Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do YOU think the merged name should be?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2005, 3:19 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Unfortunately none of the preceding legacy carriers have well known names among today's fliers.

I still like the PanAm idea floated here earlier.
Old May 16, 2005, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by fly747first
Thank you for your neutral and well-informed response. I won't deny that until very recently (when US Airways started giving boxed meals in transcontinental first class) there was no doubt in my mind that US Airways was way better than America West. As you know, in the good old times, US Airways had a magnificent international First Class as well as Envoy Business Class. However, it seems that very soon there won't be two airlines called America West and US Airways as they will merge into one.

As of today, I feel that many HP Elites need to accept that though US Airways has been in the hands of terrible executives who have destroyed the airline, when US Airways had money, it was an industry leader. I'm an airline world lover, and it offends me that some people deny the fact that out of the major US carriers, US Airways was the last one to get downgraded from 4 stars to 3. You are absolutely right that US Airways learned how to have a competitive transatlantic premium class from BA-- the world's favourite airline .

My argument basically consisted of two things: US Airways does have profitable routes in the east coast as well as european routes, if it was so terrible then America West wouldn't be thinking about merging with them and secondly, the Star Alliance is definitely something to look forward to.

You're welcome! I agree with most of this. HP's reasoning behind the deal is probably a little more complicated than the way in which you break it down, but generally I guess that's about right, although I don't claim to be an expert. Each of these two airlines does some really great things, and have their own particular strengths that can really make this deal work if they're properly utilized. As you can guess, these two airlines are my favorites. I've got lots of options from the WAS area, and my travel out west isn't just confined to PHX and LAS- I choose to fly US and HP and do so because they each do some great things.

Anyways, back to the original topic. On US Aviation a little while ago someone posted a few images of what an updated US livery could look like, and some of them were really great. If I can find a link to the forum, I'll edit my post with it included, but until then I'm sure the thread won't be too hard to find. IMO, I think that retaining the US Airways name makes sense, but I'll compromise and say that US's livery could get a nice update out of the whole deal (seeing as HP's planes would need to be repainted).

@:-) When thinking of this deal, images of the US Air of the early 1990's come to mind. The airline had over 5,000 daily flights to more than 250 destinations (compare to 3,450 flights to 179 destinations today), with substantial service all across the entire United States. Although this airline is long-gone, it gets me a little excited to see what could become of the new airline.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; May 16, 2005 at 9:56 pm
Old May 16, 2005, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
You're welcome! I agree with most of this. HP's reasoning behind the deal is probably a little more complicated than the way in which you break it down, but generally I guess that's about right, although I don't claim to be an expert. Each of these two airlines does some really great things, and have their own particular strengths that can really make this deal work if they're properly utilized. As you can guess, these two airlines are my favorites. I've got lots of options from the WAS area, and my travel out west isn't just confined to PHX and LAS- I choose to fly US and HP and do so because they each do some great things.

Anyways, back to the original topic. On US Aviation a little while ago someone posted a few images of what an updated US livery could look like, and some of them were really great. If I can find a link to the forum, I'll edit my post with it included, but until then I'm sure the thread won't be too hard to find. IMO, I think that retaining the US Airways name makes sense, but I'll compromise and say that US's livery could get a nice update out of the whole deal (seeing as HP's planes would need to be repainted).

@:-) When thinking of this deal, images of the US Air of the early 1990's come to mind. The airline had over 5,000 daily flights to more than 250 destinations (compare to 3,450 flights to 179 destinations today), with substantial service all across the entire United States. Although this airline is long-gone, it gets me a little excited to see what could become of the new airline.

Yeah, I saw the pics. I think the nicest combination would be to have the US Airways livery with the flag on the tail but change the dark blue colors to a light green mimicking HP's colors, it would look very classy.

By the way, what do you think of my idea of calling the new airline
US Airways Spirit of the West? That way they keep the name US Airways, which many people love and add the Spirit of the West part because it was a former West airline that saved them from liquidating.
Old May 17, 2005, 1:08 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Over on airliners.net I suggested that HP buy the Pan Am name from that idiot who currently has it. That's the only way I can accept the loss of the "America West" name.
And buy the PSA smile for the front of the aircraft -- doesn't US own it?
Old May 17, 2005, 11:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
I know AA will throw a fit but,

America Airways (holding company)

And I thought of the America West/America East as operating companies that someone else posted before me.

