Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Late Night HND-LAX - Inflight Service?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Late Night HND-LAX - Inflight Service?

I remember reading comments a year or so ago that the late evening HND-LAX flight had little or no inflight service - no meal to speak of, just a light snack.

Is this still the case, or did the service get upgraded to a proper full meal with on-demand inflight snacks and pre-arrival breakfast?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I remember reading comments a year or so ago that the late evening HND-LAX flight had little or no inflight service - no meal to speak of, just a light snack.

Is this still the case, or did the service get upgraded to a proper full meal with on-demand inflight snacks and pre-arrival breakfast?
You can check meal service on the web.

See
https://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/g...c_201709_m.pdf

English menu in 2nd page.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So basically I need to mix and match my own collection of snacks and such until breakfast - they really should offer proper meal service, or at least allow customers to pre-order it vs catering the whole cabin if they feel most might decline full dinner.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:10 pm

Light meal service used to make sense when the flight left after midnight. Now it's moved to 22:55, which is not too late to enjoy a full meal right after take-off given the flight length. SYD flight (22:00) or YVR (21:50) gets a full meal.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:05 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Thanks for this thread. I'm on the HND-LAX flight in a couple weeks and didn't realize there was no true meal service after takeoff. I'm rather surprised they don't offer a structured snack type of meal with appetizer, salad, entree, dessert.

Would it be gauche of me to ask them to create a meal, say, of a garden salad, dashi soup, the tuna/cheese focaccia and a cheese plate soon after the initial beverage service?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Thanks for this thread. I'm on the HND-LAX flight in a couple weeks and didn't realize there was no true meal service after takeoff. I'm rather surprised they don't offer a structured snack type of meal with appetizer, salad, entree, dessert.

Would it be gauche of me to ask them to create a meal, say, of a garden salad, dashi soup, the tuna/cheese focaccia and a cheese plate soon after the initial beverage service?
It is anytime service for the snacks, so you can freely combine and choose your time for the service. So no feathers roughed by doing that.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL

Not at all. I'm sure the FAs would be happy to oblige since most passengers would go straight to bed.

I was on NH802 SIN-NRT in F with a 6am departure and the catering was truly depressing. A "petite" breakfast followed by anytime light dishes. No real meal on a 7-hour daytime flight in F
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.

no problem but it's not a meal. Better eat in the lounge
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
I presume all this discussion pertains to premium class (seeing as the above link is a biz class menu). So if there's no meal after take-off in J for this flight, does this mean there's no dinner in coach either? That seems wrong for such a long flight. EVA and CX always serve full dinners in Y on long-haul red-eyes, whether the flight leaves at midnight or 2am. In my experience, at least half the passengers are typically awake to accept the dinner even at that hour. Even DL served a full dinner after take-off when they used to have a ~10pm SEA-HND flight.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
I presume all this discussion pertains to premium class (seeing as the above link is a biz class menu). So if there's no meal after take-off in J for this flight, does this mean there's no dinner in coach either? That seems wrong for such a long flight. EVA and CX always serve full dinners in Y on long-haul red-eyes, whether the flight leaves at midnight or 2am. In my experience, at least half the passengers are typically awake to accept the dinner even at that hour. Even DL served a full dinner after take-off when they used to have a ~10pm SEA-HND flight.
There is a snack service and a breakfast service in economy class.

http://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/gu...y_201709_m.pdf
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:37 pm

I see, thanks for the link!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond+SFC+1MM (NH*G), Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Penn Club of NY
Also, feel free to ring the flight attendants whenever and however many times you like for snack requests and drink refills... You're not dealing with the UA grumpy grannies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.