Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do YOU think the merged name should be?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2005, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by fly747first
But the core of Virgin's operations takes place across the Atlantic, DUH.
Woah-dude, you need to relax. That is comment isn't called for
Old May 12, 2005, 11:12 am

Programs: US1
One other thing. I don't think the America West name will go away. US Airways has kept most of the airlines that have merged in with the company such as Piedmont and a couple of others. America West might fly as an express banner or something. I am sure the HP management might do such a thing for their express flying on the west coast.
Old May 12, 2005, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
I am sure the HP management might do such a thing for their express flying on the west coast.
That would be a great idea.
Old May 12, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: US1
Here are a couple of the merged airlines:

PSA Airlines, Piedmont

One was Allegheny

US has preserved a couple of the names that now fly as their express carriers. I think in some of your cities in the west this would be appropriate.

If the merger does go through and you want to see the America West name survive (I am sure US and HP are already thinking this at least I hope they are.) I would suggest when the merger news is announced to start CALLING not writing Consumer Affairs at US Airways and what ever department you all have at America West.

I am not sure if you have been on some of the express carriers that US Airways has such as PSA and Allegheny, Piedmont. But if you look at the side of the airplanes the yave operated by PSA or Allegheny or who ever. Also on that emergency card in your seat pocket they have the names of the previous airlines as well. So their names do live on.

That way when they start to intergrate the companies this will be in place. Thank you for Flying US Airways, Operated by America West Airlines.

T

Last edited by US AIRWAYS FAN; May 12, 2005 at 1:53 pm
Old May 12, 2005, 2:32 pm

Cool Give it up.

Originally Posted by fly747first
If you were so smart you would know that US Airways' European flights are highly profitable (unlike their domestic operations obviously).
I'm smart enought to know that if you can't feed your intl network without massive losses, profitable intl routes mean nothing, and without feeds US' PHL/CLT-Europe flights would bleed money like... well like US.

Lecture all you want about US Airways being bad, the truth is, many of you are going to be introduced to international First Class thanks to US Airways' membership in the Star Alliance.
LOL! Many of us have already tasted the sweet life by redeeming for far superior F/J awards on BA for years. I myself redeem at least one BA F flight every year. I'm set to redeem two flights on VS' new upper class suites this fall. Redeeming on Envoy will be a let down for me.

I bet within the first months of the merger we are going to be reading tons of postings regarding how great First and Business Class is on *A carriers like SQ once you guys are able to redeem miles.
SQ is the only Star carrier worth redeeming on. I wouldn't waste my miles on LH's F product. And just try getting an SQ award with US miles. It's nowhere near as easy as you try to make it sound. US is at the bottom of the list with regard to inventory. SQ isn't going to make tons of inventory available to an second-rate UA wannabe.

There are a few of us(I believe) that fly HP, but credit some miles towards VS where we can redeem miles on SQ flights. I have 350k VS miles that I'm saving for an SQ award. Since SQ has a 49% share of VS, VS get's better award inventory than US.

I'm still laughing at your comment about JFK - LAX. It's a good market to have, but unfortunately, most people would fly United p.s. on this route
Yes, the entire JFK-LAX market flies UA ps exclusively.

This shows me you know absolutely nothing about the airline business. First, UA lost a lot of corporate contracts to AA on the LAX-JFK run. So ps means nothing on that route.

Second, the UA PS flights are a low density product that relies more on high yields as they lowered the number of seats from 170+ to 110. Not to mention that the capacity of the ps service is in no way able to service that entire market.

Despite your poorly thought out claims about PS, HP has good LF and yields on it JFK-LAX flights, which US doesn't have at all.

...which makes HP seem like the pathetic low-cost airline it is.
Yet this pathetic low-cost airline will be assimilating your so-called five-star airline.

US Airways has lots of problems, but at least when they had enough cash they had one of the best transatlantic First...
LOL! US has never had the best transatlantic F product. Keep dreaming.

