Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

NH will start charging for advance seat assignments, according to Japanese news

NH will start charging for advance seat assignments, according to Japanese news

Reply

Old Jun 8, 19, 6:53 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 神奈川県
Programs: Priority "IHG" Club Spiyah, JAL lolcrystal
Posts: 514
NH will start charging for advance seat assignments, according to Japanese news

Mrs. keihin_242 informed me of this today.

This is apparently applies to international flights. if I can find a news article or press release, I’ll post it.

Hey - did NH hire Jeff Smisek as their CEO? This is starting to sound like “changes we think you’ll enjoy.”

Last edited by keihin_242; Jun 8, 19 at 7:47 pm Reason: duplicate post
keihin_242 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:20 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SIN/BOS
Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Posts: 908
Originally Posted by keihin_242 View Post
Mrs. keihin_242 informed me of this today.

This is apparently applies to international flights. if I can find a news article or press release, I’ll post it.

Hey - did NH hire Jeff Smisek as their CEO? This is starting to sound like “changes we think you’ll enjoy.”
Press release was in April — https://www.ana.co.jp/group/en/pr/20...0190417-2.html

Basically seat selection for Q fares or higher remains free, while exit rows and windows and aisles in the front Y section are chargeable for those booked in V and below. According to the press release was supposed to kick in from May 29 for flights departing August 19 and later, but seems like it's been put on hold.

Frankly not surprised that they're doing this — even SQ is as well, and always found it odd that I could get exit rows for free at booking on a K/L fare...
truncated is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:24 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SIN/BOS
Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Posts: 908
Full rules and prices are here: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/servicei...ional_svc/asr/
Seems reasonable enough compared to other airlines (e.g. 5500 JPY/55 USD for exit rows and 2500 JPY/25 USD for windows/aisles for TPAC flights)

And notice at the top of the page does say it's suspended until further notice
truncated is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:47 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 神奈川県
Programs: Priority "IHG" Club Spiyah, JAL lolcrystal
Posts: 514
I think the further notice may have been today.
keihin_242 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 19, 12:49 pm
  #5  
mr8
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Posts: 525
What about codeshares flights on NH metal or *Gs?
I believe Oneworld AA/JL waive the fee for their alliance elites.
mr8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 19, 5:19 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 8,749
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
What about codeshares flights on NH metal or *Gs?
I believe Oneworld AA/JL waive the fee for their alliance elites.
JL has no fee, certain seats are just blocked for elite status, or sufficiently high booking class. AA has a fee for certain seats, BA charge for advance seat selection (even in some J booking classes) both waive the fees for elite status. (BA only fully free for OWE)
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 19, 5:05 pm
  #7  
mr8
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Posts: 525
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
JL has no fee, certain seats are just blocked for elite status, or sufficiently high booking class. AA has a fee for certain seats, BA charge for advance seat selection (even in some J booking classes) both waive the fees for elite status. (BA only fully free for OWE)
I don't fly AA much, but I thought that OneWorld Sapphire (or whatever the star alliance gold equivalent is) had complimentary access to AA's preferred seating, i.e. window/aisle.
Would hope star alliance could do something like that as well.

edit: https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits does list "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating" as one of their benefits.
mr8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 19, 5:26 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 8,749
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
JL has no fee, certain seats are just blocked for elite status, or sufficiently high booking class. AA has a fee for certain seats, BA charge for advance seat selection (even in some J booking classes) both waive the fees for elite status. (BA only fully free for OWE)
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
I don't fly AA much, but I thought that OneWorld Sapphire (or whatever the star alliance gold equivalent is) had complimentary access to AA's preferred seating, i.e. window/aisle.
Would hope star alliance could do something like that as well.

edit: https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits does list "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating" as one of their benefits.
As I wrote, AA does give elite status, actually already from OWR access to preferred seating. For BA it is only fully free from OWE; OWS and OWR gets free access closer to departure, but would meed to pay further out.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:20 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton-Dia, Marriott-G
Posts: 1,448
Originally Posted by keihin_242 View Post
I think the further notice may have been today.
I just made several reservations for travel in December 2019.
I was able to select seats with no extra charge.

However, subsequently, I asked a reservations agent on the phone (I called for an unrelated issue) and she said it's not been implemented yet because of a "web system error". She could not provide a date as to when it would eventually go into effect.
tide is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 19, 11:10 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD (BWI/IAD)
Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Alaska Mileage Plan, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Posts: 255
That's not very pro-consumer, even if SQ is doing it. If you've got a 3-3-3 economy class, you're looking at up to six people in that row paying an extra fee for those seats. Would the fee be automatically applied if booking as a UA codeshare, I wonder...
aresef is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 19, 5:32 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 8,749
Originally Posted by aresef View Post
That's not very pro-consumer, even if SQ is doing it. If you've got a 3-3-3 economy class, you're looking at up to six people in that row paying an extra fee for those seats. Would the fee be automatically applied if booking as a UA codeshare, I wonder...
You should visit the BA forum, they will defend BA's charge for advance seat selection in J as a good thing. The idea being that non frequent flyers will not pay, and thus frequent flyers booking last minute will still get a decent seat availability.

I do believe this could be managed by seat blocking for elite members, and not charging. But there it is.
royng likes this.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread