Wiki Posts
Search

ANA vs. JAL B787 business class SFO-NRT/HND

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2023, 5:19 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by cdl1012
october 29 or so
Thank you very much -I'm hoping to keep my F seat on JL by changing to 3 days earlier! Without you I wouldn't have known about the downguage on an award ticket I had - even the airline (AS) didn't know until I told them! Waiting to hear.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 2:09 pm

Programs: Southwest gave me drink coupons once
Originally Posted by estnet
Thank you very much -I'm hoping to keep my F seat on JL by changing to 3 days earlier! Without you I wouldn't have known about the downguage on an award ticket I had - even the airline (AS) didn't know until I told them! Waiting to hear.
they officially announced their winter schedule today and it’s confirmed no 777 out of SFO or LAX after October 28/29 I forget the exact date.

oh and this is for ANA. Sorry if you were looking for JAL info

edit: Looks like JAL also switches to 787 on sfo/tokyo flights starting oct 28/29
estnet likes this.

Last edited by cdl1012; Aug 22, 2023 at 2:32 pm
Old Aug 22, 2023, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've flown both - JAL's seat is a little dated, but very competitive and if you can book the 777 and get into the mini-cabin, it's very private at the window, like a F suite on other airlines. ANA's older seats are also showing their age, but provide a little more space with less privacy.

In flight service, well Japan is Japan, so both airlines are stellar in the service area - however - when it comes to food and beverage, I put JAL waaaayyy ahead of ANA in terms of variety, quality and quite frankly, quantity, especially when you consider the midflight snack menu which is extensive, varied, and you can order anything and as much as you want directly from the IFR controller. It's like being trapped in one of SF's best Japanese restaurants with nothing to do except watch movies and order more food. I almost had to be wheeled off my two JAL longhaul segments and upon arrival at NRT, I went into the lounge and was still so stuffed from the flight, I looked at the buffet and just walked away - I couldn't do one more bite of anything.
Absolutely. My ANA J class meals and snacks are quite disappointing. The Japanese breakfast side dish is a few pieces of salty jello and tofu, the main course is 1 square inch of fish fillet and rice (see my other post with photos about ANA onboard meals)

Last edited by Mama; Aug 23, 2023 at 4:59 am
Old Aug 22, 2023, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
they officially announced their winter schedule today and it’s confirmed no 777 out of SFO or LAX after October 28/29 I forget the exact date.

edit: Looks like JAL also switches to 787 on sfo/tokyo flights starting oct 28/29
JAL only change SFO to 787 until the A350-1000 starts on HND JFK, then it reverts to 77W. Since the second LHR rotation switches to 77W as well in the winter schedule they are short of 77Ws until some are freed up from JFK.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

Yes, and because of you my F award flight on Nov 1 was changed to business- when I called AS they didn't know but after i spent 30 minutes explaining and asked for my flight to be moved up to the 28th in F and got the partner desk to ask JL to open a F seat on Oct 28 - I got confirmation today that they did - so 3 more days for me in Japan! AS was very confused so thank you for making me aware of this!
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: Southwest gave me drink coupons once
Well glad that worked out
estnet likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 7:29 pm

Programs: Krisflyer

Gonna call cap on this.

NH is using the 777 out of SFO in Dec with the older non-Room
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by truncated

As for soft product agree that JL > NH — catering on JL (both Western and Japanese) is a step above NH I think. However at SFO assuming you're not on the midnight NH departure the daytime NH flights do get the Polaris lounge...
what did you mean by the midnight flight not having Polaris access? I have a midnight flight but I am planning on getting my boarding pass early in the day during the morning flight check in so I can have access to the Polaris lounge way before it closes at 10:30pm. Will this plan work?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Edmund Cruz
what did you mean by the midnight flight not having Polaris access? I have a midnight flight but I am planning on getting my boarding pass early in the day during the morning flight check in so I can have access to the Polaris lounge way before it closes at 10:30pm. Will this plan work?
Not guaranteed, but to the extent that ANA will check you in while the check in for the Narita flight is open then yes. Japanese airline and not going by the book, you don't quite know.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 11:59 pm

Ahh the Japanese by the book standard. You are absolutely right that it could foil my plans. If anything, I’m hoping online check in will grant me my boarding pass.

So excited to enjoy this red eye flight. Will be my first time on ANA business. and First timer on a non-United international business class seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.