Lastly, most people prefer US colors over HP colors.
And most people prefer chocolate over plain vanilla. Who cares? The US colors won't be permanent either.
Old May 12, 2005, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Some of you need to seek out psychiatric help... and sooner, rather than later.
Old May 12, 2005, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I'm smart enought to know that if you can't feed your intl network without massive losses, profitable intl routes mean nothing, and without feeds US' PHL/CLT-Europe flights would bleed money like... well like US.

LOL! Many of us have already tasted the sweet life by redeeming for far superior F/J awards on BA for years. I myself redeem at least one BA F flight every year. I'm set to redeem two flights on VS' new upper class suites this fall. Redeeming on Envoy will be a let down for me.

SQ is the only Star carrier worth redeeming on. I wouldn't waste my miles on LH's F product. And just try getting an SQ award with US miles. It's nowhere near as easy as you try to make it sound. US is at the bottom of the list with regard to inventory. SQ isn't going to make tons of inventory available to an second-rate UA wannabe.

There are a few of us(I believe) that fly HP, but credit some miles towards VS where we can redeem miles on SQ flights. I have 350k VS miles that I'm saving for an SQ award. Since SQ has a 49% share of VS, VS get's better award inventory than US.

Yes, the entire JFK-LAX market flies UA ps exclusively.

This shows me you know absolutely nothing about the airline business. First, UA lost a lot of corporate contracts to AA on the LAX-JFK run. So ps means nothing on that route.

Second, the UA PS flights are a low density product that relies more on high yields as they lowered the number of seats from 170+ to 110. Not to mention that the capacity of the ps service is in no way able to service that entire market.

Despite your poorly thought out claims about PS, HP has good LF and yields on it JFK-LAX flights, which US doesn't have at all.

Yet this pathetic low-cost airline will be assimilating your so-called five-star airline.

LOL! US has never had the best transatlantic F product. Keep dreaming.

And most people prefer chocolate over plain vanilla. Who cares? The US colors won't be permanent either.
LOL I think you are the one dreaming, and one more thing, I know a lovely "told you, told you, told you" song that comes with a special dance, which will be performed by the lovely HP cabin crew as they welcome US CPs to First Class and leave former HP Plats and Golds behind in Coach.

FYI: Learn how to read, I never said US Airways had the best intl First Class, I just said one of the best. It shows how ignorant you are. When US had intl F, the seats by themselves had more leg room than any other F class in the world at 94 inches, not to mention the 6-course menus, complete bedding with proper duvet and sleep suit/slippers, etc.

In case you missed that memo (then again it seems like you never get any of them), the Star Alliance has many great carriers such as ANA, Thai, and Asiana, not just SQ.

Only a mentally challenged person would fly HP from JFK to LAX when UA offers a superior p.s. product. Please do yourself a favor, before you talk about things that you have no clue about, make sure you do some research.
Old May 12, 2005, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
Reading around, there is a fear (whether real or perceived) that the America West name will lose to the US Airways name in a merged airline, and that the US Airways name is "damaged goods".

If HP/US were to hold a contest to name the new merged airline, what would you want it to be?

Bob
All,

Can we get back on topic? I started this thread with the *fun* of naming the new merged airline. It was fun for the first 30 or so threads, but it has degraded into a who's better than who debate.

In the words of Rodney King "Can't we all just get along"? (Besides, if we don't play nice, this thread will be shut down.)

Bob
Old May 12, 2005, 5:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
All,

Can we get back on topic? . . . if we don't play nice, this thread will be shut down.
That is a true statement.

Folks, FT has rules against personal attacks and name calling like that exhibited in this thread. Take a deep breath and calm down.

No more attacks aimed at another member.

Let's keep this on topic and away from the personal crap.

Thank you for your cooperation!

AZ Travels the World
Old May 12, 2005, 5:05 pm

Cool

LOL I think you are the one dreaming, and one more thing, I know a lovely "told you, told you, told you" song that comes with a special dance, which will be performed by the lovely HP cabin crew as they welcome US CPs to First Class and leave former HP Plats and Golds behind in Coach.
Simply retarded. Why would they be overjoyed at the sight of roaches?

