Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
NH 956 PEK-NRT 1025-1500 A-320

Hard to believe but this is the best meal I've ever had on a plane
What was so good about it?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
What was so good about it?
The quality of the food was really high, every bite was delicious. It tasted fresh and like something you'd actually want to eat on the ground.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
The quality of the food was really high, every bite was delicious. It tasted fresh and like something you'd actually want to eat on the ground.
You mean as opposed to tasting like something that had been dropped on the ground?

I guess we need to start a best meal in the sky thread somewhere else in FlyerTalk to compare this one with the other ne plus ultra repasts.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: LH FTL
Having a forthcoming flight from MUC to HND in spring next year, I followed NH's menus for a while now. What I noticed is that the International Cuisine usually has a beef dish, but the menus only mention the way it is prepared and the sauce it comes with. Does this mean that it's really only the beef in the sauce on the plate, no side dishes like potatoes or vegetables or anything? Or how will it look like? I'm really a bit confused, as it seems that for the Japanese menu every single item is listed.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
There are sides, but mainly meat. This is from LAX NRT (sorry for the picture quality)

Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:00 pm

I'll be flying in CGK-HND-BKK (both on 789) and was seeing on ANA's website that there are a lot of special menus. I don't have any particular need but was wondering if it's worth trying a specific one.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Sciamano
I'll be flying in CGK-HND-BKK (both on 789) and was seeing on ANA's website that there are a lot of special menus. I don't have any particular need but was wondering if it's worth trying a specific one.
If you have no dietary restrictions, I would go for the menus offered on board. It is not like the US where ordering a special meal is likely to get you a better option, more likely the other way around The standard meal is likely to be the better option
royng, IndyHoosier and Ghoulish like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you have no dietary restrictions, I would go for the menus offered on board. It is not like the US where ordering a special meal is likely to get you a better option, more likely the other way around The standard meal is likely to be the better option
Thank you
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:53 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
NH821 HND-HKG (2018 Dec)

NH821 HND-HKG (1am red-eye)
2018 Dec

Japanese menu shown in photo
Attached Images    
24left and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:31 pm

These are pictures from December (2018) from JFK-HND.. it shows the amuse, the main dish (international) and dessert (which I opted for the cheeses). Overall, this was such a great introduction to ANA since the food was fantastic! There were some quircky parts but overall the service was 5 star. We somewhat recently went on J class on Emirates and my husband and I did comment on how flashy/glamourous everything was (love the bar on the airplane!), the lounges were spectacular in Dubai. But the food was not. ANA food was way above other airlines by far. Apologies for anything wrong since it's my first time posting pictures here.

Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
NH821 HND-HKG (2019 Mar0

NH821 HND-HKG (1am red-eye)
2019 Mar

Japanese menu shown in photo
Attached Images   
24left and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:29 am

NH822 HKG-HND (2019 Mar)

NH822 HKG-HND (~1am red eye)
2019 Mar
Japanese meal shown in photo

The simmered chicken was excellent! Tasty, juicy, tender and not oily!
Attached Images   
chrisny2, 24left and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Have an upcoming NRT-ORD flight in J. Should I preorder the Japanese meal? I’d be bummed if I ended up with the western dinner, but a post upthread makes me wonder if I’ll get a lesser option by preordering. Thoughts?
Old May 5, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karenkay
Have an upcoming NRT-ORD flight in J. Should I preorder the Japanese meal? Id be bummed if I ended up with the western dinner, but a post upthread makes me wonder if Ill get a lesser option by preordering. Thoughts?
Are you thinking about my post where I write "don't order a SPECIAL meal unless you need it"? Securing the Japanese menu is not ordering a special meal, it is just choosing between the standard options in advance. If not that post, which one did you have in mind?

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; May 5, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Are you thinking about my post where I write "don't order a SPECIAL meal unless you need it"? Securing the Japanese menu is ordering a special meal, it is just choosing between the standard options in advance. If not that post, which one did you have in mind?
yes, thanks, thats exactly what I was referring to. the website does refer to it as ordering a special meal, so I was concerned Id somehow miss something betterI suppose this is old UA thinking, where they would give you a coach special meal even if you were in business (on domestic flights, to be fair).

sounds like I can order my special Japanese meal in advance and get exactly what Im hoping for. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.