Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

U.S.-bound ANA plane returns to Tokyo after man bites cabin attendant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)

An All Nippon Airways plane bound for Seattle returned to Tokyo's Haneda airport early Wednesday after a passenger allegedly bit the arm of a cabin attendant.

The 55-year-old man, believed to be an American, was restrained by crew members before his arrest by Tokyo police at the airport on suspicion of causing injury to the cabin attendant.

The incident occurred Tuesday night as Flight 118 was over the Pacific.

The man has denied the allegation and was quoted by the police as saying he does not remember what happened as he had taken a sleeping pill.
https://japantoday.com/category/crim...abin-attendant
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:26 am
mjm
Original Member

Short flight, The new definition of "Circle Pacific"
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Hopefully Japan will keep him for a while and then send him back on a slow boat… after paying for the cost of the diversion to the airline and fellow passengers.
lsquare and appenzeller like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Another American ambien zombie....

I overheard a discussions in the AA IFL in London recently about who had the ambien for the flight, while they were chucking down the champers. Alcohol and ambien is just a recipe for disaster.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

I overheard a discussions in the AA IFL in London recently about who had the ambien for the flight, while they were chucking down the champers. Alcohol and ambien is just a recipe for disaster.
Fully agree, and yet when they behave badly in the air, it won't be their fault, despite the alcohol Ambien mix.

Reminds me of a flight I took a few years ago. I was deadheading home, and my seatmate popped an Ambien and downed two gin and tonics. He got smashed and created quite a scene. Even worse, it was a non-crewmember co-worker, who ended up getting fired because of it, despite blaming the Ambien.

Last edited by 757FO; Jan 17, 2024 at 9:07 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Originally Posted by 757FO
Fully agree, and yet when they behave badly in the air, it won't be their fault, despite the alcohol Ambien mix.

Reminds me of a flight I took a few years ago. I was deadheading home, and my seatmate popped an Ambien and downed two gin and tonics. He got smashed and created quite a scene. Even worse, it was a non-crewmember co-worker, who ended up getting fired because of it, despite blaming the Ambien.
I still have a few pills left from an ambien prescription that I got a few years ago having requested a sleeping aid for very rare (maybe once a year) cases when I need to force myself to sleep to resolve jet lag, etc. I don't really drink, and I had never heard of this kind of reaction from mixing the two substances, but now I'm kind of curious to see if I'd wake up in police custody with no memory if I were to take one with alcohol. I just find it hard to believe that these people really don't remember.

Also
The man has denied the allegation and was quoted by the police as saying he does not remember what happened as he had taken a sleeping pill.

What standing do you have to deny any allegation if you say you don't remember anything? I think you've sealed your fate at that point.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I still have a few pills left from an ambien prescription that I got a few years ago having requested a sleeping aid for very rare (maybe once a year) cases when I need to force myself to sleep to resolve jet lag, etc. I don't really drink, and I had never heard of this kind of reaction from mixing the two substances, but now I'm kind of curious to see if I'd wake up in police custody with no memory if I were to take one with alcohol. I just find it hard to believe that these people really don't remember.

Also

What standing do you have to deny any allegation if you say you don't remember anything? I think you've sealed your fate at that point.
It is not a guaranteed side effect of combining ambien and alcohol, but it is a relatively well known side effect. Not being a medical doctor, I can't say with certainty but my understanding is that it is like a very extreme intoxication, meaning your control and recollection of your actions are more than just hazy. I would believe that fragments, bits and pieces are probably coming back to them.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
It is not a guaranteed side effect of combining ambien and alcohol, but it is a relatively well known side effect. Not being a medical doctor, I can't say with certainty but my understanding is that it is like a very extreme intoxication, meaning your control and recollection of your actions are more than just hazy. I would believe that fragments, bits and pieces are probably coming back to them.
So you're saying he won't be convicted of a crime?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:13 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Besides mixing with alcohol, under-dosing on Ambien can also create weird hallucinatory effects, putting the brain into delirious mode instead of sleep mode. It can be a dangerous drug.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
So you're saying he won't be convicted of a crime?
People driving under intoxication can be convicted of crimes, somehow I would assume that people biting flight attendants while under intoxication can as well. But I am not a lawyer, so I was not making a point about the case, only that the side effects of the combination is pretty well known and documented.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.