Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I don't know how you folks put up with HP.....

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2001, 8:43 am

Programs: Advantage Platinum Pro, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I have heard of, and experienced, the flight delays and other problems America West has gone through. I won't defend them there. But I must say that my personal experience overall with them has been positive. Cheaper fares, easier upgrades, and convenient routes for the business I am in make them okay in my eyes.

My main loyalty is still with American but when I need a less expensive fare, especially to the southwest, I am glad they are there.
For example, end of June, I am going into PHX from BUR on Monday morning, to ABQ on Monday night, ABQ-PHX-TUS on Wednesday night and TUS-PHX-BUR on Thursday night for $229. I thought that was pretty good. That's 3000 base miles, 1500 Silver elite bonus and 4000 for the internet booking they are running currently for a total of 8500 miles. That's 2.7 cents per mile and no Saturday stay required.

Happy Travels
Old May 2, 2001, 11:29 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
You'd do well to thank Southwest Airlines for that good fare, if you wanted to do just the PHX-TUS segments America West would fleece you for more then $400.

Unless you buy your ticket from someone like Priceline it's unusual for America West to be the low cost leader.

I liked 'em better when their slogan was "It seems silly to pay more" now it's "Every flight counts" yeah...right...
Old May 2, 2001, 11:44 am

Programs: Advantage Platinum Pro, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I don't disagree with you about Southwest Snake. Competition drives prices down typically and Southwest keeps them honest. I do like the opportunities to upgrade which of course Southwest doesn't offer. But I would still agree they would be the low fare leader in these parts. And you are also correct about that PHX TUS segment. I can also get taken to the cleaners if I try to fly to Fresno through AA.com or UAL.com for over $250 sometimes.

Happy Travels
Old May 3, 2001, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Hello, I'm new to the board. I've been HP PLAT/Masters for about 4 years now. One thing I've noticed is that people always say "If they're this bad on short hauls, imagine them on long hauls". Well, I tend to commute on them as part of my job and am currently doing the PHX/EWR run every week. I've had very few problems on the long haul flights. The short ones from PHX are the really bad ones. I used to commute to SFO every week and hated it. The EWR flights aren't too bad. I've done the trip about 12 times so far this year, and have only been delayed 3 segments (all doue to weather). All in all, I would only avoid them for SHORT flights. Also, the plat status is nice - I've only missed out on 3 U/G's so far this year, and most of my tickets are the $400 cheapies. Gotta run and catch my plane home now.

Mike

------------------
Youth may fade, but immaturity can last a lifetime.
Old May 3, 2001, 5:14 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
FlyinMike:

You, like most of the "Happy Campers" on HP fly out of the Phoenix area, and therefore don't have to deal with connections.

I've been a OnePass Gold Elite since '93 and Platinum since they created that level. Flying out of Tucson, which has had only 2-3 flights a day on Continental, HP obviously offers a lot more options to the OnePass mmember. About half my flights have been on HP since the OnePass partnership began in 1994.

Having a flight from EWR delayed 45-60 minutes isn't a big deal unless you miss your connection with the last flight home, as has happended to me on a number of occasions.

Of my last 8 HP flights over a period of about a year only one has taken me to and from my destinaton without a major delay, cancellation or misconnection. I've had more flight irregularities on HP in that period then I've had on Contenental over the 8 years. I would consider a flight irregularity to arrive 90 minutes or more late.

Today I won't consider flying HP if I can get to my destination on CO flights, and if flying HP I allow extra time for flight irregularities. The past year has been the worst in the 6 or so years of my experience. All of the recent problems have been due to mechanical problems, or cancellations for undisclosed reasons. It's just getting soo frustrating to have your flight board and push back on time, only to have to turn around and have to return to the gate to have some mechanical problem fixed.

When my wife asks me when I'm getting back and what airline I'm flying if I say Continental she usually replies "Good, then you'll probably be home on time"

On the positive side I can say that as a OnePass Platinum I'm upgraded over 80% of the time at check-in, and I'm treated with the utmost respect at my local airport ticket counter, and at the America West Clubs.

Happy flyin', FlyinMike, and welcome to FlyerTalk.

Old May 4, 2001, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
True - they're not good if you need to connect. I try to go non-stop if at all possible. Me and 2 others were doing PHX/NRT routes last year on NW - the trip to LAX or SFO was on HP. It never happened to me, but my co-wokers would have to spend the night in California on several occasions. One strange thing though, of the 6 or so trips I did to NRT, every HP flight home was on-time. Once I even got an earlier bus home out of LAX - got home before I left work. That's a major plus after you cross that dateline east-bound!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.