Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award availability in F

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 7:21 pm

ANA now only releasing one seat in F?

Hi all,

longtime reader, first time poster. Wondering if anyone has any insight on something I just noticed. Have been monitoring NH F award space for next year, USA-TYO, and as recently as a couple of weeks ago, it seemed to be the usual pattern. Namely, 2 and occasionally 3 seats in F available with some regularity from ORD-HND, plus a smattering of availability on other routes such as IAD, SFO, and occasionally flights to NRT from US gateways as well.

as of the past week or so, however, it seems like no matter which US gateway one searches, and no matter what dates, there is never more than one F seat available, although multiple gateways have 2 J seats available.

does anyone know what’s going on here? Has NH perhaps changed their philosophy on which seats are released far in advance?

(bottom line, I’m looking to book for 2 travelers in April 2021 and unsure whether to give up and book J seats while they’re still out there, or hold out in case F for 2 has a chance of reappearing.)

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
not2017 likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Why not take what you can get now and then try to upgrade if F opens up later on?
At least you are then assured of getting where you want to go.
I have no idea pertaining to the philosophy of ANA regarding the release of F awards.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jakezim
Hi all,

longtime reader, first time poster. Wondering if anyone has any insight on something I just noticed. Have been monitoring NH F award space for next year, USA-TYO, and as recently as a couple of weeks ago, it seemed to be the usual pattern. Namely, 2 and occasionally 3 seats in F available with some regularity from ORD-HND, plus a smattering of availability on other routes such as IAD, SFO, and occasionally flights to NRT from US gateways as well.

as of the past week or so, however, it seems like no matter which US gateway one searches, and no matter what dates, there is never more than one F seat available, although multiple gateways have 2 J seats available.

does anyone know what’s going on here? Has NH perhaps changed their philosophy on which seats are released far in advance?

(bottom line, I’m looking to book for 2 travelers in April 2021 and unsure whether to give up and book J seats while they’re still out there, or hold out in case F for 2 has a chance of reappearing.)

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
When we redeemed and flew in March, only one F seat showed up for redemption (via Lifemiles). So we booked 1 F, 2 J tickets. Although not ideal, that’s all the points I had, too.

I was the only one in F on the LAX-NRT segment.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:34 pm

Figured I’d report back in case it’s of interest or use to anyone else. After monitoring next year’s flights for a week and seeing the same pattern reported above, 24 hours ago things changed back to how they used to be. I again see 2 seats available in F on at least a handful of dates, where previously there was only 1. Was able to change my previously booked seats in J to F with little fuss. (Now I just need Virgin Atlantic to stay out of liquidation. But that’s another matter.)

Perhaps someone at NH is doing a little A/B testing with award availability right now. Anyway, if anybody else is looking for 2 seats next year, they’re back again. Hope this data is helpful to someone.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by jakezim
Figured I’d report back in case it’s of interest or use to anyone else. After monitoring next year’s flights for a week and seeing the same pattern reported above, 24 hours ago things changed back to how they used to be. I again see 2 seats available in F on at least a handful of dates, where previously there was only 1. Was able to change my previously booked seats in J to F with little fuss. (Now I just need Virgin Atlantic to stay out of liquidation. But that’s another matter.)

Perhaps someone at NH is doing a little A/B testing with award availability right now. Anyway, if anybody else is looking for 2 seats next year, they’re back again. Hope this data is helpful to someone.
thanks for pointing this out - I was able to consolidate my return flights in 04/2021 from both HND and NRT to SFO to just one flight now. Hopefully they are tweaking availability and I'll be able to do the same for the outbound flights as well.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:31 am

I'd been tracking and then booked a trip for next April: IAD-HND. I was able to get two seats in F on the same day ex-US, but as you noted there was only one seat available on return. For the flights I've been tracking, this does not seem to have changed recently. It may be that they are continuing this for certain routes or that they have not yet returned to prior practice for next April.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:23 am

Looking to try NH F from a European gateway, either FRA, LHR or MUC...trip would be in December with AV miles.
only thing is that AV change/cancellation fees are very high (only waived until for flights until October) and I want to be able to be flexible in rebooking. what if Japan doesn't allow arrivals even at the end of the year? Also Lifemiles redeposit takes about 2 weeks...want to have the flexibility to rebook something else last minute.
How is ANA about releasing last minute O or I class space from Europe?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
Looking to try NH F from a European gateway, either FRA, LHR or MUC...trip would be in December with AV miles.
only thing is that AV change/cancellation fees are very high (only waived until for flights until October) and I want to be able to be flexible in rebooking. what if Japan doesn't allow arrivals even at the end of the year? Also Lifemiles redeposit takes about 2 weeks...want to have the flexibility to rebook something else last minute.
How is ANA about releasing last minute O or I class space from Europe?
I guess it depends when in December. Before Dec 15th, probably more availability.

I find that searching today, for 3-14 days out will give you a rough idea. In searching for Asia-US flights I see the occasional NH F seat pop up. Only once have I seen 2 F seats listed.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I guess it depends when in December. Before Dec 15th, probably more availability.

I find that searching today, for 3-14 days out will give you a rough idea. In searching for Asia-US flights I see the occasional NH F seat pop up. Only once have I seen 2 F seats listed.
thanks for fast reply!
i guess no use worrying about it now, just take things one day at a time as things are changing constantly during these unprecedented times...hard to tell for F trends looking at FRA right now because its a Dreamliner and MUC has been suspended for now...LHR has quite good availability in I and O class in the next 2 weeks, so hopefully that trend continues for the next few months...or it could be just that the flights are so empty now that they release award inventory. who knows...
but would be great to be able to try new F or C out of LHR.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 3:11 pm

This is a long shot but if anyone has the following booked and ends up needing to give it up, please send me a message so I can try and grab it.

JFK to HND - Jun 6 2021
1 in First

Last edited by AbigailG; Aug 24, 2020 at 3:21 pm
Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
When we redeemed and flew in March, only one F seat showed up for redemption (via Lifemiles). So we booked 1 F, 2 J tickets. Although not ideal, that’s all the points I had, too.

I was the only one in F on the LAX-NRT segment.
Very lucky. These days, I doubt NH would honor an F award issued by Lifemiles.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Very lucky. These days, I doubt NH would honor an F award issued by Lifemiles.
Why not? I see NH F awards almost every week when checking for awards.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Originally Posted by AbigailG
This is a long shot but if anyone has the following booked and ends up needing to give it up, please send me a message so I can try and grab it.

JFK to HND - Jun 6 2021
1 in First
There is no guarantee that a cancelled award ticket will be again bookable as an award bcs it depends how the flight is booked at that time.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: Independent
Has anyone experienced ANA opening more seats once one is booked? E.g. if I book TYO-ORD now, what is the chance they add a second seat?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Why not? I see NH F awards almost every week when checking for awards.
Because LF hasn't been paying its partners for award ticktes so ANA would have no reason to honor an award F booking if LF won't pay them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.