Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I didn't get upgraded today, but an employee did

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lifer
Sometimes I feel like I've been the World's Greatest "Stewardess", and yet I come up empty, lots of Thank You's and Great Flights, which of course are gratifying to hear, but I'm always hoping for the little reward.

OK, so this brings up a question for me.... As a lowly gold I don't get A&B cards to hand out. I've had a number of really nice flights with HP, but to date don't have any kind of immediate gratification to offer other than a "thank you."

What's appropriate? I could make my own A&B cards to hand to the FAs to be forwarded to management, but I'm not sure if that will accomplish anything. I could send an email or a letter every time I come across someone special. I could hand out Starbucks gift cards (although that may violate the "no tipping" policy).
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: Empty Seat Program
Hi Andrew!
This is news to me! We are under the impression that all Elites got the A&Bs!
Bummer! No wonder its so hard to get them sometimes! I was saving up for some WN passes and came up 2 short, but was able to mooch from another FA.
On rare occasions, we get little "gifts" like candy. Just got a little box of Frango mint chocs 2 weeks ago for the whole crew to share.Very thoughtful, but certainly not expected. Many FA are perpetually dieting, too. (Not me!)
The company reccomends we do not eat anything given to us by a pax.
I use my common sense, this box was wrapped/sealed.

Actually, a quick positive feedback note thru email would be wonderful!
"Good" letters are so rare, and you can keep them in your file to counteract the "Hatemail". Everyone gets "Hatemail" eventually, cuz if its a non-specific complaint, (no name, just The flight attendant was rude) EVERYONE on the crew gets it in their file. And there are also the bogus complaints from pax who know they will get a travel cert., so they make stuff up.
You have write a response, see your sup, and it goes in your file to be held over your head ata alater date.

Last edited by Lifer; Mar 17, 2005 at 1:43 pm
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:04 pm

Programs: HPFA
Originally Posted by PaulaNH
I, too, registered today to reply to this thread. I think for the most part HP FA's do a great job. I have had my share of unattentive, self indulgent FA as well, but for the most part they are few and far between. I give out A&B cards for FA's that refer to me by name, keep coach passengers behind the wall until all FC use the Lav, actually make several rounds during the flight to see to my needs and most importantly don't sit on their fanny for the whole flight (I travel almost exclusively BOS-LAS). I personally believe upgrades should go to FF first, as we are the bread and butter of the airline. Employees should be last on the list. I have another suggestion, as well....Goes back to a thread a while ago but anyway.....FC should be given the option of the meal in first or one of the BOB offerings. I have had the same meal in first for 2 years now. I like salad, but geez................ Thanks to all that provide GREAT info here. I have learned much over the last couple of years!
Paula, the meals in the main cabin are suppied by the catering company. AWA does not "own" them and therefore we cannot offer them as replacements for the FC meal... I don't know how many times I have had a FC pax ask for one and I have to tell them they have to purchase it.. You can imagine the looks I get! We as FA's have to purchase the food if we wish to eat.. there are so many times when we are late inbound that we don't have time to get off the plane and grab anything, not our fault we're late, but the company thinks we can carry enough food for a four day trip and keep it cool. I too wish AWA would change the menu more often...too many of you fly with us week after week and are given the same choices.
They say the squeaky wheel gets the oil so perhaps more of you should write to the company with your suggestions .. I appreciate the suggestions from all of you regarding the A&B's. I see a few areas where I need improvement!

Last edited by AWAFA320; Mar 17, 2005 at 2:08 pm
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Wow, folks. I have to say, this is one of the most interesting and insightful threads we've had on the HP board in, well, ever. This is clearly attributable to all of you who have taken the step out of the "shadows" and elected to participate in the conversation.

To those of you who are newly registered members, a big welcome. I hope you will continue to participate in the ongoing dialogue on this board. While a fair amout of the miles-earning strategy threads may not be of much interest to you, we talk about a lot of HP operational issues here, and your input is sincerely desired. It is so much more robust when we have informed opinioins, as opposed to those of us who just think our opinions are informed.

Seriously, welcome Lifer, Purdue Flyer, Jettsetter2ORD, Pepsi Slinger and AWAFA320 and thank you for participating. I truly hope we see more of you.

To those of you still lurking out there -- jump in. As discussion boards go, I'm happy to say that this is a pretty friendly one.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:35 pm

Programs: US/CO/AA/MR Plat
Originally Posted by andrewp
Thanks you very much for all that you do.

I for one don't know how FAs can put up with the "average" HP customer day in and day out and not be on a clock tower with a high power rifle at the end of the week.
The "average" HP customer is a tough crowd. You got the priceline crowd flying in the back, the vacation package crowd getting drunk, and your elites spread all over the place. Compared to other airlines, I would say AWA gets a very diverse crowd.

