where I can find out Star Alliance gold benefits?

Ian
enviroian is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:00 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PHX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,461
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for that good info. Do you have any idea on where I can find out Star Alliance gold benefits?

Ian
http://www.staralliance.com

I can't post a direct link without breaking the frames so click on "Loyalty Benefits" in the upper left, then click on "Earn Status Faster" in the main frame.

*G is mostly useful while flying internationally (lounge access) but you'll get some priority during irregular ops as well.
andrewp is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:46 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,428
Originally Posted by andrewp
http://www.staralliance.com

I can't post a direct link without breaking the frames so click on "Loyalty Benefits" in the upper left, then click on "Earn Status Faster" in the main frame.

*G is mostly useful while flying internationally (lounge access) but you'll get some priority during irregular ops as well.
Yes, your right. That appears to be primarily the biggest benefit.

Moving forward I really don't see any reason to fly US over to LGW. I can get a more direct ORD routing from PHX on United, get E+ seating, and free drinks in Y. Or am I missing something obvious (dubios? )
enviroian is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:57 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PHX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,461
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes, your right. That appears to be primarily the biggest benefit.

Moving forward I really don't see any reason to fly US over to LGW. I can get a more direct ORD routing from PHX on United, get E+ seating, and free drinks in Y. Or am I missing something obvious (dubios? )
No free drinks in Y on transatlantic flights... sorry.

My personal favorite is PHX-SFO-LHR if I want to arrive LHR in the AM or PHX-LAX-LHR for the PM. The overall flight times are a little longer, but you don't have to do 4+ hours on Ted to ORD.

Get 1K on UA burn some SWUs and the trip becomes downright pleasant.
andrewp is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:12 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,428
Originally Posted by andrewp
but you don't have to do 4+ hours on Ted to ORD



You just answered my question. Thanks
enviroian is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:19 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,428
Here's a scenario I'm not sure will play out so I'm looking for some opinion please.

I have a meeting in late November in PHL. Whose metal should I fly? Who's website should I book on? I am currently just a DM member so come Oct 5th will my profile change to reflect CP? Will this new 4 day upgrade window for plats ("new" plat) and 7 for CP take effect Oct 5th? Will I get upgraded (assuming I'm comp'd to CP for trial) next week on my regular PHX-IAH flight 7 days out?
enviroian is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:24 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,428
Originally Posted by enviroian
Of course we plats will be teased for the remainder of the calendar year at Chairman's level, 7 day upgrade window, 100% bonus for miles but then come January 1st will we revert back to the "new" Plat? I guess that is to be known. It would be nice to give us Chairmans for CY '06 (where I would definitely requality with my UK trips) but I guess we'll wait and see.

"America West Platinum Elite members will be elevated to Chairman's
Elite status through February 28, 2006."

Nothing like answering my own question
enviroian is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:31 pm
  #24  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,120
Originally Posted by andrewp
Just got my new US Airways Club membership card in the mail today. The letter that came along with it was pretty much a mirror of what's on the website posted above.
I received a new US Airways Club membership card in today's mail as well. Letter was dated Friday, 9/23.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:42 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 42
EQM Miles are Additive

Originally Posted by enviroian
Here's what I got out of it:

For HP Plats like us, who do <100 K EQM's a year there is a plus and a minus to this. The plus is 4 days out for upgrades, the minus (and big) is 75% bonus...that really sucks and is waaay below other airline's programs

Of course we plats will be teased for the remainder of the calendar year at Chairman's level, 7 day upgrade window, 100% bonus for miles but then come January 1st will we revert back to the "new" Plat? I guess that is to be known. It would be nice to give us Chairmans for CY '06 (where I would definitely requality with my UK trips) but I guess we'll wait and see.
If you go to the usairways.com site, under Preferred for next year, they state that they will take your full 2005 elite qualification miles and segments for 2005 in both programs to give you credit for 2006 new Preferred Program.
N93109 is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:43 pm
  #26  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: PHX
Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,120
Bonus miles for DM members flying to HP distinations

Got an email from US Airways with a many of these details and a link to the new transition site.

There was also this interesting little bonus opportunity:
Earn up to 15,000 Bonus Miles on US Airways

Earn 500 bonus miles each time you fly America West or America West Express to any of the over 50 new destinations not currently served by US Airways for travel through December 31, 2005. Plus, each time you fly to five additional destinations, you will earn 5,000 more bonus miles. Click here to view details and register now.
So this is for US Dividend Miles members flying to what are currently HP-only destinations. I wonder if an HP e-mail to Flight Fund members will make a similar offer for FF members flying to currently US-only destinations. Let's hope.
AZ Travels the World is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:45 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 30,428
Originally Posted by N93109
If you go to the usairways.com site, under Preferred for next year, they state that they will take your full 2005 elite qualification miles and segments for 2005 in both programs to give you credit for 2006 new Preferred Program.
Good info--thank you. Unfortunately I haven't flown US since 2001
enviroian is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:51 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: PHX/SFO/LAX
Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Posts: 7,784
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by andrewp
My personal favorite is PHX-SFO-LHR if I want to arrive LHR in the AM or PHX-LAX-LHR for the PM. The overall flight times are a little longer, but you don't have to do 4+ hours on Ted to ORD.

Get 1K on UA burn some SWUs and the trip becomes downright pleasant.
I currently do the same on AA. PHX-ORD-LHR. Sometimes I'll even do PHX-LAX on HP then LAX-LHR on AA.

Now, I have to reevaluate my loyalty to HP. The most I'll be next year is Silver just so I can remain elite. I can't see flying 150k on AA then trying to do 100K on US. 75k was my limit with HP.

I'll fly 25k with HP, then the remaining 50k will go to UA. This way the majority of my California flights will earn 100% bonus miles.
ByrdluvsAWACO is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:17 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Scottsdale
Programs: USA CP, AA, UAL, BA, DLTA
Posts: 175
Losing Northwest Airlines clubs is bad

One of the biggest advantages of America West Club has been access to the Northwest Airlines Clubs at ORD and MSP. We are losing this and I do not see any USA clubs that will provide an alternative.

Gaining access to UAL and Star clubs is of little benefit because you have to be flying the airline that has the club in order to gain access. It seems strange that this arrangement would encourage people to fly airlines other than the new USA.

It will be interesting to see how much the renewal fee will be for USA Club, having in mind that it seems to be of benefit mainly to people who used to fly USA.
Paso Fino is offline  
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:20 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA
Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
The fact that miles from the carriers won't be merged for next year's elite status is absolutely awful.

I chose US Airways flights even though it inconvenienced me because I believed it would put me over the top for full-time Silver Elite next year after I spent most of this year racking up AA miles before deciding AA wasn't worth my while. I might not make SE in '06 if my 7,000 US Airways miles don't get counted for next year

This is a joke
That's not what I was told, I was told that the miles from both account will be merged together in February and that the combined total will dictate the new status. This was told to me by a FF rep.
TopGun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.