Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award cancellation fee?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Award cancellation fee?

If I book with points transferred from my AmEx card, and then I have to cancel the trip (this would be a partner award, so not ANA metal), what happens to the points? Is there a way to get them back and pay a fee? If so, how much?
Old May 9, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If you mean back to your AMC account, the yes they will be returned when you cancel the flight. Or if the flight is cancelled.

If you mean back to AMEX I believe the answer is no.
Old May 9, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC Sapphire, Asiana Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Hyatt Globalist
To be clear, you don’t get all of them back. The cancellation fee is 3000 miles.
flyerfirsts likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:06 am

I understand that changes to award tickets are free (vs 3000 miles for cancellation).

If I had to change a traveler + modify the itinerary for a flight, would ANA process that as a change, or would I need to cancel the entire ticket (and pay 3000 miles)?

Thanks!
Old May 12, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you mean back to your AMC account, the yes they will be returned when you cancel the flight. Or if the flight is cancelled.

If you mean back to AMEX I believe the answer is no.
Correct and I think there is a 3000 cancellation fee if you cancel (changes are free).
Old May 12, 2021, 9:16 pm

I just called and cancelled an award flight tonight with ANA. If the DATES change (but the airports do not) you can process it as a change, and there is no fee. If you want to change the airports or name on the reservation, it will need to be cancelled at a cost of 3000 miles per person. The points refunded in minutes.

I did learn you can "split" a reservation if you have more than 1 person flying. For example, P1 keeps existing itinerary and P2 moves it up by 2 weeks. You would not need to pay the 3000 mile fee (but you would have to pay any difference in taxes/fees which would be unlikely, since you can't change your airports on a change).
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What about taxes and fees? Do you get those back with a cancellation?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:29 pm

Yes. I've had to cancel and rebook this reservation twice, and each time the taxes and fees were returned within 3 days.
Graciecatt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.