That being said, AWA has to figure out a way to make this crowd fly on their airline more than the competition. It is rare to see AWA rank high in anything. AWA probably has the most inconsistent service of any airline I've flown. One flight will be outstanding, and then the flight home will be a complete dissapointment. I did a round trip to ATL a few weeks back. The flight out was great. I was in Y but the FA's were very attentive, the flight was on-time, and I was able to get a Turkey Sandwich for $5.

Coming home was another story. The flight was late inbound from Phoenix. I was stuck at a pay phone during boarding so I was one of the last on the plane (I know my fault). When I passed through the door they told me they were out of space and I'd have to check my bag. They asked where I was sitting. I figured no problem. After the door closed the FA came up to me with the gate check tag and scolded me in front of everyone for being late on the plane and trying to bring such a large bag. Mind you, people boarded behind me and I let them take my bag without a word. She went on for over a minute that I should have known better and I was being inconsiderate of the other passengers. Finally the guy next to me in the middle seat said "enough." It was really quite a sight. Turns out he was an employee!
The FA's did one quick drink service, BOB, and we never saw them again.

When I was getting off the plane, the first apologized to me for the behavior of her co-worker saying they had a long day. She alone corrected a very unhappy customer! She shouldn't have to do this.

AWA needs to figure out how to be a better airline on a consistent basis. Southwest is consistent. You know what you're getting, even if it isn't a lot. They are almost never rude and really have a good attitude. The few times I've been on jetblue it was similar to Southwest. Even struggling Independence Air offers really good customer service. AWA offers good customer service about half the time. You guys need to fix this.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by Lifer
Which brings us to Steve64...Not sure what your idea of the appropriate way for a middle seat pax to sit is. Also, I am wondering if you have different guidelines for pax wearing uniforms, vs pax not wearing uniforms.
Hi Lifer,

Welcome to FlyerTalk !

No, I don't have different guidelines for pax with/without uniforms.
I myself worked for AA for 19 years, most as a Gate Agent.

I don't think a middle seat person should sit "spread eagle". This gentelman's feet should go under the seat in front of him, not under the seat in front of me and the window passenger (we have feet and legs too !!). He wasn't a "person of size" so there was also no excuse have his elbow 6 inches across my chest. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

While I don't have different guidelines for employees, when in uniform you represent your carrier wether or not if you're on duty. So in that respect, I'm guilty of walking off the airplane with a little grudge against HP and not just an inconsiderate seatmate.

Steve
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Lightbulb I wish HP would replenish A&B cards

These cards do have serial numbes on them. Assuming that employees turn them in in a timely fasion, there's no reason FlightFund computer can't realize an Elite is running low so send a new batch !

I only bring this up cuz of my own "A&B spending habits"
I hoard them in the beginning of the year. It really takes exceptional service to earn one of mine since I think that maybe next week I'll encounter someone who deserves one even more...but I'll be out. So I end up with cards nearing their expiration date and passing out to anyone who smiles at me. I even gave 2 to a Res Agent who was non-revving in the seat next to me just because they were expiring (and we did have a nice un-biased discussion on the perceptions that airline employees and pax have of each other). I'm not saying my logic is correct, just it's how I think ... and I wouldn't think that way if I knew I'd be getting another set of cards.

How to earn one of my cards ?
Taking the time to look at the manifest and calling me by name will put you in the stratoshere !! A simple smile works miracles (yea, I know you work long hard days, but make the effort). And then just a little extra effort beyond the ordinary to show some common courtesy, respect and understanding that I've probably been on the road for a few days, tired and just want to get home.

Oh...
For the Elites. All of the above comments are a "2 way street" and apply to you too. Except I ain't gonna give you one of my A&B cards

Steve
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:42 pm

Hi Steve!

The A&Bs are usually turned in the month after the expiration date on the card. It takes FOREVER to collect 8 or 10. And thats only if you consistantly work F. The 2004s expire at the end of Feb, and we have until the end of March to get them processed, so right now there is a mad scramble to beg, borrow, or steal if you need one or two.
I had 7, lost one, and mooched 2. For 8 I can get 2 RT fee-waived S/B tickets on WN (value $120).
Most try for 10. That'll get you 2 RT positive space HP tkts that you can use for yourself or anyone else. They payroll deduct the tax.
Before we turn them in, we can make a copy of them to put in our file, so its nice if you write something on there about how wonderful we were (wink).

Trust me, we wish you could have more, too!

Last edited by Lifer; Mar 17, 2005 at 8:45 pm
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Wow, this has to be the best thread I've read on here, except maybe the silver challenge thread that got me to elite status quickly last year.

I really struggle as to when to give these A&B cards out. Although I think "Jim" the GA in MSP for our PHX flight is getting one next time I see him. The guy runs C9 like clockwork and he is very deliberate about who is boarding when. Really good guy.

