Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Moving to later flight if companion misconnects

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Hi. I'll be flying NH11 in F with my brother on the 19th. Due to issues with award space, we're connecting from YYZ to ORD on two different flights, although they both leave and arrive within 15min of each other. However, there's always the chance that one is catastrophically delayed and the other is not. That actually happened with those flights today for the first time since I started monitoring their reliability a couple months ago.

Would ANA be willing to bump us both to NH111 later in the day assuming available F space if only one of us misconnects and the other person who makes it to ORD on time explains the situation? The bookings are on different PNRs but we have the same last name. Is there something I could potentially do to call and have them "link" the PNRs to have this happen automatically?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: Hilton (D)
If you both make NH 11 on Friday, give me a shout in J, 5A, right behind F. I too saw my inbound flight canceled yesterday. I hope all the wx issues resolve in 4 days.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Would ANA be willing to bump us both to NH111 later in the day assuming available F space if only one of us misconnects and the other person who makes it to ORD on time explains the situation? The bookings are on different PNRs but we have the same last name. Is there something I could potentially do to call and have them "link" the PNRs to have this happen automatically?
Unfortunately, nothing you can do besides some prayer.
ANA will not be obligated/willing to change a ticket when they dont need to.
Especially if you are not an ANA elite, and the ticket itself isn't even ticketed on ANA stock (using ANA miles).

Your best bet is to pad the connection with enough hours to make sure you both do not mis-connect. (i.e. overnight in Chicago before your ANA flight.)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Are these tickets booked using ANA miles, from the same ANA account?
Only way I can think of ANA actually being sympathetic to your cause should only one misconnect is if the miles both come from the same ANA account, something that could act as evidence that you are "traveling together".
Maybe then, the ORD station manager will be open/willing to use their powers to rebook and reticket the passenger NOT AFFECTED by a misconnect.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be sure to call ANA well in advance of your trip to ask the agent to "link" (cross reference) the two PNRs.

Do you know whether the later flight has two FC seats? Or would the two of you prefer to travel together in J if necessary?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be sure to call ANA well in advance of your trip to ask the agent to "link" (cross reference) the two PNRs.

Do you know whether the later flight has two FC seats? Or would the two of you prefer to travel together in J if necessary?
Later flight has lots of F seats open.
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Are these tickets booked using ANA miles, from the same ANA account?
Only way I can think of ANA actually being sympathetic to your cause should only one misconnect is if the miles both come from the same ANA account, something that could act as evidence that you are "traveling together".
Maybe then, the ORD station manager will be open/willing to use their powers to rebook and reticket the passenger NOT AFFECTED by a misconnect.
​​​​​​​They're not booked with ANA miles at all.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Later flight has lots of F seats open.

They're not booked with ANA miles at all.
​​​​​​​Revenue F seats, or award F seats? Revenue F seats don't automatically become award F.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Revenue F seats, or award F seats? Revenue F seats don't automatically become award F.
Not award F. Is that really relevant though? They would accommodate at least the passenger who misconnects regardless of award space right? I suppose we'd have to fight with the arriving carriers about that though, not NH.

In fact given that, I guess there's no point in discussing what NH may/may not do. Gonna just have to play it by ear. Thanks to everyone for the responses.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Not award F. Is that really relevant though? They would accommodate at least the passenger who misconnects regardless of award space right? I suppose we'd have to fight with the arriving carriers about that though, not NH.

In fact given that, I guess there's no point in discussing what NH may/may not do. Gonna just have to play it by ear. Thanks to everyone for the responses.
For the passenger missing the connection, no it will not matter whether seats are award or revenue, for the passenger who can make the connections, it will matter
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

If you don't have award tickets, note that many FC fares are fully flexible so you would be able to change easily just by asking if FC seats are being sold in the same fare class on the new flight and with a payment of the fare difference otherwise. However, if the passenger making the voluntary change (not affected by IROPs) had been ticketed by an OLTA, the airline might insist that the original TA make the change. If you have some bulk or consolidator fare, it will also be more difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.