OR

US Airways (holding company)

US Airways for International Flights and Mainline

America East for Regional jet east of the Miss.
America West for Regional jet, west of the Miss.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
And buy the PSA smile for the front of the aircraft -- doesn't US own it?
They wouldn't have to buy it, and no, US doesn't own it. It's not copyrighted.

Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
I know AA will throw a fit but,

America Airways (holding company)
Why? AA has no copyright on the word America, nor do they use the word Airways. Even with the name America Airways they would have to use HP or US as the 'AA' airline code is already in use.

Also, I believe the Holding company should stay the same "America West Holdings". Don't even give me that brand name stuff either since most people don't even know airlines have holding companies.

And I thought of the America West/America East as operating companies that someone else posted before me.

US Airways (holding company)
No. The US airways name should die. America West Holdings would let all employees/stockholders/reporters know that America West is in charge.

US Airways for International Flights and Mainline
Only for the interim. Pan Am would be so much cooler. ^

America East for Regional jet east of the Miss.
America West for Regional jet, west of the Miss.
I like this idea. It keeps the America West name alive.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:32 am

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
@:-) How about Titanic Airways? It will be big and destined for failure.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by DENPremEx
@:-) How about Titanic Airways? It will be big and destined for failure.

Well Said !!!
Old May 17, 2005, 11:57 am

Yes, but what will be the iceberg that rips into the hull?
Old May 17, 2005, 12:04 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
All of this talk about different names for different segments of the airline is absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. The whole reason for using one name is so you can build a brand cost effectively. First of all, you would have two different sets of signage (one for the eastern ops and one for the western ops), two different commercials (production costs, lack of economies of scale due to the neccesity to run regional advertising as opposed to national advertising)...I could go on.

What would the end result of all this be? A confused consumer and confused consumers don't do business with companies or their products that they don't understand. Its this sort of thinking that got US into the position its in and is driving HP to push for this deal.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Yes, but what will be the iceberg that rips into the hull?

1) Competition
2) Integration of the ops (there are a myriad of moving parts to this deal and the integration issues will be HUGE)
3) Unions (seniority issues, cultural issues, etc.)
4) Management (I'm starting to wonder if 1)the drunk pilots picked up in MIA a while back aren't calling the shots and/or 2)this proposed/soon-to-be merger isn't motivated by some sort of ego/penis inferiority complex)
5) This deal isn't going to do anything to reduce competition/reduce capacity/increase pricing power for US/HP or any other airline. In fact, it will probably intensify competition, reduce pricing power and increase capacity, all of these are negatives for the US/HP and the industry as a whole. I don't like to say it but the best thing that could happen is US die a swift death.
Old May 17, 2005, 2:46 pm

Programs: SQ Solitaire PPS AA nothing short of 1m miler US CP, HH Diamond,
US Airways with the current design!
Anyone who has ever worked with any advertising agency and has some knowledge of style and design has to admit that US Airways current design of their aircraft is by far the most stylish on any US carrier.
It is quite simply attractive and business like at the same time.
Second to it is AA.
It also has the appeal of being a national airline from the name although we all know that it is not through right now. But that would change with the merger! Take good things from HP and a brand from US which in the right hands could be developed to be the top of the class.
In the 90ies US was defenitely one if not the best premium carrier in the US!
Old May 17, 2005, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by eurousair
Anyone who has ever worked with any advertising agency and has some knowledge of style and design has to admit that US Airways current design of their aircraft is by far the most stylish on any US carrier.
Second to it is AA.
It also has the appeal of being a national airline from the name although we all know that it is not through right now. But that would change with the merger! Take good things from HP and a brand from US which in the right hands could be developed to be the top of the class.

THANK YOU! Apparently HP kiddies think that the awful HP livery and name is superior to US Airways'.
Old May 17, 2005, 3:03 pm

Cool US' paint still sucks

Originally Posted by eurousair
Hell no!

Yes every ad exec/designer likes one type of paint.

Working for an ad agency isn't going to automatically endear someone to US' paint. Some may like it while some will find it depressing (like me). It's too dark, dreary, and a reminder of failure/mismanagement.The livery is also functionally too dark. It will wear/fade quicker out west.

Get rid of it.

Second to it is AA.
Well that is clearly your opinion. I'll take AA's livery anyday, and I'm the biggest hater of AA's livery.

That may be so, but that was the 90's. Today, the US name should just be put out to pasture. Come up with something better and build that name.
Old May 17, 2005, 3:33 pm

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by fly747first
THANK YOU! Apparently HP kiddies think that the awful HP livery and name is superior to US Airways'.
Well, I see that Mr. Negativity strikes again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.