Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cashing in on Miles with AW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2003, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Cashing in on Miles with AW

I am new to this board and was wondering how far out in advance you need to call to cash in on a free ticket. I am looking at late October from CMH to LAS and when I called they said they have not opened up any seats yet. Any advice or strategies??

ty in advance
Old Apr 29, 2003, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond
Most airlines release seats 330 days in advance, but I'm not sure when HP does. Keep calling! Ask them if the seats are all taken, or if they're just not available yet - it's not clear from your post.

I'm thinking LAS will be a popular destination.

Also keep in mind some folks' (mine included) rule of thumb that if the ticket can be bought for less than about $400, you'll get a better value for your money by just buying it, rather than cashing miles.

One of the best uses of HP miles is on F tickets to Europe on BA. Another may be for transcon upgrades, but I wouldn't consider CMH-LAS a transcon.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Since LAS is a HP hub (and they have many flights into the airport), you will probably find better availability there than to many other destinations. On the other hand, LAS flights are usually inexpensive (example: $203 roundtrip right now CMH-LAS on CO, DL, HP, NW, UA, and US) so it probably is better to save your Flight Fund miles for another more rewarding trip.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. This is all new to me but I am learning.

Ty again
Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:28 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
You might try signing on to the americawest.com website and select the redeem miles option.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:33 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Depending on where you are in OH... you might want to look into flying from IND or CLE. Since the HP hub in CMH is disappearing, I'd suspect that CMh folks who otherwise could have used miles to fly to New York, Boston, etc. are now being funneled onto the PHX and LAS flights. I'd suspect that fewer people in IND and CLE have HP miles to burn.

Good luck!
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like the system somehow was not set to automatically set aside the award inventory on the flights and their inventory management people have not manually setup the Flightfund inventory on the flights you want.

If this is the case, ask if the agent when it will happen and if they can put in a request for you.

Steven

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.