Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will the merge with USAir take place?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors
When will the merge with USAir take place?

Any updates on when the merger between America West and US Air will take place? I assume the shareholders will say yes.

I am planning a trip to the UK on British Air and it would be nice to park my miles with AW/US!
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:18 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DrBeeper
Any updates on when the merger between America West and US Air will take place? I assume the shareholders will say yes.

I am planning a trip to the UK on British Air and it would be nice to park my miles with AW/US!
To completely merge all aspects, it will take some time.... On October 1st America West and US Airways will continue operating separately, but will begin combining frequent flyer programs....

And yes shareholder approval is just a formality at this point. The shareholders would have to be crazy to vote anything but unanimous approval. Have you seen the stock price since the merger was announced? From $4 to $8 not bad at all, looks like the stockholders have already seen a huge benefit from the merger, as will the combined US and HP customers well into the future. ^
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:59 pm

Programs: HP/US

Quite frankly, probably will take 2+ years for the entire merger to be completed. I'll tell you this, my department is looking at 10-01-2005 as "Day One". Like I tell my employees, sit back and hold on gang, lots of work coming up.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 6:14 am
Original Poster

So, before the merger, which program?

Thanks. As of Oct 1, the FF programs are merged AND it might take 2 years or so to complete.

So, which FF program is best to park miles in UNTIL the merger is complete: AW or US?

I actually have more miles in US (but only 50,000) and only a trace amount in AW (something like 10,000).
Old Aug 12, 2005, 6:39 am

Thanks. As of Oct 1, the FF programs are merged AND it might take 2 years or so to complete.

So, which FF program is best to park miles in UNTIL the merger is complete: AW or US?

I actually have more miles in US (but only 50,000) and only a trace amount in AW (something like 10,000).
Actually, it really doesn't matter. Once the merger starts, your miles will be merged into one DM account. The only real reason would be if you are close to elite status on one carrier or the other.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by snokums925
Actually, it really doesn't matter. Once the merger starts, your miles will be merged into one DM account. The only real reason would be if you are close to elite status on one carrier or the other.
But do we know say if I have 50K actual flight miles in HP and 25K actual flight miles with US Airways if they will combine those as 75K actual flight miles for purposes of making elite status. Yes I know we don't know if it's going to be 75K or 100K or what but will they combine actual flight miles to combine for elite status for next year?

Lance
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Will the new airline be in Star Alliance?

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
But do we know say if I have 50K actual flight miles in HP and 25K actual flight miles with US Airways if they will combine those as 75K actual flight miles for purposes of making elite status. Yes I know we don't know if it's going to be 75K or 100K or what but will they combine actual flight miles to combine for elite status for next year?

Lance
In addition to Lance's question, will the combined AW/US be a member of Star Alliance? Will USAir still be a partner of United? If not, that will do some damage to United since they have poor east coast connections (but great transcon). Any clues?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:35 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
The intention is that they'll stay part of Star - which seems likely since Air Canada has invested in the merged carrier and will handle some maintenance. UA may view them as a threat in the West, and may be unhappy (so the codeshare could go bye bye), but Star may look at it as hedging bets since UA is still in BK without an apparent plan.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Robertsonland

Lance
Sorry, don't know about the elite status yet. 50K HP plus 25K US would be the 75K combined but elite status is unclear.
Also nothing yet on Star Alliance. Bits and pieces are coming in so stay tuned for October...thats when you will probably have a lot of questions answered!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by CLTFlyer
The intention is that they'll stay part of Star - which seems likely since Air Canada has invested in the merged carrier and will handle some maintenance. UA may view them as a threat in the West, and may be unhappy (so the codeshare could go bye bye), but Star may look at it as hedging bets since UA is still in BK without an apparent plan.
The rest of Star can say no, but they cannot say yes-- UA gets sole veto power as the senior Star carrier in the country. Bankruptcy is not a criterion, which given the finances of the bulk of Star members is a good thing...
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:20 pm

The 'new' US will continue to be a part of Star Alliance. Just this week we received guidelines from Star so that all policies of the combined airline will be compatible with those of the alliance from Day 1 of the merger's close.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:49 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Next question... how long will it take to move (legacy) US from T2 to T4 at PHX? It took very little time for CO to be removed from T4 to T2 at PHX when the HP/CO relationship collapsed...
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
Next question... how long will it take to move (legacy) US from T2 to T4 at PHX? It took very little time for CO to be removed from T4 to T2 at PHX when the HP/CO relationship collapsed...
US Airways will co-locate with HP at PHX T4 on September 1.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
US Airways will co-locate with HP at PHX T4 on September 1.
Who will fill the US gates in T2? Will UA finally move out of the outdoor gates (C and D)? I noticed that Great Lakes now uses the improvised Gate E.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:58 am

Yes as of 10/1 (at this point) the 2 airlines will merge. The two will operate separately as far as crews, mx, etc go. The name will change however and all signage will become US Airways. To the customer it will be one airline, but to the workers, it will be separate for a while.

There is new stuff coming out just about every week now. It's exciting to hear what changes will take place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.