Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High Surcharges on LAX - MNL in J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:58 am
Original Poster

High Surcharges on LAX - MNL in J

Will be our first time flying on ANA. I was very surprised with the $425 fees per traveler, over $850 total for 2 pax. I'm torn as the mileage requirement was very reasonable (85k per person RT for J).

Is this normal? Any ways to avoid?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by gogovrml
Will be our first time flying on ANA. I was very surprised with the $425 fees per traveler, over $850 total for 2 pax. I'm torn as the mileage requirement was very reasonable (85k per person RT for J).

I don't know what you mean 'normal'.
ANA doesn't publish surcharge for non-Japan bound route, such as US to PH. So, I couldn't check tax/surcharge with a publicshed one.
Some source-destination country pair have higher surcharge.

If you use separate awards (US-JP, JP-PH), it costs 110,000miles and 240USD(tax and surchage).
Yes, it requires 25,000 more miles.

Or, LAX-xNRT-MNL//SIN-xNRT-LAX costs 100,000miles and 13130JPY(120USD?)
(surcharge between US and SG is cheaper)
gogovrml likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gogovrml

Fuel surcharge on ANA is peculiar. Like Wasabi Tofu explained, ANA only publishes fuel surcharge to/from Japan. So in a period with no fuel surcharge for example, this only applies on itineraries with flights that begin and/or end in Japan.

LAX to MNL requires a connection in Japan if you stay on a single itinerary. This can trigger a different set of unpublished fuel surcharges, which tend to be very high. ITA Matrix provides a fairly accurate estimate of the unpublished NH fuel surcharges.

In order to minimize the fuel surcharge, you will need to break up your trip as follows:

LAX-Japan-LAX on one ticket. And Japan-MNL-Japan on another ticket.

Of course, depending on which mileage program you are using, this may significantly increase the mileage cost of your itineraries. So there is a trade off for sure. Or you can consider booking the itinerary using miles from a program which does not charge NH fuel surcharges such as United Mileage Plus.
gogovrml likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the explanation. Was taken aback somewhat as my research all said that ANA fees and surcharges were reasonable. Now I know it's much more nuanced than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.