Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F vs J for award bookings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Based on the price difference between J and F for award ticketing, it's a steal to take J. I'm sure NH will raise the J prices soon for awards. F is not worth 2x the price of J on NH.

I would say NH's F product is soso, it's not as big as other carriers and lacks onboard IFE. The display screen has poor quality resolution, is very slow, and the seats are getting old.
Food was going down hill but should be good after March 1st. Service of course is fine as usual.

I find it much easier to find award seats in F than J which is why I generally opt for F though.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Based on the price difference between J and F for award ticketing, it's a steal to take J. I'm sure NH will raise the J prices soon for awards. F is not worth 2x the price of J on NH.

I would say NH's F product is soso, it's not as big as other carriers and lacks onboard IFE. The display screen has poor quality resolution, is very slow, and the seats are getting old.
Food was going down hill but should be good after March 1st. Service of course is fine as usual.

I find it much easier to find award seats in F than J which is why I generally opt for F though.
Hmm in light of this maybe I will just do J one way and F the other. That way I can experience F on ANA yet save some points for a future trip.
IAH2MEL likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
New York to Tokyo is a longer flight than Tokyo to New York due to head winds. Thus, I would recommend F on the outbound to Tokyo and J on the inbound.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aquanine
New York to Tokyo is a longer flight than Tokyo to New York due to head winds. Thus, I would recommend F on the outbound to Tokyo and J on the inbound.
How much of a time difference between the two flights is there? I was thinking Tokyo-NY in F because maybe the F lounge in Tokyo would be better, although I think I may have been to it years ago when I flew SQ Suites out of Tokyo
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:01 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by aquanine
On the other hand, inflight catering tends to be better ex-Japan, especially in F.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:56 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, the decision will possibly be made for you based on award inventory released by NH.

After thinking about this during dinner, I strongly suggest trying to do the F flights last so that there is a full appreciation of just how good NH Business really is. Doing Business second may seem like a disappointment that it does not deserve.
Tokyoite likes this.

Last edited by roberto99; Feb 21, 2019 at 3:52 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by armagebedar
On the other hand, inflight catering tends to be better ex-Japan, especially in F.
ANA suite check-in is also a fun experience, and one that doesn't have an equivalent ex-US.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99
OP, the decision will possibly be made for you based on award inventory released by NH.

After thinking about this during dinner, I strongly suggest trying to do the F flights last so that there is a full appreciation of just how good NH Business really is. Doing Business second may seem like a disappointment that it does not deserve.
As you said originally the decision may be made for me based upon availability, but I like the idea of ending the trip in F. I'm doing SQ in J to SYD and then coming back SIN-JFK via Suites for that very reason. I am already well aware of suites products but it just felt like the trip in J would be more enjoyable with the excitement of a whole journey in front of me rather than at the end of one. Of course, the second I leave an airport after a first class flight I feel like I'm right back to being a relative nobody!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Red259
How much of a time difference between the two flights is there? I was thinking Tokyo-NY in F because maybe the F lounge in Tokyo would be better, although I think I may have been to it years ago when I flew SQ Suites out of Tokyo
Max 2 hrs time difference. You'll notice all the diamond members like to use there upgrade points go back to Japan rather than to US cause the flights longer.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I'd consider the arrival times as well. If you take the HND-JFK flight, you probably need to sleep as much as you can on the plane, since it gets into JFK at 9 am (possibly earlier if you run into a strong jet stream). In that case I'd book C and probably wouldn't bother with F. The other flights have afternoon/evening arrivals, which make it easier to stay awake and enjoy the F experience without wrecking yourself for days afterward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.