Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What time are award seats released?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 12:55 am

What I don't understand with ANA's website is how you even grab a flight the day they are released. You have to select a return flight, so if you try to nab a flight the day it is released, you can't because there are no return flights to select. If you wait a day for a return flight to pop up (which you can then change later), everything is waitlisted. It's extremely frustrating.
not2017 and desafino like this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Does anyone know if they increase the amount of award seats available from US to TYO routes and when they do? For example, I am only seeing 1 biz award seat released for IAD to HND routes next summer. I thought they usually release 2 award seats?
not2017 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
When will ANA allow one-way awards?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:45 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Possibly never.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Have you considered using Virgin points for a one way?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
As I understand it you can only use Virigin miles 331 days out so that's 24 days after ANA releases award seats. Any experience with getting F seats 331 days out using Virgin? Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by wripro
As I understand it you can only use Virigin miles 331 days out so that's 24 days after ANA releases award seats. Any experience with getting F seats 331 days out using Virgin? Thanks.
Yes I had 2 separate flights with 2 passengers on F seats for September 2020 and September 2021. Unfortunately they both got cancelled as we could not travel to japan but with next year most likely opening up, there’s probably a 0% chance to fly 331 days out from today on F or J.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: Chase, Amex, SWA, UAL, DAL
I looked out of curiosity and United says there's 2 seats in F on Sep 8 from SFO to Tokyo (I forget which airport, though).

It may well be gone by the time you read this, though!

A few weeks ago, I was trying to extend my reservation on ANA and I found that it seemed like seats weren't getting released until like 3 or 5 pm Tokyo time (= 11pm or 1am SF). But I had Sep 1-13 and was able to grow it by a day every night except for Sep 18 and 19 which were gone by the time they were even visible in the tool. I noticed that it seemed like you could look up award availability for a new reservation an hour or two before you can look it up for a flight change.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Fengo
Yeah it's 9 Tokyo time BUT you have to be using the Japanese version of the site.
When I try to use the Japanese version of the site, it lets me go all the way to the end up until checkout, but after I put my credit card information in and try to pay, it won't let me (it just bounces me back to the payment page again). Is this because the Japanese site can't process/blocks American credit cards, or something with currency conversion not working?

Last edited by slowreactor; May 28, 2022 at 9:47 pm Reason: adding something
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pgsanta
What I don't understand with ANA's website is how you even grab a flight the day they are released. You have to select a return flight, so if you try to nab a flight the day it is released, you can't because there are no return flights to select. If you wait a day for a return flight to pop up (which you can then change later), everything is waitlisted. It's extremely frustrating.
Did you ever find an answer to this? Or find a workaround? Currently dealing with this as well .
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Fengo
Did you ever find an answer to this? Or find a workaround? Currently dealing with this as well .
You basically just have to wait until you can book a return flight (even if it's the next day). ANA allows you to change the reservation once without incurring a feee, so you reserve the departure flight, immediately reserve any return flight that is available, wait for your desired return flight to pop up (350 days out), and then change the return flight reservation to your desired date.

It's a ridiculously convoluted process.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
You basically just have to wait until you can book a return flight (even if it's the next day). ANA allows you to change the reservation once without incurring a feee, so you reserve the departure flight, immediately reserve any return flight that is available, wait for your desired return flight to pop up (350 days out), and then change the return flight reservation to your desired date.

It's a ridiculously convoluted process.
Only one no-fee change allowed? Can you change for a fee after that or are there no more changes allowed?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by mtimmer
Only one no-fee change allowed? Can you change for a fee after that or are there no more changes allowed?
I think it might actually be two, because I did two changes and they didn't charge me. I know they stipulate some limit, but maybe the agents have some discretion.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:31 am

I think it might actually be two, because I did two changes and they didn't charge me. I know they stipulate some limit, but maybe the agents have some discretion.
Can you change classes for the return flight? Like let’s say I book premium economy outbound, could I book business return (assuming I can score a seat)?
Also, what if I am in the waitlist outbound but score a seat on the return… do I just, not go if the waitlist doesn’t clear? Thank you!
Old Sep 4, 2022, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by seaspray218
Can you change classes for the return flight? Like let’s say I book premium economy outbound, could I book business return (assuming I can score a seat)?
Also, what if I am in the waitlist outbound but score a seat on the return… do I just, not go if the waitlist doesn’t clear? Thank you!
No change of class once the ticket is issued. If one leg of does not clear the wait list, the ticket will not be issued, and any booked legs will be cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.