Wiki Posts
Search

AW stays Indepedent

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 1999, 10:20 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

AW stays Indepedent

I guess I don't have to worry about asking for a Comp Elite status at UA after all. Here is what I got from the News Release for those that might be interested in AW's status.

America West Holdings Corporation
(NYSE: AWA) said today that it has terminated consideration of expressions of
interest in the acquisition of America West.
"In discharging its fiduciary obligation to shareholders, and after
careful review of the highly conditioned expressions of interest and of
antitrust, regulatory and employee issues, the board of directors unanimously
concluded that America West's shareholders, employees and the communities we
operate in will be better served by a growing, profitable and independent
company," said Bill Franke, chairman and chief executive officer.
Old Feb 23, 1999, 5:06 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Maybe a ploy inviting a hostile takeover?

Now if they could just settle their FA labor problems...
Old Feb 23, 1999, 2:09 pm
Commander Catcop

This opens the door to two possiblities:

AW can now join the in the planning stages new world alliance of CO, NW and whatever overseas airline that not's partnered up with anybody (Like Virgin.)

Maybe CO will now make its own run for AW, opening it up to the West Coast markets and thus making it an even bigger player in the North American fare game!

But onefreeman raises an excellent point. I think before AW does ANYTHING it should settle its issues with the Flight Attendants. That's all it needs: talking alliances when the F-A's don't have a decent deal! CATMAN
Old Feb 24, 1999, 1:42 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
According to a Bloomberg report today UA is working on prepairing another bid for America West, so it looks like we havn't seen the last of this.

[This message has been edited by Old Gold (edited 02-24-99).]

[This message has been edited by Old Gold (edited 02-24-99).]
Old Feb 25, 1999, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
CO has a right of first refusal on TPG's shares. The Company has no intention of buying HP, but will match any approved deal. CO would then have the same type of ownership position that NW has in CO.
Old Feb 25, 1999, 7:45 pm
Original Member

Location: UA UGS 1K; US Chairman: AA Platinum: Marriott Platinum Premier; *wood Gold
flingo, where does your information come from? Everything I have read is that Continental has given no indication of what they might do and may be leaning against acquiring the shares of America West. Is there a press release somewhere that I've missed?
Old Mar 16, 1999, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
My knowledge comes from SEC filings, but equity analysts and some press releases have mentioned it as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.