Wiki Posts
Search

First Class AWest or Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS,AC
First Class AWest or Alaska

We are flying Calgary/Puerto Vallarta on a holiday in April. AW and Alaska are about the same price in First Class. AW (a bit more money) has no meals and Alaska has some sustenance. Is there one of the airlines FClass that you prefer ? Like are there club passes, or other perks.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 7:29 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
Originally Posted by Dmarsh11
We are flying Calgary/Puerto Vallarta on a holiday in April. AW and Alaska are about the same price in First Class. AW (a bit more money) has no meals and Alaska has some sustenance. Is there one of the airlines FClass that you prefer ? Like are there club passes, or other perks.
I can tell you that from my flights on Alaska, F class is a bit cramped, otherwise the service is nice.

America West F is more comfortable and you would have access to the Clubs in Phoenix.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 5:02 pm

Programs: HP - Plat; HHonors - Dia; Hyatt - Dia; SPG - Plat; Marr - Silv; Avis - Pref Sel
Beware of America West Express (Mesa Air) flights that don't have F/C seats! There are two flights per day from YYC to PHX. The early one (7:05am) is a 737 with F/C. The afternoon one (3pm) is a RJ with no F/C and SMALL coach seats. It's a tough three-hours in those seats.

AWA is also using the RJs to Puerto Vallarta, so beware.

AWA will sell you a F/C ticket, with a footnote that says F/C may not be available on all segments of your trip.

If you can guarantee real F/C seats on all legs of your trip, that's the airline I would choose. I don't know about Alaska's use of the small jets, but they're cropping up everywhere.

When AWA first contracted the Freedom Air division of Mesa Air, those RJs had 6 F/C seats, and they were nice! One could tolerate a multi-hour flight in those seats. Then they took the F/C seats out. Now I do whatever I can to avoid those flights.

There are other issues with Mesa Air, but that's for another thread!
Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I'm sorry to say that I would definitely choose AS if I were purchasing F/C on this route. You'll get nothing to eat on HP and will be on an old 737.

AS's F/C service is reasonably nice and in my estimation the seats are no worse than HP's 737's.

As ftonyp points out, there is also definitely the regional jet factor with HP from Calgary to PHX and then on to PV, so make sure you're not on one, or you won't actually be in F/C. The easiest way to tell is if the flight number is four digits; if so, it's a regional jet. If it is three or less, it isn't.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Flight Numbers

Alaska flights are 698 (747-400) to Lax and 278 (737-900) to PVR. Same planes on the return. Cost is $1714 CND. Bfst and snacks.

A West is 457 (A319) to PHX and 344 (737-300) to PVR. Cost is $1828 CND.
No meals.

It is possible to take a Horizon flight to SEA then AS to PVR. In that case the first leg is Bombardier Q400 (Have to support the Canadian air industry !!), which of course is Coach and a turbo prop. SEA to PVR is an MD-80. Snacks and dinner. Same price as first option.

Does this change anyones opinion ?? Also I have priority pass, so maybe that has a bearing.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 2:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Alaska flights are 698 (747-400) to Lax and 278 (737-900) to PVR. Same planes on the return. Cost is $1714 CND. Bfst and snacks.

No meals.

. . . Does this change anyones opinion ?? Also I have priority pass, so maybe that has a bearing.
First, regarding AS's 747-400 --you wish! More like, we all wish! I'm sure you meant 737, as I'm quite confident that AS isn't planning to add any 747-400's to the fleet between now and April.

In my mind, there's still no question about it. You'll have a better service experience on AS and save a few $$ in the process. I truly wish the opposite were true.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Dec 4, 2004 at 2:27 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

737 not 747

Yeh, I meant 737, not 747, but I did not know how to edit the post. Thank you very much eveyone for your continuing help.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond

No meals.

It is possible to take a Horizon flight to SEA then AS to PVR. In that case the first leg is Bombardier Q400 (Have to support the Canadian air industry !!), which of course is Coach and a turbo prop. SEA to PVR is an MD-80. Snacks and dinner. Same price as first option.

Does this change anyones opinion ?? Also I have priority pass, so maybe that has a bearing.
I guess to each his or her own but almost 2K Canadian for such short flights hardly seems worth it. Unless money is no object you could buy some amazing meals or get a fantastic room upgrade rather than the marginally more space and lousy meal that you would get in paid F. Can you upgrade on any carrier using miles? Also, if flying first is critical, you might consider Continental as their FC product is a cut above that of AS or HP.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thecortex
I guess to each his or her own but almost 2K Canadian for such short flights hardly seems worth it. Unless money is no object you could buy some amazing meals or get a fantastic room upgrade rather than the marginally more space and lousy meal that you would get in paid F. Can you upgrade on any carrier using miles? Also, if flying first is critical, you might consider Continental as their FC product is a cut above that of AS or HP.
These flights aren't that short. It must be at least 5-6 hours flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.