Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket name change workaround...?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Ticket name change workaround...?

I booked an around the world trip on different airlines (not as one ticket - I booked every segment separately). All tickets are in Business. I made the booking almost a year ago for me and my wife, but meanwhile, we got divorced. Obviously, I don't want to take my ex on the trip, but since I now have a girlfriend, I would definitely like to take her... and wondered what I can do about this. I paid more than 10k/per person for the tickets in total. Since then, ticket prices increased significantly, so if I would have to buy brand new ones for my gf, that would probably be in the range of 20k... not good. All tickets for me and my ex are on the same PNRs. One of the tickets (HNL-NRT) is on ANA. My ideas:

1. Ticket name change - I am almost sure this is not allowed.

2. Get a refund for my ex's ticket and buy a new ticket for gf. Problem is that usually refunds are in flight credit only usable for the same person (no name change allowed).

3. Buy a Y ticket for my gf and once on the flight, move her to the empty seat in business (which I've paid for but my ex will obviously be a no-show if the ticket isn't cancelled in advance, so the seat should be empty. I just don't know if flight attendants will allow this or not.

Any input on the above ideas, or any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by EU-US
3. Buy a Y ticket for my gf and once on the flight, move her to the empty seat in business (which I've paid for but my ex will obviously be a no-show if the ticket isn't cancelled in advance, so the seat should be empty. I just don't know if flight attendants will allow this or not.
I can only speculate on the other ones, but this one 100% will not work, AFAIK, on any airline. That "empty" seat in business won't be empty for long (upgrade, nonrev, etc.), and even if it was, it wouldn't be yours to take. The ticket & seat are forfeited once the ex fails to show, so even though you've paid for it, it no longer belongs to you (or your ex).

As for the name change/refund, check the fare rules. If it can be refunded (not travel credit) with a fee, take that option. It'll probably be a few hundred bucks per ticket. You can also call up and ask, "hey, we divorced and the ex is no longer traveling. What are my options?" It may involve sending in copies of your papers, but it's worth a shot.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tennen
I can only speculate on the other ones, but this one 100% will not work, AFAIK, on any airline. That "empty" seat in business won't be empty for long (upgrade, nonrev, etc.), and even if it was, it wouldn't be yours to take. The ticket & seat are forfeited once the ex fails to show, so even though you've paid for it, it no longer belongs to you (or your ex).

As for the name change/refund, check the fare rules. If it can be refunded (not travel credit) with a fee, take that option. It'll probably be a few hundred bucks per ticket. You can also call up and ask, "hey, we divorced and the ex is no longer traveling. What are my options?" It may involve sending in copies of your papers, but it's worth a shot.
Thank you!
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:50 am
Original Poster

OK, still exploring my options... one idea I had is to upgrade the ticket to a fully refundable one by paying the difference, and then get a refund on the upgraded ticket. Is this possible?
Old Mar 23, 2023, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by EU-US
OK, still exploring my options... one idea I had is to upgrade the ticket to a fully refundable one by paying the difference, and then get a refund on the upgraded ticket. Is this possible?
Generally, the original fare portion that was non refundable remains non refundable
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Generally, the original fare portion that was non refundable remains non refundable
Damn... These airlines know how to close all loopholes in their own interest...
Old Mar 29, 2023, 3:06 am
Original Poster

On a different but related note... I can't seem to be doing anything to my flight on ANA's website (https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/). It takes forever to pull up my flight and even when it does, it invariably gets stuck with a never ending progress indicator trying to change seats, etc. What's the magic trick to make their site work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.