Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger)
Reload this Page >

America West Announces New Service Between Las Vegas and Palm Springs, Calif.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:49 am
Original Poster

America West Airlines, the nation's second largest low-cost airline, announces new service between its Las Vegas hub and Palm Springs, Calif., which will begin on Oct. 1, 2005. Palm Springs customers will not only enjoy access to one of the world's premier leisure destinations, but will also have convenient, one-stop connections to other America West destinations such as Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New York City and Philadelphia.

With this service, America West will operate 153 daily departures and serve 61 nonstop destinations from Las Vegas McCarran International Airport, more than any other carrier. The airline already offers passengers in Palm Springs four roundtrip flights a day to its largest hub in Phoenix, which operates 322 daily departures to 93 nonstop destinations.

"We're pleased to offer this new service between our Las Vegas hub and California's Coachella Valley," said Dion Flannery, vice president, scheduling and route planning. "This new service is a great complement to our current Palm Springs service and will offer passengers even more access to our extensive North American route network."

"We're thrilled to have America West serving its Las Vegas hub and fully expect the service to be successful. We believe that there is a strong demand for this market and the many connecting opportunities that are available for our residents and visitors," remarked Richard Walsh, Palm Springs International Airport director of aviation.

America West Express, operated by Mesa Airlines, will provide the new service utilizing the 37-seat deHavilland Dash 8 aircraft.

The flight schedule is listed below:

Las Vegas to Palm Springs Palm Springs to Las Vegas

Flight Departs Arrives Flight Departs Arrives
6100 11:59 p.m. 1:04 a.m. 6103 9:10 p.m. 10:10 p.m.

SOURCE: americawest.com
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1 MM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Interesting that this new flight is on Dash 8. I thought all of the Dashes were based in PHX. Where else do the fly the Dash from in LAS?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 5:42 pm

HP did a pressrelease stating "HP is pleased to announce our NEW service to Palm Springs from LAS". To me this is not a new service as they previously had this route before. Maybe they should imply they are reinstating the service. I noticed they did the same thing when they reinstated their other previous markets like LGB, BUR, and IAD when they brought that market back.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by skyfly
HP did a pressrelease stating "HP is pleased to announce our NEW service to Palm Springs from LAS". To me this is not a new service as they previously had this route before. Maybe they should imply they are reinstating the service. I noticed they did the same thing when they reinstated their other previous markets like LGB, BUR, and IAD when they brought that market back.

Thats the same when they said they increased flights from PDX to LAS. Under the most technical sense they simply re-instated flights.

The marketing department is trying to manipulate us.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by Royiv
Interesting that this new flight is on Dash 8. I thought all of the Dashes were based in PHX. Where else do the fly the Dash from in LAS?
I was wondering this too when I read the Press Release. A Dash 8 to LAS? I don't think there are any Dash 8s that run through LAS. But if PSP-LAS is going to be Dash 8, why not give YUM-LAS a try?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 1:05 am

Programs: WN/HPUS/B6/DL
Originally Posted by asu-ua772
I was wondering this too when I read the Press Release. A Dash 8 to LAS? I don't think there are any Dash 8s that run through LAS. But if PSP-LAS is going to be Dash 8, why not give YUM-LAS a try?
Yes! I drive twice a year to Yuma to go across the border to Los Algodones to get pharmaceuticals. The drive is a bit of a hassle and I'd save enough money on prescriptions (and dental work and eyeglasses) to justify paying to fly, even on a Dash 8 turboprop. Did I mention my endodontist down there is an absolute knockout?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Originally Posted by lvfs
Yes! I drive twice a year to Yuma to go across the border to Los Algodones to get pharmaceuticals. The drive is a bit of a hassle and I'd save enough money on prescriptions (and dental work and eyeglasses) to justify paying to fly, even on a Dash 8 turboprop. Did I mention my endodontist down there is an absolute knockout?
I find the drive to be a little tedious myself. That's why I haven't been to LAS in years. Being in Yuma part of the year, and also seeing the moderate loads that HP brings in, a YUM-LAS flight could possibly work as a night-time utlization flight for the Dash 8 that is here overnight. But then again, I could dream on!

Anyways, good luck on the PSP-LAS route (again)!
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:27 am

UAX also flies PSP-LAS (up to 3x daily) on props... interesting that their lowest weekend fares appear to be about $300 -- must be a money-making route...

Originally Posted by Royiv
Interesting that this new flight is on Dash 8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.