Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non refundable tixx,,,,,anyway around this?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Non refundable tixx,,,,,anyway around this?

Hey all,

So about 10 of us are scheduled to fly jfk-las xmas week. My girlfriend of 2 years was originally suppost to come but she decided to end our relationship (isnt that nice of her) so now I am stuck with her tocket on my credit card. It is a non refundable fair. Anyway I can transfer this to my name or to someone elses name for even a 100 dollar fee which will be cheaper than the 355 dollar fare?

Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2003, 6:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Sorry to hear about your relationship. That. . . bites!

I'd be surprised if you could get America West to change the name on a ticket. I've never tried but it seems that's one of those things that would be very difficult to get them to do. Your best chance is to call their reservations number (1-800-2FLY-AWA) and get someone who seems like a really nice lady who would be sympathetic to your plight (hang up and dial again if it's someone who sounds like they wouldn't be sympathetic). If you don't like the answer, write their name down so you can remember it and call back. Assuming it is a different person, start over again. I have to say I've been pretty successful getting HP agents to do out-of-the-box things through this strategy. You have nothing to lose . . . and $355 to gain!
Old Oct 30, 2003, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
I doubt this will work. The only thing you can really hope for is that there is a significant change in the itinerary and then decline to accept the change and they have to refund.

Otherwise you could try calling and telling them her mother died or something and she had to aburptly change plans. This worked for a friend once who was in a similar situation.

Old Oct 30, 2003, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I had this happen once with a friend of my sons who was to accompany us on a trip and then could not

They would not refund but did issue a travel voucher in my name

HTH
Old Nov 2, 2003, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

So, tried it all and not all that good of a outcome.
After calling a few times to get a nice reservations lady, I begged and pleaded and all they could do for me was this. I would have to get a notarized letter from my ex girlfriend stating the ticket is now my property. Then I have to go to the airport to change the name, which will cost me a 100 bucks. Fine, but now is where it sucks. In order to avoid another 100 fee I would have to book my flight for that ticket then and there. If not then when I would do it it would cost me another 100 dollars. So I havent even travelled on my trip to vegas (and lost my money yet) but they want me to book right then and there. I dunno, sounds a bit crazy to me. I wonder if I cancel the tocket can I get my taxes back?? ahh well anyways thanks for the advice all.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 3:47 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Your next best bet would be to find another girlfriend with the same name.

You ain't got a lot of time, try lookin' in the phone book.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a sad story. Didn't they do away with that "instant rebook" rule -- and I thought AWA never adopted it anyway.

Keep trying. There's gotta be somebody in the company who's gonna understand your plight (maybe someone else who was jilted?) and give you a travel voucher in your name (it's your credit card right?) minus $100.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
This is why they sell tickets that are penalty free, for a cost.

Bottom line is that you entered a contract. They upheld their terms - a lower fare for a non-refundable ticket.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 8:57 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
If you can't find a new GF with the same name your next best bet would be to pray for a schedule change.

"What do you mean I gotta leave 10 minutes earlier???? It's a contract, ain't it???? I wanna refund!!!"
Old Nov 5, 2003, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

hey snake you are onto something,

I just checked my itenirary and it says I am suppost to arrive at 7:06am on the red eye. But according to the AW website, my flight (58) is scheduled to arrive JFK at 7:20...could this be enough of a schedule change to warrant a refund?? I will give it a shot on friday and hope I catch a happy AW employee....wish me luck
Old Nov 5, 2003, 8:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Playsmart:
hey snake you are onto something,

I just checked my itenirary and it says I am suppost to arrive at 7:06am on the red eye. But according to the AW website, my flight (58) is scheduled to arrive JFK at 7:20...could this be enough of a schedule change to warrant a refund?? I will give it a shot on friday and hope I catch a happy AW employee....wish me luck
</font>

I understand you want to get the money back badly in your unfortunate situation, but it's going to take a lot of wishful thinking to get a refund off a 14 minute schedule change.

In any case, you never know what you can get away with until you try! Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.