When US had intl F, the seats by themselves had more leg room than any other F class in the world at 94 inches, not to mention the 6-course menus, complete bedding with proper duvet and sleep suit/slippers, etc.
Brilliant. No wonder they're broke. Flying A330's with a reduced premium cabin.

In case you missed that memo (then again it seems like you never get any of them), the Star Alliance has many great carriers such as ANA, Thai, and Asiana
None of which are anything special in the light of CX or SQ.

Only a mentally challenged person would fly HP from JFK to LAX when UA offers a superior p.s. product.
One could say the same thing about US if they flew the route. It's funny how you keep refering to UA to argue on US' behalf. Where are the LAX-JFK transcons flights from your "world-class" airline.

In fact, how many cities do they fly to out west. No where as many as HP flies back east.

Face it, US is UA's ******* child in the *A.

Please do yourself a favor, before you talk about things that you have no clue about, make sure you do some research.
Yet despite your troll gibberish, you still haven't proven why HP members should be overjoyed with the prospect of partnering with a floundering airline and it's worthless DM program.

You've come in here with absurd statements trying to "WOW" us with the obviously nonexistant wonderfulness of the Star Alliance not realizing that many of us have experienced better.

You try to compare the entire * alliance to HP, and yet HP is taking over one member, and stands ready to benefit immensely when the other collapses in financial ruin and historical oblivion.
Old May 12, 2005, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Simply retarded. Why would they be overjoyed at the sight of roaches?

Brilliant. No wonder they're broke. Flying A330's with a reduced premium cabin.

None of which are anything special in the light of CX or SQ.

One could say the same thing about US if they flew the route. It's funny how you keep refering to UA to argue on US' behalf. Where are the LAX-JFK transcons flights from your "world-class" airline.

In fact, how many cities do they fly to out west. No where as many as HP flies back east.

Face it, US is UA's ******* child in the *A.

Yet despite your troll gibberish, you still haven't proven why HP members should be overjoyed with the prospect of partnering with a floundering airline and it's worthless DM program.

You've come in here with absurd statements trying to "WOW" us with the obviously nonexistant wonderfulness of the Star Alliance not realizing that many of us have experienced better.

You try to compare the entire * alliance to HP, and yet HP is taking over one member, and stands ready to benefit immensely when the other collapses in financial ruin and historical oblivion.

I was using figurative language, though I can see how that must have flown you by.

First and foremost, in case you are confused, United is a member of the Star Alliance. I did not say anything about US Airways flying JFK - LAX. I specifically stated that in terms of inflight services, premium passengers will choose United's p.s. over America West JFK - LAX flights. Let me refresh your memory, on p.s. flights, United offers lie-flat seats in UnitedFirst and comfortable leather seats with legrests in UnitedBusiness. As fas as the world knows, HP does not have a single First Class seat equipped with legrests.

It is obvious that you have no idea how profitable Envoy Class is for US Airways. Well, guess what? They do sell plenty of Envoy Class seats on international flights, so the A330s are certainly not the reason why US Airways is bankrupt.

Between HP Plats and US CPs, the bigger group of roaches is the first. After all, HP is a low-cost airline, and even First Class fares are significantly cheaper than on US Airways. It amazes me that you think HP Plats pay higher fares than the average CP, please...

"You've come in here with absurd statements trying to "WOW" us with the obviously nonexistant wonderfulness of the Star Alliance not realizing that many of us have experienced better."

It's not as if HP was such a great airline that global alliances would want it. Again, another fact, HP has a very limited number of partners. Perhaps you should know that the Star Alliance is the largest airline alliance, which includes one of the world's three 5-star carriers, eight 4-star carriers, and seven 3-star carriers.

Time shall bring good things, and I must say that victory tastes great.

Aloha!
Old May 12, 2005, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reading around, there is a fear (whether real or perceived) that the America West name will lose to the US Airways name in a merged airline, and that the US Airways name is "damaged goods".

If HP/US were to hold a contest to name the new merged airline, what would you want it to be?

Bob

US AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL
Spirit of the West
Old May 12, 2005, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Sheesh! You would think you guys work for these airlines or something!

