Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA vs. NH to Beijing/Shanghai in C

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
UA vs. NH to Beijing/Shanghai in C

Hi folks!

I'm currently trying to decide between UA and NH from LAX to PEK/PVG (open jaw).

I've done some searching but haven't found much on the following:

1) How does United C class compare to NH business New Style? (LAX/NRT)
2) How does United C class compare to NH business Club ANA Asia(NRT/PVG)
3) Ditto for food, service, entertainment

On the UA plus side is that the flights are a couple hours shorter and an all United award ticket allows changes in the return after departure. My guess is NH may wine on the above, but by how much - worth the extra hours BIS?

Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers
Beachfan
Old Dec 17, 2005, 8:47 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by beachfan
Hi folks!

I'm currently trying to decide between UA and NH from LAX to PEK/PVG (open jaw).

I've done some searching but haven't found much on the following:

1) How does United C class compare to NH business New Style? (LAX/NRT)
Don't know, never flown NH transpacific.
2) How does United C class compare to NH business Club ANA Asia(NRT/PVG)
3) Ditto for food, service, entertainment
I've flew NH between NRT and PVG in C in September. It wasn't all that impressive in C. NH usually beats UA in service. Seats and entertainment are slightly better on UA. I've never found NH's food to be very good.
On the UA plus side is that the flights are a couple hours shorter and an all United award ticket allows changes in the return after departure. My guess is NH may wine on the above, but by how much - worth the extra hours BIS?
I'd take whatever is quickest - I wouldn't go out of my way to fly NH NRT-PVG.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:15 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
My guess is NH may wine on the above, but by how much - worth the extra hours BIS?
At first I wanted to respond to your comment about NH "whining" about changing dates after departure. There would be no whining. Rules are rules and you couldn't change your dates!

However, I believe now you meant "win."
NH will of course take service and likely entertainment.
I've always liked the UA C seats. The 777-300 will have Newstyle which is a nice seat too, however the inclined "flat" seat is more marketing than functional. You will slide unles you wear your velcro pants!

Shorter flights? I'm sure you bean better connections. On an award flight (non-earning), when considering these two products, I would build the "shortest" confirmable routing If my dates were set and there was no changes. If changes were a possiblity, stick with UA if you can get confirmed in C.

Scho
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks for the clear and practical advice!

Yes, I meant "win".

By shorter flights, I meant that the BIS time is shorter. LAX/NRT is about the same as SFO/PVG or SFO/PEK, but LAX/SFO is shorter than NRT/PEK
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
How does United C class compare to NH business New Style? (LAX/NRT)
NH all the way. Only done NS F, but I visited C and have done enough UA C to know that NH will win on seat and catering and, at worst, should be equal on service (UA does have some darn fine trans-Pac crews).

How does United C class compare to NH business Club ANA Asia(NRT/PVG)
UA has better pitch (5") and probably better recline. However, NH does have 9" LCDs vs. about 5" on UA. And UA IFE is not AVOD. Again, catering should be better and service equal or better.

Ditto for food, service, entertainment
NH wins on catering and entertainment, and at worst ties UA for service.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:10 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Good Luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.