Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NH or UA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by sushi lover
Please forgive me, but what is SWU and CR1?

Thanks.
SWU: systemwide upgrade (you get 6 when reaching 1K + 2 additional when hitting 150k EQM)
CR1: confirmed region 1 upgrade (you get 2 when flying 10k EQM in a quarter to a max of 8/year)
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gleff
I should also note that programs like bmi and Lufthansa Miles & More are more generous with mileage earning on premium class fares. Seriously consider (a) asking bmi for a status match and then (b) crediting to bmi.

While I agree that bmi has good mileage earning / burning on premium fares, their mileage program operations are a mess. Members on the bmi forum regularly report flights not being credited, awards not being ticketed, and a general lack of competence among phone agents. It's a shame that operational issues are dragging down an otherwise decent mileage program.

If the OP is flying 10-12 intl trips/yr, I doubt he/she has time to chase down flight credits.... which makes bmi a less feasible option.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: ROP
Originally Posted by sushi lover
AG,

Thanks for the info, trust me, I would much rather ride on ANA, but currently I live in a city not served by ANA and dont really want to make a connection. Are you saying that UAL will get me more miles over time?

THanks.....

sushi
Me too, but NH now sells UA codeshares or their flights outright on their own site, in one ticket. Go to www.anaskyweb.com, enter your cities, and see.

The premium paid for the extra domestic leg in Y are _very_ good and beat what .bomb is offering. J, regrettably, aren't that good.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: ANA Plat, AA gold, SPG Gold, HH Silver
ANA Diamond members (equivalent of UA 1K) do get more in my opinion. Not only do you get upgrade points (JFK-NRT is 8 points for Y to C, you receive min. 40 for diamond, and an additional 2 for each additional 10,000 premium points earned, no limit), but you also recieve 125% bonus miles, not 100%. Additionally, you receive vouchers for use for free hotel nights, cash shopping vouchers, and your miles don't expire until 3 years after you lose diamond status, if you lose it. You get priority awards, and can even book ANY flight even if there aren't awards available (for a fee of extra miles, of course ) Plus, as previously stated, ANA doesn't do starnet blocking, and ANA miles are more valuable than those that would be earned on, for example, UA.

Lounges, on both you'd be *G so you would always have whatever gold lounge you wanted to use. But I don't think many would argue that RCC is better than NH's lounges.

Even if you have to "slum it" in economy, NH automatically gives you premium economy, which is an actual better, separate seat and compartment, compared to UA which just adds a few inches more between the same seats.

Overall the only thing united has is their new business class seats. lie-flat instead of angled lie-flat. everything else, IMO, is better with NH.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DAL-PM
Thanks for all the replies.....it seems to me that since I will be riding on UAL exclusively to start with, it makes sense to use M+. It seems that all the elite bonus miles only come when actually riding on the carrier themselves. My understanding is even if you book a ANA flight as a UAL codeshare, you still would not get the bonus miles. (even if you could, I dont think I will have control of how the flights are booked, so odds are they would be booked as the actual flight) So even if i was ANA elite, if I rode on UAL, i would not get the 100% or whatever it is bonus miles. If I end up moving to an ANA city, I can switch over if it makes more sense at that point.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
deleted

Last edited by portland67; Sep 30, 2009 at 10:14 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K , Delta Gold
i would say ANA program has better redemption value . each itinarary allows 4 stopovers , it's pretty good if you burn your miles into intra-asia tour.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
For the 4 stopovers mentioned above I think you might mean only if flying an all-ANA metal trip?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 2:40 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by dfyant
For the 4 stopovers mentioned above I think you might mean only if flying an all-ANA metal trip?
4 stopovers allowed even when you fly partner airlines.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
One thing I need to point out is that if you use UA mile for the partner award ticket, you can not change the date once the trip starts. Date change if using ANA mile is free.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by bossCJ
ANA Diamond members (equivalent of UA 1K) do get more in my opinion. Not only do you get upgrade points (JFK-NRT is 8 points for Y to C, you receive min. 40 for diamond, and an additional 2 for each additional 10,000 premium points earned, no limit), but you also recieve 125% bonus miles, not 100%. Additionally, you receive vouchers for use for free hotel nights, cash shopping vouchers, and your miles don't expire until 3 years after you lose diamond status, if you lose it. You get priority awards, and can even book ANY flight even if there aren't awards available (for a fee of extra miles, of course ) Plus, as previously stated, ANA doesn't do starnet blocking, and ANA miles are more valuable than those that would be earned on, for example, UA.

Lounges, on both you'd be *G so you would always have whatever gold lounge you wanted to use. But I don't think many would argue that RCC is better than NH's lounges.

Even if you have to "slum it" in economy, NH automatically gives you premium economy, which is an actual better, separate seat and compartment, compared to UA which just adds a few inches more between the same seats.

Overall the only thing united has is their new business class seats. lie-flat instead of angled lie-flat. everything else, IMO, is better with NH.
Please show all facts not just what seems better. See below ANA's fine print on Economy booking classes mile earning. UA gives you 100% of miles regardless of booking class...

Economy class
(Normal fare, Eco-Wari Premium, Premium Light fare)
Y, E
100%

Economy class
(Eco-Wari fare/PEX fare)
B, S, M, K, L, W, G, H
70%

Economy class
(Inclusive Tour fare)
T
50%

* Please note that fares with a booking class of O, I, R, X or N are ineligible for mileage accrual.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by dfyant
mileage and they charge very high fuel surcharges. An example I can show you is if you use ANA Miles for a *A flight from LAX-FRA I often had to pay upwards of $250-300 in bogus charges. Booking the same flight using AC miles was about $70. Asking United for that same flight "no availability".
fuel surcharge page
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/wws/fuel/index_e.html
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Ichinensei
For award tkts UA only charges airport tax, no fuel charge. It makes NH miles even less valuable
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
I think if you are riding in C, or F, NH has far better service. If you are riding in F, NH has a slightly nicer seat. In all other ways, UA wins for you - nonstops, RDMs, more generous terms on redemption, no expiration, etc.

One think I would offer about *net blocking -- I almost always get the dates and trips I want on UA, sometimes on partners, as long as I'm reasonably flexible about routing. So for example I wanted 3 C seats right around Christmas between IAD and VIE (this was in early october). MP couldn't get me three seats (in any class) on the OS nonstop but offered several choices and dates connecting in MUC or FRA. I don't actually know if OS even had three seats open on any flights on my preferred dates, but I suspect not. [I stopped checking the ANA tool a while ago when I realized I simply saved time by calling UA to check on redemption options].

So in a nutshell don't worry about the blocking.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by atakam
For award tkts UA only charges airport tax, no fuel charge. It makes NH miles even less valuable
actually, I'm not sure if that is accurate.
I just got a YYZ-ORD-NRT-HKG-SIN, flying on UA, NH twice and SQ
all in J/C class

None of the airlines charge me anything for fuel surcharges. Just airport taxes. Maybe if you are flying out of NRT using the ANA miles. Not sure. This whole industry is so full of mystery anyways

The one airline that is really bad is actually Air Canada and that is one reason why even though I am based in YYZ I didnt fly direct from YYZ-NRT. They are very expensive and their fuel surcharges are very high. Right now, the YYZ to NRT fuel surcharge is over $200. And yes, you have to pay that in your reward tix!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.