Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F to Y connection, Check-in luggage priority?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
F to Y connection, Check-in luggage priority?

I don’t normally check luggage, so this is a new one for me.
I am flying F to NRT and then connect to Y.
If I check a luggage, will I get F tag all the way to my destination?
I no longer have a status on *A. Thanks.

Last edited by kkjay77; Sep 23, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kkjay77
I don’t normally check luggage, so this is a new one for me.
I am flying F to NRT and then connect to Y.
If I check a luggage, will I get F tag all the way to my destination?
I no longer have a status on *A. Thanks.
What is your connecting route, and is it on a single ticket?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Depending on what route you are flying, the F tag may make no difference. The way luggage systems work, these tags are pretty useless anyway and serve purely to massage the egos of their owners. The scanner reads the bar code of the luggage tag.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Depending on what route you are flying, the F tag may make no difference. The way luggage systems work, these tags are pretty useless anyway and serve purely to massage the egos of their owners. The scanner reads the bar code of the luggage tag.
Not at all a good take.

NH is excellent about luggage priority IME at HND/NRT, and thus I'd assume any other airports where they don't outsource (e.g., NH is not nearly as good at LAX).

More generally, if the airlines want to make the tags useful, they'll be useful - even when handling is outsourced. BR for example is very strict about luggage priority even at outstations. It's rare to see a bag out of order, and they have at least four separate luggage groups (J/top tier, *G/other elites, PE, Y).

Last edited by gengar; Sep 24, 2019 at 4:06 pm
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
What is your connecting route, and is it on a single ticket?
Yes, it is single ticket and my route is JFK-NRT-MNL.
JFK-NRT is in F (hoping for the Suite), and NRT-MNL is in Y as of now as there is no award space in business.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I had thought this was about where one could purchase luggage in Grozny.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
I had thought this was about where one could purchase luggage in Grozny.
My thought as well!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kkjay77
Yes, it is single ticket and my route is JFK-NRT-MNL.
JFK-NRT is in F (hoping for the Suite), and NRT-MNL is in Y as of now as there is no award space in business.
Then I am pretty sure that ANA will kepp the tag and priority for the duration of the trip.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
NH is excellent about luggage priority IME at HND/NRT, and thus I'd assume any other airports where they don't outsource (e.g., not nearly as good at LAX).

More generally, if the airlines want to make the tags useful, they'll be useful. BR for example is very strict about luggage priority even at outstations. It's rare to see a bag out of order, and they have at least four separate luggage tags.
Japan Airlines can make it work at any outstation. Even LAX and JFK. SGN, HAN, MNL, SGN also works perfectly fine for JAL. Always F (Emerald) tagged luggage first. It is really a matter of whether the airline wants it to work or not, nothing more.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Answer to OP question, yes, your F segment will give you benefits for the rest of your journey on a single ticket.
As to luggage handling,
I have worked in the back-end of several airports in Asia for JAL (the evil red empire!), and in simple terms,
the luggage coming out in order depends on whether the airline is hands-on with operations of their local GSA (Ground Services Agents).
JAL (and I expect ANA too) has a brigade of people (5 per flight) to manage the operations of local GSA.
handle luggage (3 people), passengers disembarking/transfer (1 person), and aircraft engineering (1 person).
The three handling luggage are as below. the first two people, if manning operations correctly, make sure the luggage comes out in order, and quickly.
1 person manning the luggage bins offload ->Ensures the priority bins come out first and loaded to carts headed for the belts
1 person manning the luggage belt loading ->Ensures that within the opened bins, higher priority tags get loaded onto the belts first (and also look out against thefts..)
1 person manning the luggage carousel at baggage claim ->Ensures that passengers are assisted, handles questions, directs pax with issues to the lost/damaged luggage service booth.

FYI, for cabin luggage (especially baby strollers and big music instruments), the purser liaises with the gate check-in staff to directly receive the luggage, ready at the gate for alighting pax.

The passengers disembarking/transfer (1 person), and aircraft engineering (1 person) dont deal with luggage.

Thats how JL does it, and i expect NH, BR and other respectable airlines too.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Answer to OP question, yes, your F segment will give you benefits for the rest of your journey on a single ticket.
Just to interject here, but would my itinerary cover that as well?

I have a paid F ticket (I don't have a frequent flyer number for JAL) from LA to MNL, with the LA to Tokyo segment in F and the Tokyo to MNL segment in J. On the way back I have a 3 day stop over in Tokyo and bought a different ticket for a domestic flight from NRT to CTS (5 hours after I arrive in NRT from MNL) for the weekend. I was already committed to getting my luggage upon arrival in NRT, but would I be able to check my luggage all the way to CTS despite being on 2 different tickets?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ETHFlyer
Just to interject here, but would my itinerary cover that as well?

I have a paid F ticket (I don't have a frequent flyer number for JAL) from LA to MNL, with the LA to Tokyo segment in F and the Tokyo to MNL segment in J. On the way back I have a 3 day stop over in Tokyo and bought a different ticket for a domestic flight from NRT to CTS (5 hours after I arrive in NRT from MNL) for the weekend. I was already committed to getting my luggage upon arrival in NRT, but would I be able to check my luggage all the way to CTS despite being on 2 different tickets?
JAL will be able to tag your bags through to CTS from Manila. As that flight is in J you will get a J tag on the bags. You will still need to reclaim your bags and recheck them in Narita as you will have to take them through customs at your entry point in to Japan. So while the tag will say CTS, nothing much will change in the practical flow at NRT.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Oct 1, 2019 at 6:45 am
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
@CPH-Flyer
Spot on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.