Wiki Posts
Search

NRT Transit on two NH tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AS 75k
NRT Transit on two NH tickets

I am going to be returning home from Jakarta in January, but I am running into a question that normally wouldnt be an issue.

A long time ago (pre-covid) I booked a flight in First Class NRT-JFK on NH10 on VS ticket stock. To get to NRT I am looking to buy a second ticket on NH836 CGK-NRT so I can keep it connecting NH to NH on the same day, but I am worried about being denied boarding in Jakarta since I cant actually enter Japan legally.

Normally flying from Jakarta to Tokyo on a US passport I would have no problem being able to self connect on two tickets, but obviously now things arent exactly normal. Has anyone had any experience lately connecting on two tickets in Narita?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: United Mileageplus
I would call NH to see if baggage rechecking is necessary. AFAIK, transit passengers aren’t allowed to recheck bags as that would require leaving the transit area, but call NH to be sure.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Since you don’t have a connection with two tickets you face the possibility of being denied boarding in CGK if you are currently not admissible to your destination (Japan), as you point out. You may find a sympathetic agent but strictly speaking this is risky. There is of course also the usual problem of leaving a lot of time between flights on separate tickets.

Welcome to FT!
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pizzapanda
I would call NH to see if baggage rechecking is necessary. AFAIK, transit passengers aren’t allowed to recheck bags as that would require leaving the transit area, but call NH to be sure.
Going to be flying hand luggage only, so thankfully re-checking bags shouldnt be an issue. I did end up calling NH and talked to an incredible agent that actually called the station in CGK and asked them about my situation and then she called me back! They said it shouldnt be an issue, linked my reservations (not sure how much that is worth), and put notes in it. Thanks for the advice to call them!

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Since you don’t have a connection with two tickets you face the possibility of being denied boarding in CGK if you are currently not admissible to your destination (Japan), as you point out. You may find a sympathetic agent but strictly speaking this is risky. There is of course also the usual problem of leaving a lot of time between flights on separate tickets.

Welcome to FT!
Definitely a risk, and one in normal times I have done many times before with nested/multiple tickets but these arent exactly normal times so I wasnt exactly sure what to expect. I think I am going to try it, and have a back up plan of another miles ticket a couple days later if things dont go well. Also appreciate the welcome, I suppose it must be some kind of record to have an account and follow the boards for 8 years before a search couldnt answer my questions. haha!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: Mileage Plan, Mileage Plus
I did this recently flying from SIN through HND, and HND to YVR, the latter on an award ticket in business through Virgin. I had purchased SIN to HND in Y, just a couple of days prior to departure. 15 hour layover in HND. No problems at check-in. Two months earlier I had flown LAX to NRT and NRT to SIN on 2 separate ANA business award tickets (also through Virgin). Seamless and problem free. You have to ensure that your connection in HND or NRT occur on the same day.
pizzapanda likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pizzapanda
Im going to be hand luggage only, but when I called NH they said the same thing, so probably best anyway to not have any checked luggage.

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Welcome to FT!
Called the agents, and they ended up calling the station in CGK. When talking to the station manager there they said it shouldnt be a problem to connect on two tickets and that they put a note in both reservations that they are connected. So hopefully it all works out. I have a Delta award ticket as a back up thats ticketed to home on one ticket all the way home, but thats in Y instead of NH F so a step down.

Also thanks for the welcome! Finally after 8 years of reading the forums i had a question that I couldnt search and find the answer to!

Originally Posted by benkchua
I did this recently flying from SIN through HND, and HND to YVR, the latter on an award ticket in business through Virgin. I had purchased SIN to HND in Y, just a couple of days prior to departure. 15 hour layover in HND. No problems at check-in. Two months earlier I had flown LAX to NRT and NRT to SIN on 2 separate ANA business award tickets (also through Virgin). Seamless and problem free. You have to ensure that your connection in HND or NRT occur on the same day.
Good to know that it worked out for you! Im hoping that mine is just as seamless. Im going to have lifemiles ticket connecting to a Virgin ticket, so Im hoping for no issues. Ive done plenty of multi-ticket trips like this, and always left plenty of time between tickets and connected in places that allow me to enter, but covid throwing wrenches into plans that were made long before covid was an issue.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.