Wiki Posts
Search

Recorded English announcements?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
Recorded English announcements?

I recently flew NRT-SJC, and while the Japanese announcements after take off and before landing were made by the purser, the English ones were a recorded message. I have not encountered this before, and wonder if this was specific to the flight, at the discretion of the crew, or a new policy.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by naeglerian
I recently flew NRT-SJC, and while the Japanese announcements after take off and before landing were made by the purser, the English ones were a recorded message. I have not encountered this before, and wonder if this was specific to the flight, at the discretion of the crew, or a new policy.
It happens occasionally, yes. I'm not sure about the rules on it, if any exist. I mean, as long as the same information is being disseminated, it's not a huge deal.

On the IAD route, I've heard them throw in Vietmanese, too--the DC area has quite the Vietnamese population--but all of it was live.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
Thanks for the reply. I've never heard recorded flight announcements on any other airline, and I've flown ANA multiple times over the past decade, so I was wondering if this was something new. It wasn't a problem, though.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Press 1 for English 2 for Spanish.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thanks for the reply. I've never heard recorded flight announcements on any other airline, and I've flown ANA multiple times over the past decade, so I was wondering if this was something new. It wasn't a problem, though.
I would say recorded annoucements in English are kind of rare, but going to areas of less comon languages I hear them fairly often. JAL always has a some recorded Russian annoucements on the Moscow route. I often hear BA or Lufthansa run a recorded message in Danish/Swedish/Norwegian when heading to Denmark/Sweden/Norway.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
I saw this post yesterday afternoon and mentally noted that I'd never heard of that before, and then that very night I flew HND-GMP, and most of the English announcements were recorded. It was my first time ever hearing recorded *English* announcements on ANA (I also don't recall hearing them and most other airlines, too).
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Cost cutting to save on English Language FAs staffing numbers? (i.e. not just any English speaking FA is qualified/allowed to make the announcements....)
But, frankly, who cares? = Unless it is an irregular update (diversion/delay or some other emergency), its the same repeated info. anyway.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by slimjin
I saw this post yesterday afternoon and mentally noted that I'd never heard of that before, and then that very night I flew HND-GMP, and most of the English announcements were recorded. It was my first time ever hearing recorded *English* announcements on ANA (I also don't recall hearing them and most other airlines, too).
I distinctly remember hearing recorded announcements on Japanese domestic LCCs. Jetstar, Peach.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: QF WP
(Freely admitting i’m not sure of the specifics but hopefully someone might know)

isnt this an airbus thing?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nancypants
(Freely admitting i’m not sure of the specifics but hopefully someone might know)

isnt this an airbus thing?
As ANA does not yet operate an Airbus capable of performing the SJC route, I guess it is also a Boeing thing. I don't know if SJC would even be capable of handling the Airbus soon joining the fleet.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As ANA does not yet operate an Airbus capable of performing the SJC route, I guess it is also a Boeing thing. I don't know if SJC would even be capable of handling the Airbus soon joining the fleet.
thanks for this! I thought it might be so but all of my experiences of planes with these kind of recorded messages have been a320 family
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Most of the Embraer jets operated by regional parters for US carriers use recorded safety announcements. This makes great sense on the 50-seat aircraft, since there is only one FA and they can then do the demo along with the announcement (as opposed to the 50-seat CRJ, where the FA has to put down the microphone and do the demos at the end). The larger Embraer jets also seem to generally have these recorded announcements available.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Most of the Embraer jets operated by regional parters for US carriers use recorded safety announcements. This makes great sense on the 50-seat aircraft, since there is only one FA and they can then do the demo along with the announcement (as opposed to the 50-seat CRJ, where the FA has to put down the microphone and do the demos at the end). The larger Embraer jets also seem to generally have these recorded announcements available.
In Europe i have had recorded safety announcements on CRJs as well. But all the other announcements have been live. Generally, flights with 1 or 2 flight attendants mostly seem to get a recorded safety announcement.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I've never heard recorded flight announcements on any other airline
You must not fly AA often. Both domestic and international AA have recorded announcements that are a video played on screen. Even had a comment from an LAA (legacy AA) FA flying on a LUS (legacy US Airways) flight saying that it was real strange for him to have to read announcements because he has never had to do it.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seigex
You must not fly AA often. Both domestic and international AA have recorded announcements that are a video played on screen. Even had a comment from an LAA (legacy AA) FA flying on a LUS (legacy US Airways) flight saying that it was real strange for him to have to read announcements because he has never had to do it.
I definitely heard recorded English announcements on my recent ANA flights YVR-HND-TSA and back. And flying United, I've heard them use recorded (English) announcements for seatbelts, and for the landing process, on both domestic and international routes in the past year or so. I don't think it's a flight-attendant thing as the pilots would normally do the seatbelt announcement. I remember being glad when I heard the recorded seatbelt one, I'd rather have the pilots' hands on the yoke rather than picking up a microphone to make an announcement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.