Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

In-Cabin Pet from JPN to USA on ANA during COVID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Due to a COVID, a good number of airlines suspended their Pet Transportation Service at this time. We searched high and low and discovered that ANA is stilly accepting a Pet transportation service from Japan to USA. I believe both “in-cabin” and “cargo”. Now, this is not finalized plan but there is a chance that our family might want to take the family dog from Japan back to USA. The size of dog is categorized small (so, on a domestic flight, it should fit under the seat/in-cabin). But for a long-haul transpacific flight, it seems super long hours to be contained under the seat (we know that in-cabin pet cannot be taken out of the crate/bag).

Can a passenger carry on a small dog? It will be non-stop direct flight of approx 12 hrs. We are a dog family, so I wont mind finding a dog in a next seat, but we can understand that some passengers are not so tolerant. First of all, did any of you guys “carry-on” your small dog on a transpacific flight (on any metal, not just ANA)? Most of “in-cabin” pet transport episode I find online are for a relatively short flight (less than 5 hrs). Just trying to find out as much information as possible. Thank you.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by msiamsia
...discovered that ANA is stilly accepting a Pet transportation service from Japan to USA. I believe both “in-cabin” and “cargo”.
Are you sure that ANA allows in-cabin transport of pets on their international flights? ANA website states on their Flying with Animals section:

"All pets will travel in the area of the plane, not in the cabin of international flights."

I know, the statement in English looks as not written by native English speaker. I also looked at Japanese sites (when working with Japanese companies what said in Japanese is often more accurate than what said in English), it says:

ANA運航便では、飼い主と同じ便で移動する場合に、貨物室預かりとしてペットを受付をしております 。」

which also states that pets are transported in cargo holds. If I were you, I will check with ANA to make sure of their pet policies.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I believe ANA stopped allowing in-cabin pets in the mid-2000s.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Are you sure that ANA allows in-cabin transport of pets on their international flights? ANA website states on their Flying with Animals section:

"All pets will travel in the area of the plane, not in the cabin of international flights."

I know, the statement in English looks as not written by native English speaker. I also looked at Japanese sites (when working with Japanese companies what said in Japanese is often more accurate than what said in English), it says:

ANA運航便では、飼い主と同じ便で移動する場合に、貨物室預かりとしてペットを受付をしております 。」

which also states that pets are transported in cargo holds. If I were you, I will check with ANA to make sure of their pet policies.
Even for Japan, that is pretty poor English ANA has there. However, looking at the flight conditions in the same link, it is pretty clear that pets flies as belly cargo on the flight.

After check-in, your pet will be held in an air-conditioned room before making his or her way to the cargo room, located underneath the customer cabin. The cargo room’s temperature is kept the same as the customer cabin. In the cargo room, your pet will experience the following conditions.
  • The lights will be off, and the room will be dark.
  • The cargo room is air-conditioned and has humidity control, but outside temperatures may affect the cargo room’s environment in a way that differs from the customer cabin.
    • The cargo room might become hot in the summer due to high temperatures outside and reflected heat from the tarmac.
    • Your pet will be in an open-air environment during the loading and unloading processes, so there may be significant temperature and humidity changes during both summer and winter.
There is even a report of pet fatalities on ANA, but as they don't report the total number of transported pets, is is not really meaningful. But not a frequent occurrence.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-i...pet-mortality/
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
I believe ANA stopped allowing in-cabin pets in the mid-2000s.
Correct. They did allow ESA’s in the cabin as recently as 2-3 years ago. I’m not sure about these days though.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. I quickly discovered that ANA or JAL do not permit “in-cabin” pet transport over transpacific/transatlantic/international route. So, No, I won’t be able to bring family dog with me in-cabin. Darn...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.