Byrd- I hate to say it, but there was a time when US had one of the best international F products in the United States. Remember- BA tought US a thing or two about service back when they were in bed together.

And we all love BA, no one's denying that . . . but most people, when it comes down to it, would give up BA in light of all the other world-class airlines that would come within reach in the Star Alliance. I confidently say that you are in the minority in your particular strong feelings for BA. (Don't get me wrong, I've flown BA several times, but BA isn't all-that, nothing personal).

The comparison between the US city-count out west and the HP city-county back east isn't fair either. US flies to tons more cities in the east than HP does in the west, and USX is one of the largest and most complex regional systems- certainly larger than HP's.

US isn't anyone's anything in the *A.

And I would hardly say that dividend miles is worthless. How is the *A worthless? Standard awards are just a difficult to redeem on US as they are on HP. DM provides some of the same benefits that FlightFund does, and upgrades are often easier to come by because US has more F seats on comprable aircraft.

But that aside, what is the point of this argument? I don't understand what either of you is trying to prove? That your own airlines is better? So US/HP is better. Now what?
Old May 12, 2005, 9:38 pm

The name should reflect the history of America West and all the airlines

US Airways was Allegheny Airlines, which came from All American Aviation which began service in May 1939, providing mail service to the Allegheny Mountain region; Robinson Airlines, predecessor of Mohawk Airlines, started operations in 1945, principally in New York state; "Colonel" Roscoe Turner started Turner Airlines in 1949, serving Indiana and Ohio, the company became Lake Central Airlines in 1951; Pacific Southwest Airlines, the legendary and beloved (of intra-California travelers) "PSA"; --- Piedmont Airlines a post WWII upstart served the mid-Atlantic region and the south from the Carolinas.

The combined company will have quite a heritage and it would be great if a combined entity name could take advantage of that heritage.

http://www.usairways.com/about/corpo...y/heritage.htm

Edited to add Allegheny Airlines

Last edited by BF263533; May 13, 2005 at 12:22 pm
Old May 12, 2005, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Sheesh! You would think you guys work for these airlines or something!

Byrd- I hate to say it, but there was a time when US had one of the best international F products in the United States. Remember- BA tought US a thing or two about service back when they were in bed together.

And we all love BA, no one's denying that . . . but most people, when it comes down to it, would give up BA in light of all the other world-class airlines that would come within reach in the Star Alliance. I confidently say that you are in the minority in your particular strong feelings for BA. (Don't get me wrong, I've flown BA several times, but BA isn't all-that, nothing personal).

The comparison between the US city-count out west and the HP city-county back east isn't fair either. US flies to tons more cities in the east than HP does in the west, and USX is one of the largest and most complex regional systems- certainly larger than HP's.

US isn't anyone's anything in the *A.

And I would hardly say that dividend miles is worthless. How is the *A worthless? Standard awards are just a difficult to redeem on US as they are on HP. DM provides some of the same benefits that FlightFund does, and upgrades are often easier to come by because US has more F seats on comprable aircraft.

But that aside, what is the point of this argument? I don't understand what either of you is trying to prove? That your own airlines is better? So US/HP is better. Now what?

Thank you for your neutral and well-informed response. I won't deny that until very recently (when US Airways started giving boxed meals in transcontinental first class) there was no doubt in my mind that US Airways was way better than America West. As you know, in the good old times, US Airways had a magnificent international First Class as well as Envoy Business Class. However, it seems that very soon there won't be two airlines called America West and US Airways as they will merge into one.

As of today, I feel that many HP Elites need to accept that though US Airways has been in the hands of terrible executives who have destroyed the airline, when US Airways had money, it was an industry leader. I'm an airline world lover, and it offends me that some people deny the fact that out of the major US carriers, US Airways was the last one to get downgraded from 4 stars to 3. You are absolutely right that US Airways learned how to have a competitive transatlantic premium class from BA-- the world's favourite airline .

My argument basically consisted of two things: US Airways does have profitable routes in the east coast as well as european routes, if it was so terrible then America West wouldn't be thinking about merging with them and secondly, the Star Alliance is definitely something to look forward to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.