Search

Connecting through NRT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Connecting through NRT

Hello all,

I am assuming the answer is no but I want to confirm this. If I were to fly in on an NH F mileage ticket, and make a same day (3 hour transit) connecting to a Star Alliance paid business class ticket on Air NZ to Auckland, I assume this would not be allowed? I will have checked luggage but under normal circumstance NH could easily look up the PNR and interline the bags-with Covid I am not sure. FWIW, they both leave from T1. (And yes I do have the Visa for NZ).

Thank you,
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It is getting more complicated. Generally yes, it is possible. However NH may see you as a passenger with a ticket ending in Japan, the system certainly will see it that way until you are at the airport.

Currently, the number of passengers arriving in Japan per day is restricted. So you may find that seats are not available on a ticket ending in Japan, yet connections are available.

NH is normally very good at checking luggage through across tickets. Though it is an added complication, as it is not a stated policy.

So, it is possible. Though there are a lot of risks that could mean you will not fly. I would definitely not do it with checked luggage. And probably prefer to have a single ticket. 3 hours is on the short side for an unprotected connection, even in normal times.
DLATL777 and 24left like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:45 am
Original Poster

The best part is that I spoke to ANA via email about this and got an incredibly vague, useless reply. The reply clearly indicated they want to take zero responsibility for this transfer and basically gave me a 50/50 shot with zero reassurances it would work and in no way offered to help. So, I guess its off the table.

ANA does interline agreement with NZ.
While the passenger is holding two separate tickets, through check-in and/or through bags may or may not be possible
due to sometimes airport check-in system limitation. If so, the passenger may have to go through custom and immigration
as it's considered arrival into Japan. As of now, due to Covid-19 there might have limitation to some Nationality.
We do recommend to check most updated information from the embassy/consulate.

Lol-gee THANKS guys
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
This is definitely the complication that CPH-Flyer mentioned. There is no explicit policy that they guarantee interlining across separate tickets when there's an agreement, as there can always be complications. This is also why they will not promise via customer service channels to interline when asked if they can/will do it. The only response you'll get is "we'll do our best, but no promises" since even if they try, there's no guarantee that they can.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. No airline will take any responsibility for such a plan.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Whatever ANA says, if it's not on the same ticket, there's no guarantee. Unless they tag it for Auckland, it's not going to Auckland. So you might have to do this the hard way. And three hours is cutting it close. Air New Zealand wants pax checked in 90-120 minutes before departure. Even if you clear customs quickly, you're not necessarily going to be spared a Home Alone-style mad dash. And if you miss your flight, Air New Zealand isn't obliged to help you.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. No airline will take any responsibility for such a plan.
Was looking more along the lines of "we will cross reference the Air NZ PNR and make notations of the connection but no promises" which is by NO means an unrealistic expectation. The message of "meh" was very half ....

Well aware of the risks of separate tickets regarding connections-you will notice I did NOT ask what would happen if I misconnected cause that ones on me.

In any respect Im going via SIN and SQ so all is well. Was just hoping to throw in some F time.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Was looking more along the lines of "we will cross reference the Air NZ PNR and make notations of the connection but no promises" which is by NO means an unrealistic expectation. The message of "meh" was very half ....

Well aware of the risks of separate tickets regarding connections-you will notice I did NOT ask what would happen if I misconnected cause that ones on me.

In any respect Im going via SIN and SQ so all is well. Was just hoping to throw in some F time.
That's the thing with Japanese organisations, they are very by the book. And this is what the book says, it is possible, but there are no guarantees. That's what they convey, nothing more nothing less. Would you prefer getting a vague you run the risk answer, or a "it is probably almost possible" answer for the day where it actually fails? I think they would get more complaints on the latter.
​​​​​

DLATL777 and 24left like this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 5, 2021 at 5:38 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:36 pm

it's japan/ANA

expectation from them = by the book
24left likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
[QUOTE=DLATL777;33152029.... (And yes I do have the Visa for NZ).[/QUOTE]

Visa is one thing, MIQ space is another... this is way too risky considering the restrictions of getting into NZ.

I'm a Kiwi trying to get back for mid-August from NYC. It's rough between airline schedules, MIQ space, reliable airlines, and high/nonexistent award space!
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosfet
Visa is one thing, MIQ space is another... this is way too risky considering the restrictions of getting into NZ.

I'm a Kiwi trying to get back for mid-August from NYC. It's rough between airline schedules, MIQ space, reliable airlines, and high/nonexistent award space!
Tell me about it. Though if you misconnect while in route they will get you a space. They have emergency allocation-can read about it on the Facebook groups.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<snip>
In any respect I'm going via SIN and SQ so all is well. Was just hoping to throw in some F time.
SQ fly into CHC a few times a week as well as AKL.
Closer to where in NZ I think DLATL777 is going to
DLATL777 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Tell me about it. Though if you misconnect while in route they will get you a space. They have emergency allocation-can read about it on the Facebook groups.
Single ticket yes, MIQ would tell you tough luck if you in a missed connection on two separate tickets. Same as missing your flight!

SQ award space isn’t brilliant either huh...

Did you see the announcement today the 40% or so of MIQ space now not needed for Trans Tasman bubble will not be put back into the pool. It’s being held as emergency for another lockdown. Was hoping that would make life a touch easier.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosfet
Single ticket yes, MIQ would tell you tough luck if you in a missed connection on two separate tickets. Same as missing your flight!

SQ award space isn’t brilliant either huh...

Did you see the announcement today the 40% or so of MIQ space now not needed for Trans Tasman bubble will not be put back into the pool. It’s being held as emergency for another lockdown. Was hoping that would make life a touch easier.
For whatever reason SQ blocks AKL from the US. You can find space on USA-SIN and SIN-AKL (sometimes) but no chance USA-AKL. I have to fly to Dubai first, then you can easily get space DXB-SIN-AKL.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Circling back to the posts I used for reference when planning this. As of today, ANA will still allow transits in NRT on separate tickets and will through check on Star Alliance partners even if you’re inadmissible to Japan.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Interesting - I am planning to book LHR-HND-FRA in ANA F as award for fun with 12 hours in HND for transit. Hope this goes smoothly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.