Kinda off topic here but those of you that work as FA for HP or know this, is the meal selection still front to back on east/north bound flights and back to front on west/southbound flights? Seems like some FAs make it up as they go along. Even had one start at D then move to A. Just wondering if they changed this or not.

Lance
Old Mar 18, 2005, 8:21 am

Hi Lance!

Taking orders for meals is supposed to be like you said. Some FAs then switch to starting in the front to actually serve. Me, I serve in the same direction I took the orders.
Maybe someone was asleep, and that made it look like the FA was jumping around? I will never wake someone up, sleeping is the best thing you can do on the airplane!

PS Beverage-only flights are always front to back.

Last edited by Lifer; Mar 18, 2005 at 8:25 am
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by andrewp
OK, so this brings up a question for me.... As a lowly gold I don't get A&B cards to hand out. I've had a number of really nice flights with HP, but to date don't have any kind of immediate gratification to offer other than a "thank you."

Every year I have always received A&Bs to hand out as a Silver and as a Gold.

Is it better to leave them blank or fill them out?I know employees like to sell them, ( market value about $20 ?)so would they prefer blank ones or do they want the comment area filled in?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:41 am

Programs: HPFA
Smile

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Wow, folks. I have to say, this is one of the most interesting and insightful threads we've had on the HP board in, well, ever. This is clearly attributable to all of you who have taken the step out of the "shadows" and elected to participate in the conversation.

To those of you who are newly registered members, a big welcome. I hope you will continue to participate in the ongoing dialogue on this board. While a fair amout of the miles-earning strategy threads may not be of much interest to you, we talk about a lot of HP operational issues here, and your input is sincerely desired. It is so much more robust when we have informed opinioins, as opposed to those of us who just think our opinions are informed.

Seriously, welcome Lifer, Purdue Flyer, Jettsetter2ORD, Pepsi Slinger and AWAFA320 and thank you for participating. I truly hope we see more of you.

To those of you still lurking out there -- jump in. As discussion boards go, I'm happy to say that this is a pretty friendly one.
Thank you for making us welcome to post here... it's always nice to have both sides of the story in any situation! We are all human, some days you're the one having the bad/long day and sometimes it's us. Sometimes it's completely out of our control. My attitude (and sometimes it's really hard) is to leave my personal life at the AC door. I don't know what went on in your life before you stepped on board but I can try to give you the best flight you've had that day! Thanks again for making us welcome and giving us some inside tips on how to do a better job and earn those A&B's!
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Lifer,

Well yeah she did mix it up and the D-A thing isn't really that big of a deal. I've not seen a FA server back to front ever, just meal selection.

The FA last night on MSP to PHX 7pm flight actually started at the front workd back to us. When I mentioned the order she thought I was kidding. It was find as a few skipped their meal and I got the salad and not the pasta but heck if the meals are consistent so should the order of selection LOL.

Overall I think you guys do a great job. Nothing makes me happier than to see the same FA on the flight week after week (as long as he/she is a good one that is) and they remember what I drink and my meal selection at times too. That really impresses me and earns an A&B card anytime it happens.

Thanks to those of you who are insiders for all your insight. Hopefully being able to see both sides of the road will help us all with our expectations before, during and after the flight.

Lance
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Ord26
Every year I have always received A&Bs to hand out as a Silver and as a Gold.

Is it better to leave them blank or fill them out?I know employees like to sell them, ( market value about $20 ?)so would they prefer blank ones or do they want the comment area filled in?
I like it when Elites write something nice, because we make copies of them to go in our file before we turn them in.
It dosen't matter if they are blank or not when it comes to passing them to other FAs. They still work, even with someone else's name on them!
I have heard of some FAs buying/selling them, but most just give them or "borrow" (till they earn more to pay-back). $20 sounds a little high, tho.
I don't believe we are allowed to "sell" them, but I may be wrong about that.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1 MM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I have a bunch of leftover 2004 A&B's. Since they don't have to be turned-in until the end of March, can I hand them out on my flights next week?

I haven't been real liberal with them in the past because I didn't realize that they held some actual value for the employees. It would be nice if FF would explain the program better in the annual elite packet. Like other posters, I appreciate being called by name, a friend smile, and not having the FA hide-out in the galley for the majority of the flight. Also, if relegated to Y, it is nice if the FA checks the manifest and recognizes the elites sitting in the back. I know I've read that the FAs are discouraged from doing it, but a complimentary drink is very much appreciated on those days that I don't get upgraded. After reading here how much the A&B's are appreciated, I will certainly be more quick to recognize good service with a certificate instead of just a "thank you" at the end of the flight. All in all, I must say that I've been very happy with the service on HP after switching over from WN & AA two years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.