Search

Return to Elite Status???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Companion Pass, former HP Gold and AA Gold
Question Return to Elite Status???

Hi all,

I was Silver Elite for 2-3 years, until my travel dropped off substantially over the past 13 months. My status dropped to nothing on March 1, 2005.

Now, it looks like my flying is going to pick up again. In the next 5-6 weeks, I'll be traveling to Toronto, Miami, and Omaha. With a call to HP, what do you think the likelihood is that they will give me Silver status before taking these flights? An elite challenge isn't really that exciting to me, since I'll be spending extra $$$ to take these flights with HP (as opposed to other airlines). Without elite status, I will simply go with the lowest price/best times.

Any thoughts about my chances of getting Silver status? How best should I go about making the request?

Thanks,
Tim in Hollywood
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Tim in Hollywood
Hi all,

I was Silver Elite for 2-3 years, until my travel dropped off substantially over the past 13 months. My status dropped to nothing on March 1, 2005.

Now, it looks like my flying is going to pick up again. In the next 5-6 weeks, I'll be traveling to Toronto, Miami, and Omaha. With a call to HP, what do you think the likelihood is that they will give me Silver status before taking these flights? An elite challenge isn't really that exciting to me, since I'll be spending extra $$$ to take these flights with HP (as opposed to other airlines). Without elite status, I will simply go with the lowest price/best times.

Any thoughts about my chances of getting Silver status? How best should I go about making the request?

Thanks,
Tim in Hollywood
It might be tough actually. HP will want to see a copy of your flying history from the prior 12 months to determine eligibility in order to comp you status. If you haven't had status with HP (or any other airline) within the last 12 months I seriously doubt it I'm afraid. At least this is what happened to me when I first started flying with HP.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:31 pm

Programs: US - Platinum, HHonors - Diamond
Originally Posted by Tim in Hollywood
likelihood is that they will give me Silver status before taking these flights? An elite challenge isn't really that exciting to me, since I'll be spending extra $$$ to take these flights with HP (as opposed to other airlines). Without elite status, I will simply go with the lowest price/best times.
The challenge should work for you. When I did a challenge I got Silver status instantly. The idea being that you are Silver for 90 days from when you sign up for the challenge. You have to travel 5K miles in the 90 days to keep the status past that.

Dean
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Companion Pass, former HP Gold and AA Gold
Hi MrBookWorm/Dean,

Thanks for the info. I thought that the silver/gold status from the challenges started after flying the qualifying trips. If status starts before flying, I'll have no trouble at all!

enviroian,

The whole point is that I use to fly HP all of the time, but then my travels declined significantly over the past year, so I lost status. Similar to someone that loses their high-travel job, then gets a new one some time later.

Anyway...thanks to both of you. When the time comes, I'll be sure to request the challenge!

Thanks,
Tim in Hollywood
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Let us know what happens. I'll be curious to know whether they'll allow you a challenge given that you've had status so recently and lost it.

What are the requirements for a Gold challenge? Do they offer one? Does anyone know?
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:26 pm

Gold is 11,500 or 14 segments. Plat is 18k or 22 segments
Old Jul 23, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Let us know what happens. I'll be curious to know whether they'll allow you a challenge given that you've had status so recently and lost it.
When I did the status I was told that if you currently do not have status and have not done the challenge in the prior 12 months that you were eligible. So I'd be interested to hear if that has changed as I keep telling people this.

Definitely let us know what you find out.

Lance
Old Jul 23, 2005, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by MrBookworm
You have to travel 5K miles in the 90 days to keep the status past that.
It's 6000 in 90 days from signup (not first flight, so get signed up only a few days before HP flight #1 to maximize the 90-day window) to keep the silver status through Feb 06.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is rather late in the year trying to qualify for next year. I think you might be better off waiting until September to do the "guest" program. People are saying that September is the cutoff when the challenge gives you the status until Feb 2007 instead of 2006.

Can someone confirm this? Is it 9/1?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.