Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight cancellation due to runway issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Flight cancellation due to runway issues

Last month, on our flight back from Japan, we had the following ANA itinerary: Itami to Haneda; Haneda to Vancouver. I did an online checkin the night before the Itami flight. When we arrived in Itami, we found that the flight was cancelled due to a runway problem in Haneda - ANA didn't even bother contacting us either via email or phone. The ANA rep told us to take the Shinkansen train. I asked whether there was an alternative flight to either Haneda or Vancouver, and they said that all the flights are full to Haneda and since ANA domestic is different from ANA international, they can't do anything with regards to alternative flights to Vancouver. We asked for what our options are and were told that they recommend that we take the Shinkansen. With no other options being presented, we did take the Shinkansen and barely made our Haneda flight. Upon arrival to Vancouver, I submitted a polite letter to the ANA website to see if I can get reimbursed for the cancelled flight or the Shinkansen. Yesterday, I got an email from ANA effectively saying that they are not going to do anything about it because it wasn't their fault that they had to cancel the flight. So I guess my questions are:
  • As soon as the flight was cancelled, shouldn't I have been informed by ANA? I checked with my travel agency and they said that ANA had my phone and email. That would have saved us time and money by not needing to travel to the Itami airport.
  • If the flight cancellation was due to a runway problem, ANA doesn't need to try to help me find alternate flight options?
  • If there was a flight cancellation, what should have been my options? The only thing the ANA reps suggested was to take the Shinkansen train which it turned out that they weren't going to reimburse anyways.
  • If the flight cancellation was not their fault, ANA doesn't need to reimburse me for the cancelled flight?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:12 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
This sure sounds like force majeure to me. I would continue to follow up with your travel agency (who should press ANA) and possibly involve the CTA if necessary.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/servicei...l/weatherinfo/

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/air-travel-complaints
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
travel insurance.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:25 am

It is unfortunate you had to go through that. Something along the same lines happened to me, which I posted, too. ANA Domestic definitely needs to work on some customer service policies. Especially for its foreign customers who are used to getting notified about flight delays or cancellations. Plus some guidance about alternatives when the customer gets stuck or stranded, due to the affected ANA flight. Odd, since good customer service is so highly valued in Japan.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/book-pla...stic/expenses/

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/book-pla...ses/#anchor008

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/amc/refe.../transfer.html

Originally Posted by Vincent Lasmarias
Last month, on our flight back from Japan, we had the following ANA itinerary: Itami to Haneda; Haneda to Vancouver. I did an online checkin the night before the Itami flight. When we arrived in Itami, we found that the flight was cancelled due to a runway problem in Haneda - ANA didn't even bother contacting us either via email or phone. The ANA rep told us to take the Shinkansen train. I asked whether there was an alternative flight to either Haneda or Vancouver, and they said that all the flights are full to Haneda and since ANA domestic is different from ANA international, they can't do anything with regards to alternative flights to Vancouver. We asked for what our options are and were told that they recommend that we take the Shinkansen. With no other options being presented, we did take the Shinkansen and barely made our Haneda flight. Upon arrival to Vancouver, I submitted a polite letter to the ANA website to see if I can get reimbursed for the cancelled flight or the Shinkansen. Yesterday, I got an email from ANA effectively saying that they are not going to do anything about it because it wasn't their fault that they had to cancel the flight. So I guess my questions are:
  • As soon as the flight was cancelled, shouldn't I have been informed by ANA? I checked with my travel agency and they said that ANA had my phone and email. That would have saved us time and money by not needing to travel to the Itami airport.
  • If the flight cancellation was due to a runway problem, ANA doesn't need to try to help me find alternate flight options?
  • If there was a flight cancellation, what should have been my options? The only thing the ANA reps suggested was to take the Shinkansen train which it turned out that they weren't going to reimburse anyways.
  • If the flight cancellation was not their fault, ANA doesn't need to reimburse me for the cancelled flight?
Old May 9, 2018, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
travel insurance.
I actually did have both Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption insurance. But when I checked with the Insurance company, apparently because only one leg of the trip got affected, the reason for the cancellation wasn't allowed. If I ended up missing the flight from Haneda to Vancouver, I would have been eligible.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Vincent Lasmarias
I actually did have both Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption insurance. But when I checked with the Insurance company, apparently because only one leg of the trip got affected, the reason for the cancellation wasn't allowed. If I ended up missing the flight from Haneda to Vancouver, I would have been eligible.
um....so your insurance wasn’t enough.
get a better one next time!
or, make sure your trip is decisively interrupted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.