Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Cash upgrade to Domestic Premium Class: what fare basis?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:06 am
Original Poster

What fare basis (miles/points multiplier) does your domestic ticket become when you upgrade with cash at check-in? Does the original booking class matter?

Last year, when I upgraded this way to Y fare domestic economy to Premium Class, these became 150% multiplier but no 400 premium point boarding. (So I guess this was "Fares 9" in the simulator.) But this week, I paid at check in to upgrade a K fare domestic to Premium Class, and I only ended up with an S class according to my ANA account and 80% miles.

So, I asked at the Diamond help desk in CTS lounge. After the agent called to check, she told me that the cash payment upgrade at check in adds 50% of the original basis, so in this case it would be K class 30% + 50% = 80%. This matches what I earned on the flight--but it does not match any of the 13 domestic fare classes. Strange.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:20 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Your original domestic fare type matters — what was it? (e.g. Business Kippu, Super Value 21, Flex, etc.)
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:58 am
Original Poster

My original booking class was K = Fares 13 category (Explore Japan Super Value, something like that). Interesting that it works this way, good to know.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:50 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Yes, as you found out the original fare basis determines the “base” to which the +50% Premium Class bonus is added. JAL works the same way with First Class and Class J.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Yes, as you found out the original fare basis determines the “base” to which the +50% Premium Class bonus is added. JAL works the same way with First Class and Class J.
Thanks for confirming, good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.